News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where do you start/stop hearing accents??

Started by OCGuy81, February 25, 2021, 05:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

When you take a road trip, where do you first start to notice regional dialects?

I'm reminded of a trip we took when I was a kid from southeastern Wisconsin (yes, living out west I'm now aware that part of the country has an accent) to see my grandparents who were snowbirds down in Florida.

I think I first started to hear southern accents in and around Louisville....maybe even southern Indiana.

But other parts of the country I'm curious about. For example, how far do you have to drive outside of Boston where it's a "car"  and not a "ka" ?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Kansas City is about where I start to hear Southern accents mixing with Midwestern ones.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SectorZ

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 25, 2021, 05:27:26 PM
But other parts of the country I'm curious about. For example, how far do you have to drive outside of Boston where it's a "car"  and not a "ka" ?

Not far, because less than 10% of the people around Boston speak this way.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 25, 2021, 05:33:40 PM
Kansas City is about where I start to hear Southern accents mixing with Midwestern ones.

I agree with that line from Minnesota as a native Minnesotan that lived in KC for 11 years. Missouri and Missourah aren't that far away from each other.

Chris

tolbs17

Bruce

Flying just about anywhere else.

Or traveling deep enough into the mountains, where you can hear some odd accents due to migration. There's pockets of Appalachia in the Cascades.

kphoger

Going to Missouri, there seems to be a huge shift in redneck-iness between Joplin/Springfield and Branson.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

When I walk out my front door, someone will speak English with a foreign accent. Haha

GaryV

I only have to go about 20 miles to Canada (when allowed) and I'll hear an accent.

Else, the south end of Ohio or the UP.

webny99

From Western NY, I notice differences in the accents beyond (a) the Canadian border, (b) Cleveland, (c) Albany, and (d) Scranton.

hbelkins

The Ohio River, and the Tennessee state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

I'm bad at noticing accents unless they are super obvious.

Stormwalker

I don't have to go anywhere.  All I have to do is call my sister, across town, or my mother (who only lives about two hours and a half hours away).

I have, and am accustomed to from others, the prototypical "Dallas" accent.  It's a mild Texas accent (but still enough Texas that for the two years I lived in Westchester County, New York, some people up there called me "Cowboy"), with maybe a touch of Midwest in it.  My sister and my Mom both have the rural East Texas accent.  In my Mom's case it's because that's where she's from.  I can only assume my sister got it from her.  It's different enough that people can tell when I've been on the phone with either of them because my accent becomes more pronounced afterward.

That said, sticking to the actual spirit of the question, if I go East on I-20 about 1 to 1.5 hours? I can hear the difference.

michravera

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2021, 05:42:42 PM
Flying just about anywhere else.

Or traveling deep enough into the mountains, where you can hear some odd accents due to migration. There's pockets of Appalachia in the Cascades.

I live in Fremont, CA. So the answer is "less than 10 meters from my front door". My down-one older neighbors barely speak English at all and when they do, it is with a heavy East Asian accent. The younger one there speaks with an East Asian accent. My up-one neighbors, the wife speaks Mexican-influenced English, the husband with a Mexican accent, the girls with a heavy California accent. The same goes for my step-daughter and me. My wife has a West Coast, but not completely Californian (but not completely "Air Force" either) accent. She often does put the "the" in freeway numbers even in Northern California.

I remember Super Bowl Sunday a couple of years ago (within shouting distance of Levi Stadium), when I got to hear the equivalent of "Holy Cow!" (or something just a bit more colorful) in 6 different languages when people saw the length of the queue for self-checkout at the Safeway. Around here, if you are looking for an accent and can't find it, I will maintain it is because you haven't looked very hard.

Dirt Roads

Seems to me that the I-85 corridor loses its Southern Access from say Gastonia pretty much all the way to Henderson.  With one big exception, the folks next door in Alamance County seem to have more of an Appalachian dialect (even though they are nowhere near the mountains).  Local history tells us that much of exodus into Tennessee and Kentucky came from "ancient Orange" back in the mid-to-late-1700s, at a time when Orange County was centered in the Haw River area of what's now Alamance County. 

Accordingly, the Southern accent picks up again along when you hit the northern tier counties of North Carolina (west of I-85) and bleeds over into Virginia and West Virginia.

I-55

Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2021, 07:42:57 PM
The Ohio River, and the Tennessee state line.

The only consistency in Kentucky I've had is "y'all."

Otherwise it varies by trip. Tennessee is solid southern, Indiana is solid midwestern. Kentucky gradually changes as you go north but you can find either accent just about anywhere along I-65.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jayhawkco on February 25, 2021, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 25, 2021, 05:33:40 PM

I agree with that line from Minnesota as a native Minnesotan that lived in KC for 11 years. Missouri and Missourah aren't that far away from each other.

Chris

People in the Kansas City area frequently ask me where I'm from because of my "accent."  I was born in this area, grew up here, and lived in this area almost my entire life.  One person even thought I was British.  Frankly, I don't think I could fake a British accent very convincingly even if I tried.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on February 25, 2021, 05:34:47 PM

I've heard it as far west as Sturbridge (been to a Dunkin there and it was a mixed bag).  It's totally gone by the time you reach Springfield or head down 84 into CT.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 28, 2021, 02:59:01 PM

I've heard it as far west as Sturbridge (been to a Dunkin there and it was a mixed bag).  It's totally gone by the time you reach Springfield or head down 84 into CT.
Worcester County has a much harsher accent than Boston in my experience -- having grown up in MA.  Boston's accent has a "smoothness" or flow as the Rs are dropped off.  Worcester just sounds like a bunch of longshoremen to me in comparison.

It's not a huge difference, but it is significant.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2021, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 28, 2021, 02:59:01 PM

Worcester County has a much harsher accent than Boston in my experience -- having grown up in MA.  Boston's accent has a "smoothness" or flow as the Rs are dropped off.  Worcester just sounds like a bunch of longshoremen to me in comparison.

It's not a huge difference, but it is significant.

Working and living in Worcester county for a decade allows me to concur with this.

It's a weird variant of the Providence accent, which is a weird, geographically isolated NY accent.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 05:51:29 PM
Going to Missouri, there seems to be a huge shift in redneck-iness between Joplin/Springfield and Branson.

Probably at about the Greene—Christian county line if I had to guess. One thing that I learned from the year I lived in Springfield is that Springfieldians love to take the piss out of Branson. "Going down to Branson? Gonna visit Steal Your Dollar City?"

I think a similar divide probably exists around the Greene—Webster county line too, going east on US-60. There was sort of a general expectation that Springfield was the "civilization" that people from back up in the Ozarks would come visit when they were in need of "civilization". Like doing Christmas shopping, for instance.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

That explains why on a family vacation to Boston I didn't hear even one person speak that way.  I wondered what the heck my parents were talking about regarding the accent.

I did hear someone talk that way on a school field trip to Cape Cod, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dirt Roads

Eastern North Carolina is home to the "Hoi Toider" dialect.  Centered on the island of Ocracoke, the accent/dialect is also common east of the Neuse River in Carteret County as well as in certain communities along both the Outer Banks and Inner Banks.  This seems particularly prevalent for folks living along of the US-70 tailhook and along the US-264 circumference around Lake Mattamuskeet.  There are some related dialects on islands in the Chesapeake Bay.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.