Previous topic - Next topic

Is this forum too moderated?

Yes
13 (17.3%)
No
62 (82.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

NE2

To me 'like facebook' suggests inane conversations full of memes that were old on m.t.r.

Such as I-99.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2012, 06:17:35 PM
I think we do not want to end up like facebook here.  The thing is some people do not even have a fuse as they have the tendency to go off as the match is being struck.  One person here went off on me once cause I told another Bud Shuster joke that so many others on this forum have been telling as he is public enemy number one with his legislated Intastate Interstate 99.  I say intrastate as not many miles of it are in New York at this time, for those who are wondering.  Anyway, we all know why we hate Buddy Shyster, but the point is my post is called a "fine necro" just for saying jokingly that another road should be named after him.
Your post was a "necro", a word you clearly do not understand. That means you posted in a topic that was months old. That's your fault.

Scott5114

I think we do not want to end up like facebook here.  The thing is some people do not even have a fuse as they have the tendency to go off as the match is being struck.  One person here went off on me once cause I told another Bud Shuster joke that so many others on this forum have been telling as he is public enemy number one with his legislated Intastate Interstate 99.  I say intrastate as not many miles of it are in New York at this time, for those who are wondering.  Anyway, we all know why we hate Buddy Shyster, but the point is my post is called a "fine necro" just for saying jokingly that another road should be named after him.

A "necro" or "necropost" is when someone posts in a "dead" thread. Usually we discourage it unless there's a good reason to do so (a good example would be like a thread about a proposed highway that dies off when there is no action for a while, and then it is given approval to begin construction). Whoever was upset was likely not angry because of the actual content of your post, but rather, that you bumped an old thread to the top for a trivial reason.

Another thing, regarding post merges: As Steve pointed out, there is a button that appears to moderators whenever two posts are merged that says "Merge Posts", with a little MUTCD merge icon. You click it and it merges the posts automatically, complete with explanatory purple text. 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 01, 2012, 04:14:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2012, 01:23:55 PM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8172.msg187952#msg187952

An argument for the prosecution or for the defense?

I'm confused, are you seriously questioning the fact that I locked a thread after the following?:
"Then fucking leave."
"Make me, bellend."
"I couldn't care less, bitch. What are you, 12 years old?"

:hmmm:

I think that's where some post deletions would have been in order.

Quote from: Steve on December 01, 2012, 06:00:52 PM
Quote from: bugo on December 01, 2012, 05:31:54 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 01, 2012, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: bugo on December 01, 2012, 03:15:11 PM
Allowing everyone to express themselves?  Maybe if you say something the mods agree with.  Say anything they disagree with and your post gets deleted.
I disagree.

US 412 totally kicks ass.

I expect this post to be deleted pronto.
You misspelled "smells like"

What about 400 and 425? Or I-238? Or maybe I-99?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2012, 08:04:01 PM

I'm confused, are you seriously questioning the fact that I locked a thread after the following?:
"Then fucking leave."
"Make me, bellend."

Ah, I thought you were saying I shouldn't have done anything.
I'd rather just leave the posts but lock the thread, to make it an example of what will get a thread locked.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

J N Winkler

"Then fucking leave."
"Make me, bellend."

I firmly believe that deleting posts (or moving them to a hidden board) and editing of posts to remove text (not just to repair quote errors and other purely syntactical problems) should be done only under extreme circumstances, e.g. when the poster has admitted to criminal conduct that is routinely punishable with imprisonment.  Deletions just invite censorship rows from the membership at large, and remove an audit trail whereby other moderators can see that the action taken has been fair.

In this case I would have suspended (not banned) the two members involved for a short period of time, say five days, and temporarily locked the thread for forty-eight hours.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 01, 2012, 08:32:27 PM
I firmly believe that deleting posts (or moving them to a hidden board) and editing of posts to remove text (not just to repair quote errors and other purely syntactical problems) should be done only under extreme circumstances, e.g. when the poster has admitted to criminal conduct that is routinely punishable with imprisonment.  Deletions just invite censorship rows from the membership at large, and remove an audit trail whereby other moderators can see that the action taken has been fair.

In this case I would have suspended (not banned) the two members involved for a short period of time, say five days, and temporarily locked the thread for forty-eight hours.

There have been posts deleted before.

Censorship is a misunderstood term, as is "First Amendment." There is no First Amendment right to post here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

"Then fucking leave."
"Make me, bellend."

Which is why we rarely ever outright delete posts. They almost always are merely moved to an archive so that the rest of the staff can see them and restore them if they disagreed with the decision.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 01, 2012, 09:14:44 PM

"Then fucking leave."
"Make me, bellend."

