News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/transportation/variable-speed-limit-signs-to-go-up-on-i-285/nSGPs/Variable speed limit signs to go up on I-285

QuoteThe legal speed limit on I-285 is set to rise to 65 mph - but cutting-edge traffic technology could lower it throughout the day.

The state Department of Transportation's board voted Thursday to install electronic variable speed limit signs along the northern half of I-285. The speed limit will change depending on congestion, falling when the lanes get more full.

QuoteDOT officials cautioned the speed limit is still 55 mph all the way around the Perimeter until the project is complete. It is just going out to bid now. As far as construction goes, it's a relatively simple one that may just take a few months, possibly opening early next year, Golden said.

BamaZeus

or in other words, people will still do 80 around the perimeter, regardless of traffic conditions :)

Grzrd

Today, while driving on I-75, I noticed that several BGS's had covered up "Henry Ford II Avenue" with "Porsche Avenue".  After some initial controversy, the name change was approved by the Atlanta City Council:

If you've driven south on I-75 near Atlanta's airport recently, you may have noticed that an exit sign that used to be named for an American car maker, Henry Ford, has been changed to a German car maker.
The name Porsche now marks the exit where a Ford assembly plant stood for nearly 60 years until it was shut down in 2006.

Quote from: Grzrd on February 21, 2012, 08:34:47 PM
The Executive Summary of "Memphis: America's Aerotropolis" says it was coined by John Kasarda in 2006 (page 3/52 of pdf):
... Dr. John Kasarda, Director of the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. Through Dr. Kasarda's studies, the Memphis Region was identified as being the best example of an "aerotropolis,"  a term he coined to mean a new type of urban form combining aviation-intensive businesses and related enterprises extending up to 25 kilometers outward from mega airports.
Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2012, 11:32:29 AM
Great, another shitty buzzword.
(above 2 quotes from I-69 in MI; Interstate 69 Corridor Aerotropolis thread)

This article does indeed use the "A" word (no, not Alanland ... nor Alanta, for that matter):

The new headquarters is being built on the old Ford plant site near Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The car manufacturer is the first company in the Aerotropolis Atlanta business district.

I did notice that the small green sign on the overpass bridge on the I-75 North side remains Henry Ford II Avenue.

edit

"Aerotropolis" is now enshrined in MAP-21, too (page 70/599 of pdf; page 70 of document):

"˜"˜(i) DEFINITION OF AEROTROPOLIS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM.–
In this section, the term "˜aerotropolis transportation system' means a planned and coordinated multimodal freight and passenger transportation network that, as determined by the Secretary, provides efficient, cost-effective, sustainable, and intermodal connectivity to a defined region of economic significance centered around a major airport.''.

Alex

Quote from: Grzrd on December 09, 2012, 09:00:48 PM
Today, while driving on I-75, I noticed that several BGS's had covered up "Henry Ford II Avenue" with "Porsche Avenue".  After some initial controversy, the name change was approved by the Atlanta City Council:

Bryant5493 (Southern Roadgeek) posted a suite of photos of the new Porsche Avenue on FB a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.393581554054787.95526.145594065520205&type=1

Was wondering what the backstory of the name change was. Thanks!

OracleUsr

I made a trip through Georgia (Hart, Franklin, Banks, Barrow and Gwinnett counties) and the I-85 corridor was quite a surprise, seeing the new style signage as far south as GA 20 (Mall of Georgia).  However, isn't the signage on I-85 inside I-285 also upgraded?  I thought it was, but GSV says no, even though it has the upgraded split-off interchange signs for I-85 off I-75 Northbound.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Alex

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 07, 2013, 01:42:15 PM
I made a trip through Georgia (Hart, Franklin, Banks, Barrow and Gwinnett counties) and the I-85 corridor was quite a surprise, seeing the new style signage as far south as GA 20 (Mall of Georgia).  However, isn't the signage on I-85 inside I-285 also upgraded?  I thought it was, but GSV says no, even though it has the upgraded split-off interchange signs for I-85 off I-75 Northbound.

Per my recent travels through Atlanta,
Northbound Exit 71 was changed when the new Int'l Airport terminal opened in 2012.
Southbound Exits 72 and 74 were upgraded as of 12-31-12 and Exits 86 and 88 as of 08-07-13.

