News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

High Profile Construction Projects 2018

Started by webny99, April 27, 2018, 09:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What are the most important, say top five or so, road construction projects for your state in 2018?
And by way of extension, what are the highest profile projects nation-wide?

Extensive discussion can probably be saved for the regional boards, but I thought it would be good to know about some of the really major (interstate system) projects nationwide, now that construction season is underway  :D

Only one big one in my area, that being the I-490/I-390/NY 390/NY 31 interchange: lanes are being added, new ramps built to NY 31, and eventually about 3/4 mile of new southbound roadway.

Joe The Dragon

I-490 (IL) underway
I-294 (IL) rebuild starting this year

oscar

It's always construction season in Hawaii. But hardly any road construction.

Only significant project is the newest segment of the Lahaina Bypass (HI 3000) in west Maui, opened earlier this week but still some finishing touches remaining. Other projects are still in environmental reviews.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Jmiles32

For VA its by far the Transform I-66 project(construction just began and is expected to last until late 2022). The Rappahannock River Crossing Project(southbound) on I-95 is probably a distant #2, with the continued widening of I-64 up to Williamsburg #3.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

nexus73

Oregon has a SR 62 Bypass being built in Medford.  That would be the biggest downstate project I am aware of.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

I-5 reconfiguration in Tacoma continues

I-5 in Seattle is being repaved over weekend-long closures and lane reductions

The I-90 express lanes are being converted to light rail use

The SR 520 project is moving into the next phase (rebuilding the SR 513/Montlake interchange and replacing the eastbound approach bridge)

The SR 99 Tunnel is scheduled to open in October, followed by demolition of the Alaskan Way Viaduct

jp the roadgeek

I-84 in Waterbury widening

I-84 Aetna viaduct (emergency) rehabilitation

I-95 Gold Star (Thames River) Bridge reconstruction

I-95 Moses Wheeler (Housatonic River) Bridge

I-91/CT 15 interchange reconstruction in Hartford (due to start 5/28)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Charles2

In Alabama, nothing tops the construction at the I-65/I-20/59 interchange in Birmingham.  It's been going on since 2016 and won't be completed until 2020.  Ramps are under construction that will drastically alter access to downtown from both I-20/59 and I-65, then later this year I-20/59 will be closed through downtown as the elevated roadway that was built in 1973 will be torn down and rebuilt.  In advance through traffic being rerouted onto I-459 around the city, that route is being repaved from Bessemer to Hoover.

Techknow

There are many projects ongoing in California, here's what I can come up with, in no particular order:

Construction of a new highway routing over the Mud Creek slide that impacted CA 1 last year, expected to finish this fall.

Construction of the Centennial Corridor to connect the Westside Parkway with CA-58 in Bakersfield, both west and east of CA 99.

In San Francisco the Bus Rapid Transit construction has been ongoing since 2016 at Van Ness Avenue, AKA US 101.

Construction of a new expressway routing for CA 58 at Kramer Junction just started at January this year.

Various projects being done to improve interchanges and lanes at I-5 in Los Angeles County, expected to finish at 2020. Maybe by then it will be more than six lanes at that area.

The Sonoma-Marin Narrows project has been ongoing for at least 3 to 4 years to widen US 101 between Novato and Petaluma from 4 to 6 lanes, and get rid of the remaining at-grade intersections there.

US 89

For Utah, the top projects this year include:

- I-15 Technology Corridor reconstruction
- I-215 NW quadrant reconstruction (including a new DDI)
- New SB lane on I-15 in SL County
- Climbing lane on WB I-80, Parleys Summit
- Mountain View Corridor construction in Utah County
- Several interchanges on Bangerter Highway

SSOWorld

I-90 widening Madison to Beloit
I-94 widening Milwaukee to Kenosha
Zoo Interchange (Wrapping up this year)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 28, 2018, 09:00:51 AM
I-90 widening Madison to Beloit
I-94 widening Milwaukee to Kenosha
Zoo Interchange (Wrapping up this year)
US-10/HWY 41 interchange and WIS-441
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

pianocello

Iowa:

I-74 bridge replacement between Bettendorf and Moline, IL began construction last year and is expected through 2021

The I-80/I-380 interchange near Iowa City is being converted from a cloverleaf to a turbine over the next several years, with construction beginning this year

If I understand it correctly, the DOT is doing a major overhaul of the Interstates in Council Bluffs, including a 12-lane (3+3+3+3) multiplex between I-29 and I-80. I think they've been working on that for a few years, but it could be another few years before it's complete.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadfro

Nevada has two major high-profile projects going on this year, both of which have been ongoing for a couple years now:

(1) I-11/US 93 Boulder City Bypass - completion expected in October 2018

(2) Project Neon (I-15 reconstruction/widening & HOV flyover to US 95) - ongoing, with "the main event" (greatest traffic impacts to I-15) going from March 2018 through most of the rest of the year.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on April 27, 2018, 10:56:25 PM
For VA its by far the Transform I-66 project(construction just began and is expected to last until late 2022). The Rappahannock River Crossing Project(southbound) on I-95 is probably a distant #2, with the continued widening of I-64 up to Williamsburg #3.

There is the $3.4 billion I-64 HRBT and approaches expansion between I-664 and I-564, but that is scheduled for 2019 award.