Which is why we rarely ever outright delete posts. They almost always are merely moved to an archive so that the rest of the staff can see them and restore them if they disagreed with the decision.

Building off of this, we generally as a rule try to avoid outright deleting posts unless there is obviously no redeemable value to them (something like "pfpfpfpfpfpfpfpfpf" would be deleted outright).

If we only need to remove part of a post, it can be pasted to a thread in the archive board made for that purpose, such that we can also restore it from there if necessary.

Scott5114

Also, I would like to be lame and point out that I really want to move this to the Welcome board, since that is where meta stuff goes, but somehow I think moderating on a thread about too much moderation would not be received all that well :P

corco

Go for it, Nazelrod. I double dog dare you.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2012, 09:19:19 PM
Also, I would like to be lame and point out that I really want to move this to the Welcome board, since that is where meta stuff goes, but somehow I think moderating on a thread about too much moderation would not be received all that well :P
I'll call you Nazirod if you do ;)

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2012, 07:03:50 PM

A "necro" or "necropost" is when someone posts in a "dead" thread. Usually we discourage it unless there's a good reason to do so (a good example would be like a thread about a proposed highway that dies off when there is no action for a while, and then it is given approval to begin construction). Whoever was upset was likely not angry because of the actual content of your post, but rather, that you bumped an old thread to the top for a trivial reason.

Another thing, regarding post merges: As Steve pointed out, there is a button that appears to moderators whenever two posts are merged that says "Merge Posts", with a little MUTCD merge icon. You click it and it merges the posts automatically, complete with explanatory purple text. 
Telling a joke is not a necro post.  The Bud Shuster thing is ongoing and comes up quite frequently among users.  I may have brought back things that I should not have, but my main reason for stating short fuses are from what I witness from others.  I have seen other people call each other things or make gestures or argue for no apparent reason.  I could care less what others think of me.  Yes, I do make mistakes and yes I am still new to this thing here and YES I have learned a lot from here. 

It actually makes me feel good in a way that I am not singled out for personal reasons as I see other people go through things as  well.  You know, I have seen some people participate here and make the same mistakes I do and get offended right away and never post again.  Many people do want just to learn or participate in discussions.  Some of them they find interesting happened months before they joined and want to ad to what they missed.  Then you get some guy on here who insults them for posting old stuff and gets high blood pressure as a result of it.  That is insane!  I would not lose sleep if InterstateNG, lets say, wants to talk about the dead NJ 92 project if he brought up an old forum of one.  Now, even if you think it is old and that it is pointless, all right you can feel that way, but to get obsessed about it.  Come on there are better things to worry about than to wonder why some person you have not met is doing things you do not understand.  Even me, I once spent a whole day trying to figure out why some people wear shorts in 40 degree weather when they have a heavy Winter coat on at the same time.  Then I realized that there are more important things out there, like me being happy!

Some people get obsessed over the silliest things.  Not only here, but elsewhere as well.  Ignore someone if they make you itch.  For crying out loud is it worth it to think about someone you will never meet? 

By the way, the Dead Malls thread keeps making it back.  I guess if someone else is tired of hearing it again, it can be called a necro then?  I do not care if it does, just that some of you (to each other) are too much.   Matter of fact if I have something to say about one person's post in Dead Malls, I might join in as well.  I only lost it once with someone who insulted me, I got my post deleted  for the response I made in rebutal and I am not upset at all!  I am sorry I lost it, but sometimes you can only take it so much and us humans do break at times. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Roadman65:

Definition of "necro": Bringing back an old post WITHOUT ADDING SUBSTANTIVE CONTENT.

Seriously. Dude. It's not hard. Even for you.

corco

I wonder if it's fair to say that necroing once is OK, even if not terribly substantive, but if you necro multiple posts simultaneously then you're just being an ass

Alps

Quote from: corco on December 01, 2012, 10:11:50 PM
I wonder if it's fair to say that necroing once is OK, even if not terribly substantive, but if you necro multiple posts simultaneously then you're just being an ass
If you have something substantive to add, it's not necroing. You're not supposed to post if you have nothing to add, but we let a certain amount of dialogue go on before we really pronounce something off-topic.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on December 01, 2012, 10:09:17 PM
Roadman65:

Definition of "necro": Bringing back an old post WITHOUT ADDING SUBSTANTIVE CONTENT.

