News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Nice and warm on the walk back home today. I'd say it was about 40's or 50's and I didn't need a jacket.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignGeek101

Our first snowfall of the season has arrived (pretty late this year for us honestly). It may be warm enough to melt some of the stuff this weekend.

epzik8

It's Thanksgiving in Baltimore and it's a bit rainy.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Bruce

Some light graupel coming down in the lowlands around Seattle, with snow in the higher elevations.

Tomorrow, snow is expected to arrive in Seattle during the morning commute. Should be a fun way to start the week (with even more snow expected).

SignGeek101

Expecting about 15-30 cm (0.5-1.0 ft) of snow by midweek, along with winds up to 70 km/h (45 mph). Definitely will make the buses late for me. Temps will also cool off to well below freezing. Winter has arrived where I'm at.

Rothman

Got about 1/4" of snow where I'm at in the Albany area of NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Apparently schools were delayed due to a small amount of fluffy snow.  In Rochester, this is what we called "flurries", and it happened every day.  Sometimes I wonder if the people around here could ever survive lake effect snow (that said, ice is more severe over here than in Rochester, but it was below freezing during the entire snowfall, so I don't think that was much of a factor here).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

We had some snow overnight that stuck around for the morning commute. Turned into slush and ice over the day.

https://twitter.com/SounderBruce/status/807441186822594560

noelbotevera

Winds were at 21 mph yesterday morning. The wind chill was 15 degrees, which isn't pleasant.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

jakeroot

Waaaayy snowier than usual in BC's Lower Mainland this weekend. 10-20 cm in the Coquitlam/Burnaby area. Here's a photo of my father standing in the snow, near the Coquitlam Central SkyTrain station. We clinched the new Evergreen Extension (Bruce) while in the area.

This is the same weather system that dumped a bit of snow in the Seattle area (see Bruce's tweet above), but the area is more exposed to continental arctic air, thus the snow stuck around longer.

It's worth noting that this area is receiving a La Niña winter, which means colder and wetter than normal. The Seattle/Vancouver area is already looking at more snow next week (twice within one week, which is unprecedented for an area this close to water). The Coquitlam/Burnaby/New Westminster area of BC should be seeing highs around -5 C (23 F), which is insanely cold for this area.

cl94

Calm before the storm. Depending on the forecast, anywhere from 3-8" expected tonight. Who wants to place a bet on how long Ichabod Crane will take to close for tomorrow?

For those not from the area...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ichabod%20Crane
http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/the-snowstorm-school-closings-secret/21723/
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Based on the description, they're probably closed already.  Maybe Cuomo went there?  Would explain a few things.

More than 8 inches in some of the higher elevations.  The version I saw was 3-5 most places, with "7-8 locally", and some areas shaded for 6-10.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

Gonna hit the single digits for this week. Preparing for the cold.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

paulthemapguy

Last weekend, they forecasted 1-3 inches of snow.  We got 7.

This weekend, they forecasted 8-12 inches of snow.  We got 4.

Can we start firing people please
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jeffandnicole

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 12, 2016, 10:05:02 AM

Totally agree.  Weather forecasters have it way too easy, and way too many people simply shrug their shoulders and say "You can't control the weather".  That's true...but there's a whole industry dedicated to predicting that weather.  Many people have their favorite weather forecasters, and are very proactive to giving them the benefit of the doubt and will defend them as much as possible...which I never understood.  They're a TV news spokesperson reading a teleprompter for a few minutes, using information generally provided to them via computers.  Their job is miles easier, and pays better, than anything the defender does.

Gets me even further when weather forecasters continually say forecasts outside of 3 days aren't accurate, yet they're not really providing much proof forecasts within 3 days are accurate either.

cl94

All of the forecasts here for this storm were spot-on. They typically said 3-6 and we got 3.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Pfft.  More like 2 at most "drifting" to 3 at my home.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Barely an inch tops followed by rain and temps now in the lower 40's.  Yet every station went Snowmageddon mode.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

WISFreeways

>5 inches of snow on the ground right now and the weather's about to cool down significantly. Unlike the previous two winters, I am hyped for this one!
2009-era me chose this generic username...

noelbotevera

I'm going to have an appointment with a large cold storm or whatever (polar vortex sounds cool but kinda boring at the same time). It's probably gonna hit the negative or at least single digits during this. Hoo-rah.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 14, 2016, 11:06:02 PM
I'm going to have an appointment with a large cold storm or whatever (polar vortex sounds cool but kinda boring at the same time). It's probably gonna hit the negative or at least single digits during this. Hoo-rah.

3°F, and that's now, not in the middle of the night when it was even colder.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Rothman

Yeah, it was 2°F this morning here, too (Albany, NY area).

roadman

Here's another example of media idiocy when it comes to predicting weather.  Snow is forecast for early Saturday morning in Greater Boston.  So, this morning, the weatherman for the local radio station (who works for the station, and is not from AccuWeather, etc.) stated we will get 1 to 3 inches.  Two minutes later, the anchor (who is presumably less expert than the weatherman) stated we will get 3 to 6 inches.

Quote3°F, and that's now, not in the middle of the night when it was even colder.

My car thermometer registered 1 degree above when I was driving to the train station (Melrose, MA) this morning.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on December 16, 2016, 10:03:28 AM
Here's another example of media idiocy when it comes to predicting weather.  Snow is forecast for early Saturday morning in Greater Boston.  So, this morning, the weatherman for the local radio station (who works for the station, and is not from AccuWeather, etc.) stated we will get 1 to 3 inches.  Two minutes later, the anchor (who is presumably less expert than the weatherman) stated we will get 3 to 6 inches.

Which means we will get exactly 3 inches.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on December 16, 2016, 10:03:28 AM

Quote3°F, and that's now, not in the middle of the night when it was even colder.

My car thermometer registered 1 degree above when I was driving to the train station (Melrose, MA) this morning.

I defer to David Epstein, who explains why he's making a prediction and why he might be wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.