News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State rivalries

Started by thspfc, August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

I don't know everything but AFAIK these are the rivals for every state in the union:

Washington vs Oregon
California vs Texas
California vs Nevada
Alaska vs Hawaii
Arizona vs New Mexico
Utah vs Colorado
California vs Montana
Idaho vs Montana
Colorado vs Wyoming
North Dakota vs South Dakota
Nebraska vs Kansas
Missouri vs Kansas
Missouri vs Illinois
Texas vs Oklahoma
Iowa vs Minnesota
Minnesota vs Wisconsin
Illinois vs Wisconsin
Michigan vs Ohio
Indiana vs Ohio
Kentucky vs Tennessee
Arkansas vs Louisiana
Louisiana vs Mississippi
Mississippi vs Alabama
Florida vs Georgia
North Carolina vs South Carolina
Virginia vs West Virginia
Virginia vs Maryland
Delaware vs New Jersey vs Pennsylvania (three way rivalry)
Delaware vs Maryland
Pennsylvania vs New York
New Jersey vs New York
California vs New York
Connecticut vs New York
Connecticut vs Massachusetts
Rhode Island vs Massachusetts
New Hampshire vs Massachusetts
New Hampshire vs Vermont
Maine vs ???? Who even is Maine's rival?

Which ones did I miss, or which ones on here are not actually rivalries?

hotdogPi

While I don't live close to the Rhode Island border, so I can't be entirely certain, I think they're allied with Massachusetts.

(at least recently; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_v._Massachusetts for one in 1838)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Rivalries at what?

But, in general...  Iowa versus every other surrounding state, because they all like to make fun of it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

You won't believe number 27! Click here to find out more!

Max Rockatansky

Having in lived in both Arizona and California I can say that a lot of residents of both have disdain for each other.  The mode of living and political demographics of Arizona and California tend to largely run opposite of each other.  I would certainly rank Arizona-California higher than anything the list but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "rivalry."

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2021, 07:19:15 PM
Rivalries at what?

But, in general...  Iowa versus every other surrounding state, because they all like to make fun of it?
Anything. Economics, tourism, sports, people fighting over which is a better state to live, entertainment, general dislike for the residents of the rival state, the list goes on.

kphoger

It isn't statewide, but there's definitely a Chicago versus New York City thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

50-60 years ago I would say Minnesota was Iowa's biggest rival, but as their economies have gone different directions I would say Iowa's biggest rival now would probably be Nebraska. With apologies to DandyDan, Iowa isn't a place I think about much.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSOWorld

Do you know why Iowa doesn't have a professional football team?

Because then Illinois and Minnesota would want one.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 23, 2021, 07:59:51 PM
Do you know why Iowa doesn't have a professional football team?

Because then Illinois and Minnesota would want one.

Spoken like a true Wisconsinite!  :D

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM
Pennsylvania vs New York
New Jersey vs New York

Also Pennsylvania vs New Jersey, even though you had that one in three-way with Delaware.

The NY-NJ-PA dynamic is an interesting one. There's definitely no love between New York and New Jersey. That would have to be top-five nationwide. But then you also have somewhat of a NYC-Philly rivalry with NYers vacationing on the north Jersey shore while Philadelphians vacation on the south Jersey shore, with both thinking "their" Jersey shore is better. So that kind of falls under NY-PA even though it plays out in NJ.  :-P

(And that's not even to mention upstate NY, the part of NY that actually borders PA; although to be fair, any rivalry involving NY is really based on NYC)

thspfc

Rivalries at what?

We don't really make fun of Iowa. Probably because for being bordering states, WI and IA don't interact much, and the border is pretty insignificant with only one major crossing and three crossings in total. Compare that to our borders with IL and MN, two of the most-crossed borders in the region.

Roadgeekteen

Massachusetts's rival is New York. I've never felt any rivalry with the other New England states except maybe Connecticut.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 23, 2021, 10:44:19 PM
Massachusetts's rival is New York. I've never felt any rivalry with the other New England states except maybe Connecticut.

I think that's more between Boston and NYC than the states as a whole. As far as I know, there are no hard feelings between upstate NY and MA. Upstate NY actually has quite a bit in common with western MA in that both regions are massively overshadowed in their respective states.

thspfc

I think a lot of New Hampshire residents hate Massachusetts. I don't know about Rhode Island. The only states it borders are CT and MA. I guess Rhode Island's rival could be, in a way, Alaska or Texas?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 10:51:39 PM
I think a lot of New Hampshire residents hate Massachusetts.
Most people in Massachusetts see New Hampshire as a summer playground or a tax-free shopping place.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 23, 2021, 10:53:09 PM
Most people in Massachusetts see New Hampshire as a summer playground or a tax-free shopping place.
Which is probably why NH residents hate them. It's the same thing with Wisconsin and Illinois.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 10:53:53 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 23, 2021, 10:53:09 PM
Which is probably why NH residents hate them. It's the same thing with Wisconsin and Illinois.

You can probably subdivide some of these. Western WI is a playground for Twin Cities residents, though at least regionally without any of the notoriety of the FIBs.

oscar

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM
Alaska vs Hawaii

What makes you think that? Yeah, they both compete for tourist dollars, but they are too dissimilar to be really competitive. If anything, Alaskans like to escape the cold in Hawaii, and to a lesser extent the reverse. Another thing that unites them is antipathy for the mainland states in general, though Alaskans' feelings about "Outside" are stronger than anything in Hawaii.

As for California, ISTM that any rivalries with other states pale in comparison to regional rivalries within California, with water being the most divisive issue. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

If there is an rivalry between Indiana and Ohio, then Ohio and New York has a rivalry.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

JayhawkCO

Kansas and Nebraska not a thing.  Missouri definitely a thing.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: oscar on August 23, 2021, 11:49:26 PMAnother thing that unites them is antipathy for the mainland states in general, though Alaskans' feelings about "Outside" are stronger than anything in Hawaii.

Interesting. In what ways are the Alaskans' stronger? During the Olympics it probably came to a lot of people's attention that there's a growing number of people in Hawaii who have started to see themselves as Hawaiians first before Americans. I'm guessing Alaska Natives have some similar feelings as native Hawaiians, but do the white American population in Alaska have a similar distaste for the mainland?

DandyDan

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 24, 2021, 01:53:26 AM
Kansas and Nebraska not a thing.  Missouri definitely a thing.

Chris
As a former Nebraska resident, its only real rival is Iowa.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 23, 2021, 07:51:22 PM
50-60 years ago I would say Minnesota was Iowa's biggest rival, but as their economies have gone different directions I would say Iowa's biggest rival now would probably be Nebraska. With apologies to DandyDan, Iowa isn't a place I think about much.
I wouldn't think about it much if I didn't live here. OTOH, I have not only lived here, but 3 of the neighboring states as well and all of them love to make fun of Iowa.

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 10:40:45 PM
Rivalries at what?

We don't really make fun of Iowa. Probably because for being bordering states, WI and IA don't interact much, and the border is pretty insignificant with only one major crossing and three crossings in total. Compare that to our borders with IL and MN, two of the most-crossed borders in the region.
I believe this to only be a rivalry on the football field.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 24, 2021, 12:54:28 AM
If there is an rivalry between Indiana and Ohio, then Ohio and New York has a rivalry.

Yeah there's not really a statewide rivalry between Indiana and Ohio. Indiana-Kentucky is more of a rivalry.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kenarmy

I thought people from Washington State and Oregon hated California. And I can confirm Mississippi is definitely losing the Louisiana and Alabama rivalries.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.