Longest State Route You Haven't Been On.

Started by webny99, January 17, 2019, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

I have Colorado clinched, so obviously that doesn't apply.  My second highest percentage state is actually Idaho and I have not traveled on ID3 which is 117.68 miles.

Chris

Jim

Since my 2019 post, my answer for New York changed, and is now NY 19, at 108 miles, the 22nd longest state route.

For other states where I've lived or spent the most time:

Massachusetts: MA 27, 71 miles and 7th longest.
Florida: FL 77, 64 miles, 19th longest (counting the three longest A1A segments as separate routes).
New Mexico: I have not traveled the 4 longest routes at all, starting with NM 120 at 117 miles.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

CNGL-Leudimin

In my original post I said the longest (actual) State Route I had not been on was by default MT 200. But later on it was determined CA 1 is actually longer (including its US 101 concurrencies, formally not part of that route), so that is my true answer by default. For any regional routes in Aragon the answer remains unchanged.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Flint1979

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 17, 2019, 11:25:26 AM
I was kind of thinking of the same thing yesterday but never got around to making a post about it, then I see you made this post.

For Michigan, the longest state highway I haven't been on would probably be M-26. It's only 96 miles long.
I'll do a few more states too that I've spent time in but can't be too sure on which highways I have traveled on and which one's I haven't. I know I've never been on M-26 though because I have none of those counties that it goes through clinched. It travels through Ontonagon, Houghton and Keweenaw counties.

For Ohio, I'm going to have to say it's the longest state highway in the state. I have never recalled traveling on SR-7. That highway basically follows the eastern border of the state from near Chesapeake (opposite side of the Ohio River from Huntington, WV) to Conneaut at the very northeastern corner of the state. It ends at SR-531 where SR-531 ends at SR-7 lol.

For Indiana, again the longest state highway in the state wins with SR-62. I love the way Indiana has their numbering system setup, exactly the same way the US highway system is setup. There are some exceptions though with diagonal routes and a few 3 digit highways that act like 2 digit highways.

For Illinois, SR-78. I've been on the longer ones. SR-110, 1 and 9.
I've since been on M-26 in Michigan when I finished up clinching the rest of the counties in the state and also the same for OH-7 so I'm not sure about Ohio anymore but Michigan's would now be M-69 as I don't think I've ever been on that highway although I have driven past it's western terminus in Crystal Falls but never been on it.

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on January 17, 2019, 01:52:31 PM
Depends on how you count it -- UT 30 is my answer if you count the implied concurrencies on I-84/15 and US 89. I've never used a non-independent part of 30, but I've clinched both implied connections. If the connections don't count, my answer is UT 95.

30 is the longest state route in Utah (second-longest if the implied concurrencies don't count) and 95 is fourth-longest.

As for other states, my travels there tend to be focused on Interstates and US Highways, and if I pick up a random state route concurrency, great. I do try to make an effort to use freeway exits with route designations when I have to stop, though. But for the two other states where I have over 10% of mileage clinched:

Idaho: ID 75, the longest route. (Unless I went to Sun Valley as a baby, in which case it's ID 28, the 4th-longest.)
Colorado: CO 14, the longest -- I've crossed it at I-25 and passed the west end at US 40, but never turned onto it. The longest route I have used in CO is CO 141 in Grand Junction.

Almost every aspect of this answer has changed over the past 2.5 years. As far as Utah goes, I've now clinched SR 30 and 95, so the longest Utah state route I've never been on is now 276. I've also now driven Colorado's SH 14 west of Walden, leaving SH 71 as the longest route I have zero mileage on in that state. Idaho is still the same.

