AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hawaii Missile Alert Fiasco  (Read 5758 times)

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:34 AM

bing101

Re: Hawaii Missile Alert Fiasco
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-hawaii-employee-not-cooperating-20180125-story.html

Here is an update the person in the center of the Alert fiasco is allegedly not cooperating with the FCC over why this incident took place.

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 01:16:31 AM
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »

Hm.  That's more peculiar than anything.  If it was just "I pressed the wrong button, I'm sorry" the person could just say so and probably face no criminal charges.  Refusing to cooperate leaves open speculation about even worst things.  Someone double-dog dared him?

Hurricane Rex

• Speed 75 or bust. Keep on traveling.

• Location: Sherwood Oregon (Dec, Jun-Sep), Corvallis, Oregon (Oct, Nov, Jan-May)
  • Last Login: April 26, 2021, 02:46:13 PM
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 02:18:28 AM »

Hm.  That's more peculiar than anything.  If it was just "I pressed the wrong button, I'm sorry" the person could just say so and probably face no criminal charges.  Refusing to cooperate leaves open speculation about even worst things.  Someone double-dog dared him?

Or could it be worse than that?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

bing101

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »

roadman

• Last Login: June 16, 2021, 02:01:23 PM
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »

Someone double-dog dared him?

I bet the conservation went something like this:  "Listen smart^$$, my old man says if you push the "this is for real" button, you're gonna create a huge panic and p!$$ a lot op people off."

"Oh yeah, you're full of beans and so's your old man.  What would he know about it anyway?"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• Last Login: June 18, 2021, 03:46:23 PM
    • List of links
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 04:55:53 AM »

From The Verge:

Hawaii emergency worker behind false missile alert said he thought the state was really under attack
The emergency alert worker who sent a false ballistic missile alert to Hawaii residents told officials that he believed the state was actually under attack, according to a preliminary report from the FCC.

The FCC’s report is a bizarre development in the incident, which left people scrambling after receiving a message about incoming missiles. After the false alert, the state attributed the incident to an accident, and said the worker had selected the wrong option in a drop-down menu.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.