The $410 million I-64 High-Rise Bridge expansion, and widening of 9 miles of I-64, began in 2018.
http://64highrise.org/
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ftballfan

Michigan:

I-75 reconstruction through Downriver and in central Oakland County
I-696 reconstruction in Macomb County
I-96 reconstruction on the north side of Grand Rapids

txstateends

TX:
(There are more than the following, but what I know of)

* I-35E, I-635 to US 380 (redoing as well as adding tolled express lanes; most of what is left is around and south of Denton for now)
* I-35E, downtown Dallas to US 67 exit & US 67, I-35E to I-20 (the "Southern Gateway" is just getting going; redo/widening of both freeways, structure preparation for a future deck park between Marsalis and Ewing exits... will take around ~3 years)
* I-35W, downtown Fort Worth to US 81-US 287 split (redoing as well as adding tolled express lanes; the remainder of work is around downtown and just to the north)
* US 380, Dallas N. Tollway to TX 289-Preston Rd. (elevated lanes over Preston (not sure of what will be done at the Tollway), making the stretch more like a freeway)
* TX 121/TX 360 (one of the last parts of the "DFW Connector" project; mainly redo with making ramps and approaches better)
* TX 183, FM 157 to near I-35E (redoing/widening as well as adding tolled express lanes)
* Loop 335, Amarillo (eventually the city and TxDOT want all the loop to be freeway; currently work from the area of the I-27 interchange over to the FM 1541-Washington St. exit into a freeway-style with service roads and grade separations)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

shadyjay

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 27, 2018, 11:42:14 PM
I-95 Moses Wheeler (Housatonic River) Bridge
I-91/CT 15 interchange reconstruction in Hartford (due to start 5/28)

Pretty sure the I-91/CT 15 interchange got put on hold indefinitely due to the transportation fund depletion.  A contract was to be let this spring for the project but it never appeared in the bid docs.  The Moses Wheeler replacement is all done for the most part - drove over it earlier in the week.  No more construction signs up and things pretty much wrapped up "above deck".    There are, however, 3 active sign replacement contracts currently underway:  CT 8-Derby to Waterbury, I-84-Southington to Farmington, I-91-Groton to RI state line.

shadyjay

Vermont:
Replacement of the I-91 bridges over the Williams River in Rockingham is the big one, going on Year 2. 

New Hampshire:
Continued widening of I-93 between Salem and Manchester, though much of the southern half is done.
Continued widening of the Spaulding Tpke in Newington and Dover, concentrating primarily in the Dover area.

SSR_317

In INDIANA, the top 5 current projects are listed on INDOT's website (in no particular order)  as follows:
■ I-69/IN 37 Section 5: Bloomington to Martinsville, hoping to wrap up by August 31, 2018 (finally!)
■ I-65 Added travel lanes between IN 2 & US 30 in NW Indiana
■ I-65/I-70 NE Split in Indy, a massive rehab & overpass removals (structures built in the 1970s for ghost ramps originally intended prat of the never-built NE Freeway out to I-69 in Castleton)
■ US 33 relocation in downtown Elkhart
■ US 41 rehab in Evansville, including the SB Ohio River Bridge (which is actually in KY)

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesots

Minneapolis
I-35W: Year 2 of a 5-year reconstruction and improvement project between 46th St and I-94.

This is pretty much the only "major"  project in the state this year. Outstate, the gradual MN 60 widening in Southwest Minnesota will be completed.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on April 27, 2018, 11:02:22 PM
Oregon has a SR 62 Bypass being built in Medford.  That would be the biggest downstate project I am aware of.

Rick
There's also the I-5 widening in the SW suburbs, and the I-205 widening in east Portland.

sparker

The reconstruction of the I-80/I-680/CA 12 interchange complex in Cordelia is just breaking ground; this is an approximately 3-year project.  Also, the seeming perpetual work on I-580 between Pleasanton and the I-205 junction continues -- but traffic always seems to overwhelm that stretch by the time any phase is completed.  Finally, new HOV lanes -- parallel to the toll/express lanes -- are being constructed on I-680 between Fremont and Sunol (essentially CA 262 to CA 84).  For San Jose locals, expect this last project to result in a multitude of whining missives by commuters to the local "Roadshow" column in the Mercury "Murky" News.  Sometimes folks just don't understand that to make a proper omelet, eggs must be broken in the process!

cl94

NY:

Tappan Zee (duh)
I-81/NY 17 Prospect Mountain

Both of those are in their final stages. Everything else is relatively low-profile. I-87/NY 155 (starting this year) is a level down, I-390/490 a level below that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cbeach40

Michigan/Ontario
- Gordie Howe International Bridge construction will be starting this fall

Ontario alone
- 407E phase 2B - about 22 km of new freeway, extending Hwy 407 easterly to Hwy 35/115, and Hwy 418 southerly to Hwy 401
- Hwy 7N - new freeway between Kitchener and Guelph
- Hwy 427 expansion - widening from Fasken Dr to Derry Rd, extension northerly to Major Mackenzie Dr
- Hwy 401 - extension of complex freeway (core-collector system) westerly to Credit River
- Hwy 69 - next phase of freeway upgrade at French River
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.