You can see for yourself on the Downtown Connector here:
https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i7585naga - north
https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i7585saga - south

OracleUsr

Quote from: Alex on October 07, 2013, 03:00:38 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on October 07, 2013, 01:42:15 PM

Per my recent travels through Atlanta,
Northbound Exit 71 was changed when the new Int'l Airport terminal opened in 2012.
Southbound Exits 72 and 74 were upgraded as of 12-31-12 and Exits 86 and 88 as of 08-07-13.

You can see for yourself on the Downtown Connector here:
https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i7585naga - north
https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i7585saga - south

Ah, great, thank you for pointing me to those.  I used to work in the FAA building off Virginia Avenue in East Point, so that was a trip back in time (back when VA Ave. was Exits 19A-B).  I'm not sure I'd ever move to Atlanta, but I was impressed by their MUTCD-standard signs.    First time I ever saw a LEFT banner on a 3-digit + a letter sign...WOW

Tom958

Wow, nothing ever happens in Georgia.  :ded:

As it happens, I drive through both of Georgia's existing DDI's on a regular basis. The first, at Ashford-Dunwoody Road and I-285, seems to be an unqualified success. The second, at Pleasant Hill Road and I-85, not so much. The first has significantly more right of way, and the turning ramps have liberal allowances for lane encroachments by turning trucks: wider lanes, wider shoulders, and even hatched encroachment zones between the lanes in places. The ROW at the second is a lot tighter, and it looks like a left-turning 18 wheeler would find it difficult if not impossible to stay within its lane.

That said, I've yet to observe even a minor accident at either DDI, though for a while about half of the Dunwoody Police Department would hang out at the A-D/285 DDI during the afternoon rush hour. I find myself wondering whether trucks bound for the huge retail area at PH/85 have figured out-- or been advised-- to avoid that interchange and use nearby alternates instead...

The third DDI, at Jimmy Carter Blvd and I-85, is being built with more liberal turning radii, necessitating the construction of retaining walls on the approaches. Construction seems slow, but IMO the extra effort and expense will be worth it since the interchange serves a major industrial/warehousing area.

Meanwhile, construction is proceeding impressively at the GA 400/I-85 interchange. As usual lately, the bridges are boring AASHTO girders, but they still look OK due to their sweeping paths and hammerhead (T-shaped) piers. Unfortunately, though, the short bridge carrying the 85 NB to 400 NB ramp over Sidney Marcus Blvd uses two different pier/bent designs for no obvious reason. Would it have just killed 'em to make all the piers the same?  :-/

It'll be really interesting to see how they how they sign the new ramps, especially since Georgia has gone to an extra-huge FHWA font-- southbound, there will be three exits within a half mile of each other, at least two of them lane drops and all with space-consuming descriptors. That and how they'll assign the lanes, especially since I-85 is only three lanes in each direction at the existing split, with a fourth lane added or subtracted just to the north. I'm hoping that in the northbound direction they'll do away with the extra mainline lane and add one lane per ramp at the tree successive onramps. That would allow the reintroduction of the (sixth) auxilliary lane from the Lenox-Cheshire Bridge ramp to the next exit at N Druid Hills Road. IMO, that ramp is too short, too heavily traveled, and too uphill for the forced merge that's there now.  :pan:

It's hard to tell, but it looks as though the existing ramp from GA 13 NB to I-85 NB, which as built for one lane but restriped for two long ago, will be restriped back to one. That restriping is why that forced merge I dislike was introduced in the first place.

Tomahawkin

After The DDI at Jimmy Carter Blvd is complete: Do you know which interchange is scheduled next for a DDI overhaul? Also There are Several Interchanges on GA 400 that needed to be improved BADLY. That section of 400 from I-285 to points northward needed to be redone 15 years ago....Ditto for the Cobb Cloverleaf area

Tom958

Nah, these days I'm just a windshield roadgeek.  :)  There sure are plenty of candidates, though.

RoadWarrior56

The next DDI in GA will be I-75 @ Wade Green Road.

Tomahawkin

Are There Anymore than that? And do you have a link? It seems that there are a lot of intersections that need those on the 75/575 Corridors...I wonder when they are going to officially start the HOT Lane process up there? It seems that the media has shifted its attention from that to the 2 new stadiums over the last 2 years. Both stadium plans are going to be total fiascos

RoadWarrior56

I have heard that the interchange of SR 316 @ SR 120 near Lawrenceville is also being studied as a possible DDI.  I have also personally worked on another interchange in Metro Atlanta that has a DDI as one of two alternatives, but I will keep the location of that interchange to myself for now.