I do now have four more states where I've clinched over 10% of the state highway mileage. Those states and my longest untraveled routes in them are:

- Wyoming: WYO 59
- Georgia: SR 38
- Nevada: SR 318 (yes, the longest route - my travels here remain very heavily US and Interstate focused. longest route I have been on would be 233)
- New Mexico: NM 120 (see Nevada above - longest I have been on here is NM 456)

SkyPesos

For Ohio, it was OH 7 (longest in the state) until a couple weeks ago when I been on the short section concurrent with US 22 on a drive to Pittsburgh. Now it's OH 93, the third longest.

epzik8

The entire chain of Route 200s (Washington/Idaho/Montana/North Dakota/Minnesota)

I have been on MD 2, the longest in my state at 79.24 miles, all the way from its south end in Solomons to MD 10 in Pasadena, as well as two blocks of it on St. Paul Street between Mount Royal Avenue (at the ramp from I-83) and Biddle Street in Baltimore. MD 355 is my longest non-traveled Maryland route at 36.94 miles.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

PA: PA 414 (77.32 miles)
NY: NY 30 (291.13 miles)
NJ: NJ 70 (60.22 miles)
VA: VA 57 (86.45 miles)
MD: MD 32 (50.63 miles)
NC: NC 27 (197.17 miles)
DE: DE 16 (30.16 miles)  (I am looking to get a full clinch of DE eventually.)
WV: WV 20 (253.65 miles)
OH: OH 4 (209.47 miles)

*Mileage is based on Travel Mapping

I have not driven enough mileage in other states to bother.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

dlsterner

For the states that I have either lived in, or have significant driving mileage in:

Maryland:  MD 12 (about 30 miles) - one on my planned road trips will get some (if not all) of it.
Pennsylvania:  PA 18 (about 200 miles; longest in the state)
Florida:  FL 50 (about 120 miles; not sure how I missed it while I was there)
Virginia:  VA 40 (about 225 miles)
Delaware:  DE 30 (about 45 miles)
Washington DC:  None   :bigass:

For all states, I'm sure it would be MT 200.

DJDBVT

CT: CT 4 (46 mi)
MA: MA 38 (27 mi)
ME: ME 6 (207 mi)
NH: NH 111 (50 mi)
NY: NY 5 (370 mi)
RI: RI 102 (44 mi)
VT: VT 243 (1 mi)

paulthemapguy

The only state routes I haven't been on in IL are IL103, IL141, and IL166.  I guess IL141 is the longest out of those   :bigass:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 27, 2021, 04:31:48 PM
I have Colorado clinched, so obviously that doesn't apply.  My second highest percentage state is actually Idaho and I have not traveled on ID3 which is 117.68 miles.

Chris

And looks like my longest overall is TX16 as I have been on MT200, CA1, OK3, and AK1.

Chris

deathtopumpkins

I've clinched all of NH and MA.

Looking at my other top 10 most traveled (by %) states:
RI: 101
VT: 104
ME: 161
CT: 53
VA: 57
NJ: 47*
NY: 30
UT: 21

*state's longest route
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Hobart

In my state (Illinois), the longest state road that I've been on is Illinois Route 16.

If we're talking all of the state roads, I haven't been on Montana Route 200, which is apparently the longest numbered state road in the country. If we're counting state roads in different states which share a number and connect to each other, I'm gonna clinch it in a couple weeks, but if not, I'm not going to Montana anytime soon to do it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

thspfc

I've driven through an intersection with WI-80. I was on WI-80's pavement, I'm counting it.

So then it's WI-81, which is 124 miles long, the 24th longest state trunkline.

It's not WI-81, I've been on the Monroe bypass.

Final answer is the 81.5-mile WI-40, the 33rd longest.

Caps81943

VA-40 for me, the longest route in the state. It's sort of long but not ridiculously so--my state is not known for its long state routes. With no huge towns along the route and no major concurrencies, I've had no reason to travel it.

Bickendan

Arizona: 87
Arkansas: 14
British Columbia: 97
California: 49
Colorado: 14
Idaho: 75
Iowa: 3
Louisiana: 4
Michigan: 72
Minnesota: 1
Missouri: 5
Montana: 3
New Mexico: 120
New York: 17
North Dakota: 5
Ontario: 17
Oregon: 31
South Dakota: 20
Texas: 16
Utah: 24
Vermont: 30
Washington: 20
West Bengal: 12
Wisconsin: 32
Wyoming: 28

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 27, 2021, 09:08:03 PM
PA: PA 414 (77.32 miles)
NY: NY 30 (291.13 miles)
NJ: NJ 70 (60.22 miles)
VA: VA 57 (86.45 miles)
MD: MD 32 (50.63 miles)
NC: NC 27 (197.17 miles)
DE: DE 16 (30.16 miles)  (I am looking to get a full clinch of DE eventually.)
WV: WV 20 (253.65 miles)
OH: OH 4 (209.47 miles)

*Mileage is based on Travel Mapping

I have not driven enough mileage in other states to bother.

