News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs that mention other artists

Started by hbelkins, August 10, 2021, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithE4Phx

The 1967 autobiographical Creeque Alley by the Mamas and Papas, mentions Roger McGuinn and Barry McGuire ("still gettin' higher") in the chorus.  They also mention John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful, plus themselves, in the lyrics.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 10, 2021, 07:27:51 PM
"The Seeker" by the Who - mentions Bob Dylan and the Beatles.

Not a musician, but "I asked Timothy Leary, but he couldn't help me, either."  Leary is also the subject of the Moody Blues' Legend of a Mind.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

dlsterner

Quote from: kurumi on August 10, 2021, 01:56:30 PM
Mojo Nixon - Don Henley Must Die mentions Don Henley and Sting

Mojo Nixon is also responsible for "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my Two Headed Love Child" and "Elvis is Everywhere"  (the Debbie Gibson song also mentions Tiffany)

I believe "Don Henley Must Die" also mentions Henley's bandmate Glenn Frey.  "Don Henley Must Die ... Don't let him get together with Glenn Frey"

Roadgeekteen

Billy Joel is mentioned in Deja Vu by Olivia Rodrigo.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

The Commodores song Nightshift mentions Marvin Gaye.

Hey Hey My My by Neil Young mentions " The King."  Of course it's Elvis.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

"Tim McGraw" Tayor Swift
"Marvin Gaye" Charlie Puth /Megan Trainor
"Good Time" - Owl City -  Lyrics: "What's up with the Prince song inside my head?"

Throckmorton

From the nearly completely obscure files:

The Animals, on the album Animalism, covered "Shake" by the great Sam Cooke.   

Eric Burdon works in a mention of Sam and also Otis Redding, who had previously covered the song.   

Proceed with caution

Throckmorton

Pure Prairie League in the song "You're Between Me" refs McKendree Spring.   

Proceed with caution

Throckmorton

There's a few references to other artists on Tom Waits' Nighthawks at the Diner.   

In "Nighthawk Postcards (From Easy Street)" there is a mention of Chuck E. Weiss and also George Perkins.   

Incidentally, Chuck E. Weiss is the Chuck E in Rickie Lee Jones' "Chuck E's in Love".   

There's another mention in "Nighthawk Postcards" and you really need to hear it to do it justice but it goes like this: "The el train tumbled across the trestles and it sounded like the ghost of Gene Krupa with an overhead cam and glasspacks."

Same album.
Song: "Putnam County"
Line: "As Bubba and the Roadmasters moaned in pool hall concentration   
and knit their brows to cover the entire Hank Williams songbook...   
whether you like it...or not."   

Proceed with caution

MinecraftNinja

The Clash - London Calling mentions the Beatles.

Roadgeekteen

Taylor Swift in Kanye West's Famous.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

amroad17

The end of the New Radicals song "You Get What You Give" mentions "Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson/You're all fakes, run to your mansions..."
Alan Jackson mentions George Jones in "Don't Rock the Jukebox".
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Ned Weasel

"Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Edit: Oh yeah, how could I forget "Pennyroyal Tea" by Nirvana?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

1995hoo

"Miles Davis and the Cool" by the Gaslight Anthem (obvious who it mentions, which it does as early as the first line of the song)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Another obvious reference: Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger (this one is about Mick)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Does Elton John's Empty Garden count? It's a tribute song to John Lennon and the coda reads " Hey Johnny, Won't you come out to play in your empty garden?"  Which does not say his name, but implies it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

Train

"Hey soul sister, ain't that Mr. Mister on the radio?"

1995hoo

"Johnny Bye Bye" by Springsteen–"The man on the radio said Elvis Presley died." (I believe "Come On (Let's Go Tonight)" from the compilation album The Promise has an almost identical lyric, though I haven't heard that song in a while.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

amroad17

Confederate Railroad had a song called "Elvis and Andy" in 1994--of course referring to Elvis Presley and Andy Griffith.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

TheHighwayMan3561

George Harrison's version of "Far East Man" starts with a spoken shoutout to Frank Sinatra, who had recently covered Harrison's "Something" and had a minor hit with it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 10, 2021, 12:57:57 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on August 10, 2021, 12:34:32 PM
Weird Al Yankovic had a song called Still Billy Joel to Me that he didn't put out because Billy Joel objected

"Weird Al"'s song "Word Crimes":

You should never
Write words using numbers
Unless you're seven
Or your name is Prince

He also had two songs "The Brady Bunch" and "Couch Potato" that rattle of large numbers of TV shows/stars.

One more "Weird Al" entry: his various polka medleys have references that originally appeared in other songs: Devo, Amadeus, Slim Shady
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2021, 09:22:00 PM

And Jackie Wilson.

"Slow Jams" by Jamie Foxx, Twista and Kanye West mentions Luther Vandross, Anita Baker, Ready For the World, New Edition and Michael Jackson.

Pink's "Don't Let Me Get Me" mentions Britney Spears.

LA Style came out with "James Brown Is Dead" in the early 90s. Would've been appropriate when he actually died in 2006.

US 89

Miley Cyrus's "Party in the USA" mentions both Jay-Z and Britney Spears.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: golden eagle on August 16, 2021, 11:02:26 PM

And Jackie Wilson.

And of course Van Morrison did the song Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile

The Righteous Brother's Rock & Roll Heaven mentions Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, and Jim Croce, among others.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 18, 2021, 09:09:57 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on August 16, 2021, 11:02:26 PM

And Jackie Wilson.

And of course Van Morrison did the song Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile

The Righteous Brother's Rock & Roll Heaven mentions Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, and Jim Croce, among others.

Speaking of Van:

"I'm Real Real Gone" mentions Wilson Picket, Solomon Burke, James Brown and Gene Chandler.

His version of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" the spoken word bridge he mentions Sidney Bechet, Louis Armstrong and Hank Williams.

"Cleaning Windows" he mentions Jimmy Rodgers, Blind Lemon, Sonny Terry, Brownie Mcghee, Muddy Waters, Christmas Humphries and Jack Kerouac (although writers).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.