Tomahawkin

Since There wont be any investments in expanding MARTA (Which should've been done 20 years ago), SR 316 and the Interchanges along that route (especially in Gwinnett Co) need a total Overhaul. SR 316 needs to be 8 lanes (One being either a HOV/HOT lane), and the interchanges, especially need to be redone. Most of the interchanges along 316 are the original interchanges from when 316 was built....

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 27, 2013, 07:35:54 PMMost None of the interchanges along 316 are the original interchanges from when 316 was built....

There. Fixed that for ya. :P OK, the ramps at GA 120 are where they were originally built, but the bridge was widened long ago, and Sugarloaf and Boggs were completely rebuilt. Riverside is new, from the '90's, certainly not original equipment.

QuoteSince There wont be any investments in expanding MARTA (Which should've been done 20 years ago)...

IIRC, a referendum to extend MARTA rail into Gwinnett was held in 1990. It was a terrible deal for Gwinnett because Gwinnett was pledged to fund the entire cost locally so as not to compete for Federal funding with MARTA extensions in Fulton and Dekalb. I voted for it as an expression of support for transit, but only because there was no way in hell it would pass.

QuoteSR 316 and the Interchanges along that route (especially in Gwinnett Co) need a total Overhaul. SR 316 needs to be 8 lanes (One being either a HOV/HOT lane)...

Gee, I dunno. Where would the traffic go once it reached I-85?

That said, have you noticed that there's a lane-wide paved swath for the first few hundred feet of 316 running east from I-85? And there's that unused lane on the flyover from WB 316 to SB 85. Herrington Road is the only existing bridge obstructing the widening 316 to 8 lanes including two HOT lanes as far as GA 120, though those lovely paved swales built as part of the recent 85-316 interchange reconstruction would have to go. 

Tom958

Quote from: Tom958 on December 28, 2013, 07:11:25 PMHerrington Road is the only existing bridge obstructing the widening 316 to 8 lanes...

Here's something of interest: The Herrington Road bridge is still in its original condition, but when the 85/316 interchange was rebuilt, new barriers were built some distance (eight feet, maybe?) from the bent columns, even though clearances are tight eastbound since an auxiliary lane was added from the Boggs Road onramp to the Sugarloaf Parkway offramp. You can really see it on Google. It appears that the barriers are intended to enable replacement of the bents without having to rely on temporary barriers to protect the workers during demolition and reconstruction. So, are they temporary permanent barriers or permanent temporary barriers?   :hmmm:

EDIT: Looking back, I found a 'before' view:

from these two posts I did at Skyscapercity. :)

JoeP

QuoteAs it happens, I drive through both of Georgia's existing DDI's on a regular basis. The first, at Ashford-Dunwoody Road and I-285, seems to be an unqualified success.

I realize that these comments are several weeks old, but just seeing this now, I need to add to it. The DDI at ashford Dunwoody is
a success for traffic 285 EB and EB ONLY.

For 285 West, it made things worse. In the morning, traffic is on the wrong side of the road... 3 lanes over and for those heading to the biggest (bar far) complex over there - Ravinia.... there virtually no time to get over to the entrance with the on coming traffic from 285 east getting on to Ashford Dunwoody (unless they have a red light).

In the afternoon it's much worse. Westbound traffic is already blocked by cars already on 285 exiting to 400 North. This is major, major problem that causes massive back ups.

The DDI created only 1 lane for cars to line up and wait through that mess to get on 285 WB.

And 3 lanes for the other direction....

it's terrible. The whole concept was ill conceived.

Tom958

Quote from: JoeP on February 16, 2014, 12:47:55 PMFor 285 West, it made things worse. In the morning, traffic is on the wrong side of the road... 3 lanes over and for those heading to the biggest (bar far) complex over there - Ravinia.... there virtually no time to get over to the entrance with the on coming traffic from 285 east getting on to Ashford Dunwoody (unless they have a red light).

In the afternoon it's much worse. Westbound traffic is already blocked by cars already on 285 exiting to 400 North. This is major, major problem that causes massive back ups.

The DDI created only 1 lane for cars to line up and wait through that mess to get on 285 WB.

And 3 lanes for the other direction....

it's terrible. The whole concept was ill conceived.

I travel it eastbound except occasionally during the off peak. :P

One other gripe: My usual path is EB 285 --> NB A-D --> WB Hammond Drive, and... when NB A-D traffic has the green, the right turn movement for EB 285 --> NB A-D sometimes does, too. So motorists have the choice of a harrowing short weave across two lanes of traffic to get the Hammond, or stopping and waiting for a break in traffic while the light is green. I'm also wondering why, if the light is green like that sometimes, why isn't it green all of the time?