Seriously. Dude. It's not hard. Even for you.
I am not talking about myself bringing back old stuff, I am talking about name calling in general.  I see others call each other out and begin flame wars to each other.  I know when I am wrong and I move on.  I am not like some who get edgy over something so stupid.  So another man (not me, but others have necroed before too) and some get sarcastic  and loose sleep over it and make harsh remarks!  Some when they post are so affraid of posting that  they have to start off a topic, Please excuse me if I sound stupid or I do not know if this has been discussed or not, but I would like to know, etc. because someone like NG or NE will harrass them.  Heck Alex told me once off this forum that other users have done name calling. 

All right that some people bring up old topics and maybe you feel that the person is not contributing something positive to that thread, but that is up to interpretation as the one posting may feel he is contributing.  Now, true you have rules to follow, but maybe you should politely say to that person that he is doing wrong.  Not let a forward person like InterstateNG start talking like he knows that particular person (yes now I am on to me now), but I never heard the guy before.  I never even had a conversation with the guy and he is acting like I punched him in the stomach and getting mad not only at necroes but at a lot of other stuff I have said that were not bad
where others in this forum had friendly discussions with me about what pissed him off so badly.

From where I come from, if a person is so critical of others, that mostly means that individual has an inferiority complex with himself that he feels that he has to point out other people's mistakes.  Therefore I in away pity the individual and move on.  That is my point that NG is mad over a common joke I made, and therefore I will take it personally considering that he never speaks before about it.  Plus, he is not God and the owner of this forum and the fact he swears in a place that you do not know who is on the other end.  Not that who he tells to f/o could be 300 lbs and 7 feet tall, but a small child who logged on.   Then  what about him raising his blood pressure which is not good for him in general.

Personally, I think this discussion we are having is not worth it as I could be doing something better for myself right now.  All I wanted to do is point out that there need be no getting upset over something so silly not only for one bad user, but for all.  You guys keep missing the point and keep at it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjk374

my 2 cents that will probably cost me 10 cents:

I like the way this forum is moderated.  I do not envy the job Steve, Alex, rickmast, US 71, etc. have moderating this forum.  I have learned quite a bit since joining a few years ago (necro, e.g.  I may be guilty of this, for which I apologize).  Y'all keep up the good work.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

InterstateNG

Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2012, 12:04:42 PM
:words:

I'm not sure which is larger, your Internet naivete, your persecution complex or your staggering lack of comprehension.

Keep my username out of your mouth.  And stop obsessing about something some jagoff on the internet said in a reply 6+ months ago.
I demand an apology.

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on December 02, 2012, 01:08:06 PM
my 2 cents that will probably cost me 10 cents:
Hey, I'll keep paying you under the table as long as you'll keep saying nice things. ;)

Brandon

Back to the original topic at hand though, this forum really isn't over-moderated.  Granted, some of the stuff is silly at times (certain post merges, correcting "IDiOT", etc), but overall, it's not over-moderated.  If it were, certain folks would've been banned long a go for their attitudes.

I once participated in a blog that was over-moderated.  The owner of the site would ban people due to vendettas or serious disagreements.  Needless to say, he wound up with a bunch of sycophants for members.  I got sick of the blog and just left.  I'd rather avoid that here and enjoy the variety of opinions.  It's much more fun.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DaBigE

Quote from: Brandon on December 02, 2012, 02:48:07 PM
Back to the original topic at hand though, this forum really isn't over-moderated.  Granted, some of the stuff is silly at times (certain post merges, correcting "IDiOT", etc), but overall, it's not over-moderated.  If it were, certain folks would've been banned long a go for their attitudes.

I would agree. Like all forums, this one has it's moments, but by-and-large, I think they do an okay job moderating here. There are things that they do that I may not totally agree with, but that's life. I do like that rules and edits do seem to be applied fairly uniformly. There are posters that you may consistently dislike what [little] they seem to add to a discussion, but that's why there's an "ignore" function.

I'm glad there are multiple moderators and that they actually seem to talk with each other. One forum that I only read on occasion anymore is run/moderated by one person with a very short fuse and the maturity of a 5 year-old (don't mean to insult any 5 year-olds). When a discussion turned in favor of an opinion he didn't like, he shut down the whole forums for a couple days. Not to mention, he was very difficult to try and have an adult conversation with.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on December 02, 2012, 02:48:07 PM
Granted, some of the stuff is silly at times (saying "IDiOT", etc)
Fixed for you.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

It might be silly, but it's FUNNY (and COOL.)  We could all benefit from a little humor.

NE2

It's about as funny as Charlie Brown falling on his ass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.