Updating since DE is fully clinched, and I have traveled on NY 30, NJ 70 (clinched), MD 32 (clinched), WV 20, and OH 4 since my original post.  I still do not think that any other states are worth doing at the moment besides AZ since I did do a full-on trip there about a year ago.

NY:  NY 3 (244.64 miles)
NJ:  NJ 72 (29.35 miles)
MD: MD 224 (26.71 miles) 
WV:  WV 10 (137.71 miles)
OH: OH 13 (165.09 miles, feels like one of the few north-south routes that I have not snuck in at least a concurrency on)
AZ: AZ 87 (286.67 miles, longest route in the state, was on my original route plan in September 2021, but got cut in the midst of redoing my route plan so that I could close the gap on US 60 between Phoenix and Globe on the Friday of that week as US 60 was closed for a bridge project on Tuesday)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

flan

MN: MN 102 - 19.3 miles
ND: ND 22 - 156 miles

NWI_Irish96

Since my last post in this thread, I've finished off Indiana. My second most-traveled state is Illinois and the longest route I haven't been on is IL 4, which is 172 miles long.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on July 29, 2021, 07:02:16 PM
I've driven through an intersection with WI-80. I was on WI-80's pavement, I'm counting it.

So then it's WI-81, which is 124 miles long, the 24th longest state trunkline.

It's not WI-81, I've been on the Monroe bypass.

Final answer is the 81.5-mile WI-40, the 33rd longest.
I was on WI-40 last month, so make it the 68-mile WI-93.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2019, 09:54:03 AM
What is the longest state route you have never been on?
Firstly in your own state, and then in any other states you may have lived or traveled in.

Wow! I made it further down the list than I thought I would.
Thanks to catching a section of NY 22 last August (and the NY 365/NY 26 multiplex), I now have traveled all of the top ten.
And I have been on NY 7 and NY 104, as well, so the longest I haven't been on, at #13, is NY 32.

I didn't even remember starting this thread, but anyways, my answer is unchanged in the last 3+ years. I still haven't been on NY 32, although I have now crossed it at-grade on NY 23A, so I can at least say I've seen it. I also picked up quite a bit of non-concurrent mileage on NY 26 for the first time this past weekend.

MATraveler128

I believe the longest I haven’t been on is ME 11 at a total of 401 miles. In my state, I’ve been on all the longest routes.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

oscar

Quote from: oscar on January 17, 2019, 11:37:41 AM
In Virginia, VA 94 in southwestern Virginia (26.17 miles, 56th longest). This doesn't include state-maintained secondary routes.

I've covered everything in AK, HI, MD, DE, and DC. I don't feel like repeating this exercise for all the remaining 45 states, though my longest completely untraveled state route anywhere might be AR 9 (230.12 miles in two segments).

I did a quick TM check of every state west of the Mississippi, and some of the larger states in the eastern U.S. My longest completely untraveled state route is probably Washington 26 (about 134 miles long).

Arkansas 9 no longer tops my list. Since my previous post, I've traveled part of the longer AR 9 segment, and the shorter one is only about 52 miles long.

Taking this into Canadian provinces and territories, my longest completely untraveled route up there is Quebec 167, about 341 miles long. Nobody else on TM has traveled any of that remote northern Quebec route, either.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

keithvh

I lived in Michigan but have never been on MI-28, the longest highway in the state (goes east-west across the Upper Peninsula).

As regards other states I've lived in:

Ohio - don't know for certain.
Colorado - CO-149, 8th longest in the state, it's a lightly traveled highway deep in the Rockies.
Pennsylvania - PA-44, 3rd longest in the state, lightly traveled highway in the north-central PA forests.
California - CA-299, 3rd longest in the state, east-west highway that transverses far northern California.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.