Gnutella

Back when Q-Zar Atlanta (Duluth) was open, I used to drive the entire length of GA 316 both ways twice a month. That ended a little over a year ago when Q-Zar closed its doors. :-(

Since then, I've been going to Lazer City in Buford, so I always make the right turn onto GA 20/GA 124 toward the Mall of Georgia, and I hadn't gotten to see any of the progress on GA 316 for a long time, especially since it's usually twilight or dark by the time I get to the construction zone.

Anyway, last week I had to run an errand in Duluth during the afternoon, so I finally got to see some of the progress on GA 316. Unfortunately, time was of the essence, so I didn't get to take any pictures. I didn't realize that the GA 20/GA 124 overpass had already been built, and that they've excavated everything except the temporary lanes across GA 316. I expect traffic to be using the overpass within the next three months.

One thing about this project that I figured they'd do is excavate below ground level for GA 316 at GA 20/GA 124 since the previous at-grade intersection was on the top of a hill. It made more sense to make a cut for GA 316 and leave the overpass at ground level, as opposed to putting GA 20/GA 124 even further above ground level at the top of a hill.

One thing that disappointed me is the fact that they've only laid enough new concrete for four lanes through the emerging interchange. Even worse, it looks as though GA 316 will be stuck with dinky 4' shoulders on both sides in both directions. They're not building this part right, and it's going to cost the state of Georgia even more money when they eventually expand the highway.

Another thing that disappointed me is that they haven't done a damn thing west of Collins Hill Road, so it's likely to be several more months before the Collins Hill Road overpass can even be used. Only now are they beginning to prepare for the eastbound off-ramp and the westbound on-ramp. I figured they'd be much further along with that, considering the Collins Hill Road overpass was built first.

The pace of construction seems to be really slow as well. The I-85/GA 316 interchange was much more involved, with several new bridges, miles of collector/distributor lanes, and a partial reconfiguration of the Pleasant Hill Road interchange, but wasn't that project completed in less than three years? They started work on GA 316 in early 2012, if I remember correctly, and they're still nowhere near done almost two and a half years later, despite this being a much simpler project.

Elsewhere, I'm glad glad glad glad glad that GA 20 is finally being widened between Buford and Cumming. Why they even waited this long to do it is crazy, but better late than never, I guess. Most of the work being done right now is in Gwinnett County, but that's where most of the work needed to be done. In Forsyth County, they don't have to do as much since their segment is shorter, and they have a pretty wide right-of-way as it is. Right now it's a two-lane road with a really chunky center turning lane, which looks kind of cool.

Next project should be widening GA 120 between Alpharetta and Duluth. It took me nearly an hour to drive from Duluth to Fuddruckers at North Point Mall. If cars are going 15 MPH, and there's so much traffic that people can't make left turns, then something needs to be done.

Sometime this weekend I might take some pictures of the Peter Street/Olympic Drive interchange work on the Athens Perimeter.

Tom958

Quote from: Gnutella on March 01, 2014, 07:39:56 AMUnfortunately, time was of the essence, so I didn't get to take any pictures.

Well, I did, a couple of weeks ago. Now if they'll upload... I may edit them in later.

QuoteOne thing that disappointed me is the fact that they've only laid enough new concrete for four lanes through the emerging interchange. Even worse, it looks as though GA 316 will be stuck with dinky 4' shoulders on both sides in both directions. They're not building this part right, and it's going to cost the state of Georgia even more money when they eventually expand the highway.

I recall full-width shoulders on the right, but I can't tell from the photo I took. Much more interesting, though: The left edge of the new lanes appears to line up exactly with the joint between the two existing lanes. When I first saw it, I was startled. I think the existing 316 has a standard 44 foot median, which would make the new median 68 feet, enough for four additional lanes plus ten foot left shoulders if the median barrier is made of rice paper. :P

That also suggests that GDOT intends to remove and replace all of the existing pavement throughout the project length. If so, that's still a lot of work to be done.

QuoteAnother thing that disappointed me is that they haven't done a damn thing west of Collins Hill Road, so it's likely to be several more months before the Collins Hill Road overpass can even be used. Only now are they beginning to prepare for the eastbound off-ramp and the westbound on-ramp. I figured they'd be much further along with that, considering the Collins Hill Road overpass was built first.

