News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Artists who mention themselves or band members by name in their songs

Started by KeithE4Phx, August 10, 2021, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Steely Dan - Show Biz Kids specifically mentions "Steely Dan T-shirt" in the lyrics

Girls' Generation's self titled song actually is an interesting twist as it is a cover of a late 80s tune (and thus arguably that kpop group got its name from the tune).  Having said that, kpop groups mentioning their own name in intros is not uncommon.  Specific to Girls' Generation, they namedrop themselves in their 2011 song The Boys - "Girls' Generation make you feel the heat" - and via abbreviation in the intro to their 2013 song I Got A Boy - "Ayo, GG!"

A little of a twist: Ben Folds's solo song Not The Same mentions a band member of his then-inactive band Ben Folds Five, when he talks about an event happening "at Robert Sledge's party"

In a couple of Billy Joel songs - namely Still Rock And Roll To Me - Billy directly precedes a Richie Cannata sax solo by yelling out "Hey Rico!".  In Piano Man, as he recounts his time playing at a piano bar in LA, he quotes a bar patron talking to him - "Bill, I believe this is killing me"

Before joining Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in a duo called Buckingham Nicks and one of the tunes is an instrumental from Lindsey titled "Stephanie" (Stevie's real first name)

During the Bitches' Brew era, one of Miles Davis's tunes on that album was called Miles Runs The Voodoo Down.  Another tune off that is named after that ensemble's guitarist: John McLaughlin.

Jason Molina's original band/project Songs:Ohia had a tune titled Cross The Road, Molina.

Another Beatles song came to mind here: John Lennon writing and singing in the lyric "The walrus was Paul" in Glass Onion, a sarcastic treatise towards fans who tended to overanalyze their lyrics (which to a degree also is why I Am The Walrus existed in the first place).

Chris Sampang

SectorZ

Quote from: TheStranger on August 12, 2021, 03:55:29 PM
Another Beatles song came to mind here: John Lennon writing and singing in the lyric "The walrus was Paul" in Glass Onion, a sarcastic treatise towards fans who tended to overanalyze their lyrics (which to a degree also is why I Am The Walrus existed in the first place).

Obscure reference to that, in Veruca Salt's "Volcano Girls", Nina Gordon sings the line "The Seether's Louise", in regards to co-vocalist Louise Post and the song "Seether" from their prior album. Exists solely just to reference the Beatles.

mgk920

This was fairly common for a while during the 1980s due to radio stations not identifying the songs that they were playing.

Dev identified her backup band ('The Cataracs') in her song 'In the Dark' (2012).

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

If we fudge things a bit, John Lennon's "God" has the line about believing in "just Yoko and me".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Duke87

Sean Paul is notorious for being unable to complete a song without saying his name.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Duke87 on August 12, 2021, 08:54:08 PM
Sean Paul is notorious for being unable to complete a song without saying his name.

DMX in "X Gon Give It To Ya"
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bulldog1979

"Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" by the Backstreet Boys. Fun aside, this song was on the their first American album (so they could hardly be "back"), but it came from their second European album. (The American debut drew from their first two European albums for its content.)

roadman65

Big Country mentions their name in their one big hit from 1983 called It's A Big Country.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmd41280

"Invisible Man" by Queen - all 4 members are mentioned by name
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.