News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alabama to Buy Foley Beach Express Bridge; Designates Beach Express as SR-161

Started by HemiCRZ, April 18, 2024, 01:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemiCRZ

Gov. Ivey has announced today that the State of Alabama is purchasing the Foley Beach Express toll bridge in Baldwin County for around $60 million. The entire beach express route from I-10 is now slated to become SR 161.

The state will drop the toll fee at noon on the closing date of the transation, sometime in May. The current owner and manager of the bridge will cease opening new toll accounts on April 30th.

Looks like ALDOT wants to keep the new Intracoastal Waterway Bridge and the Beach Express bridge and reconfigure the spans to carry northbound traffic on the existing bridge, with southbound traffic using the new bridge.

https://www.obawebsite.com/aldot-set-to-acquire-beach-express-bridge-for-60m?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0BMQABHT2evarS5CSy6b49ZIz_EXxDUT9ZRLiSX7TlBQ2iAqf6_DVwMxNqKl2jGw_aem_ATL4uoqF5Hh20IYXHZG7jQ1AEaes0_L9PrjK2xxQRUKSz2YHU3irPEy-LcmKmiLfCDU

https://www.wkrg.com/news/alabama-has-bought-the-foley-beach-express-heres-what-that-means-for-drivers/
Interstate Highways that I've Driven On:
I-5, I-8, I-10, I-20, I-24, I-40, I-55, I-59, I-264, I-65, I-70, I-270, I-71, I-75, I-79, I-376, I-80, I-580, I-680, I-93, I-293

The Ghostbuster

Since there already is an AL 161 between AL 182 and AL 180 in Orange Beach, I assume the Foley Beach Express and the Baldwin Beach Express will simply become an extension of AL 161. Also, Google Maps shows the Baldwin Beach Express from CR 34/Lehman Rd. to Interstate 10 as CR 83. I assume that is an inaccurate labeling.

froggie

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 18, 2024, 02:03:52 PMSince there already is an AL 161 between AL 182 and AL 180 in Orange Beach, I assume the Foley Beach Express and the Baldwin Beach Express will simply become an extension of AL 161.

Or, instead of just assuming, you could could read the article Hemi linked to that confirms such will actually be the case...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.