They're working west of Collins Hill, and I'm utterly at a loss to understand what's going on. Pile and lagging excavation support has been placed on both sides of 316 near that bridge over a creek and (I think) a pipeline to about eight feet above the existing mainline, and on the eastbound side, fill and some frontage road pavement has been placed to that elevation. One abutment of a new bridge is in progress, too.

The frontage road appears to be high enough to require a retaining wall or something between it and the mainline, but there's not enough elevation difference to stick in a bridge across 316 for access to the nearby college (I worked as field engineer on that big round building, btw. It was fun!) or U-turns. So, I dunno WTF. I sure wish GDOT would put something online.  :pan:

On the westbound side, it's hard to see what's going on, but it appeared that regrading was in progress at the bottom of the excavation support. Could it be that the soils supporting the existing roadway embankment were found to be unsuitable?

West of there, there wasn't any work in progress to tie the frontage roads back into the mainline. And they'd be pretty close to the existing ramps at GA 120, too, close enough to suggest a need for at least an auxiliary lane.

QuoteElsewhere, I'm glad glad glad glad glad that GA 20 is finally being widened between Buford and Cumming. Why they even waited this long to do it is crazy, but better late than never, I guess. Most of the work being done right now is in Gwinnett County, but that's where most of the work needed to be done. In Forsyth County, they don't have to do as much since their segment is shorter, and they have a pretty wide right-of-way as it is. Right now it's a two-lane road with a really chunky center turning lane, which looks kind of cool.

I think the delay has a lot to do with the legacy of the Northern Arc. I noticed that there's a SPLOST sign on the Gwinnett project, which suggests that the funding comes from the county, not the state or feds.

QuoteNext project should be widening GA 120 between Alpharetta and Duluth. It took me nearly an hour to drive from Duluth to Fuddruckers at North Point Mall. If cars are going 15 MPH, and there's so much traffic that people can't make left turns, then something needs to be done.

Yeah, that'll happen. :P

Tom958

Finally got round to uploading some pics. I edited three into my previous post about GA 316-- scroll up if you're interested. :) Also, Gnutella was incorrect: The 316 mainline has full-width shoulders. The narrow ones he spoke of are only on the frontage roads, which are now carrying the mainline traffic.

Next item of business: Arrow per lane signs! Here's one, taken from the onramp/CD from Howell Mill Road to I-75 SB:

And the next, just south of there, the stretch I call Death Merge '85 because getting from where I just was to I-85 NB requires three lane changes in a mile while heading down a steep grade with a curve at the bottom. Nice looking sign, I'd say:

Oooooh, pretty! This is on the ramp from 75 SB to 85 NB, with the 75 HOV lane on the left. Just visible ahead (maybe) is a 25mph curve that drivers regularly overshoot. I suppose the epic paint job is meant to slow drivers down, but to me it says, "Mr Sulu, engage warp drive!"

In contrast to the two previous APL signs I showed you, there's this, on 85 SB approaching the new 400 ramps now under construction. Does it blow, or what? For reasons I can't fathom, Georgia is replacing its signage (with its weird compressed FHWA font), not with Clearview, but with old skool signage with really big letters. Except here, they used little bitty letters instead and crammed them together to make enough room to... put the I-85 field off center to the right! WTF?  :banghead:

Apparently they haven't decided what to do with the arrow under GA 13. If it were up to me, I'd sign it as a lane drop and let the short recovery lane be a pleasant surprise, but a case could be made for signing it as optional. Either way, though, they should've decided before the sign was erected, don't you think?  :rolleyes:

Behind you can see the old signage, and the sign bridge that spans the entire twelve lane roadway. It carries two signs for the NB side-- will they keep it? Time will tell, I guess. Oh: when the wind blew right, I could see that the 400 field has control cities of Buckhead/Cumming. A bit wordy for this location, IMO.

A bit further south, new old skool signage. In the contractor's yard I saw another APL sign for 85--perhaps it'll go here

Finally, a crappy shot of the 85-400 interchange. At least it shows the start of what I called the recovery lane above. You can also (barely) see the traditional two-sign overhead at the ramp split (GA 13 SB to the left, GA 400 NB to the right).

OracleUsr

Yeah, seeing these Atlanta-area pics reminds me of my days with IBM in Marietta.  I spent weekends sometimes all over the greater Metro area.

...back when Georgia used their classic unisign style and the sequential exit numbering.

That I-75S to I-85N ramp is a bear even when you're NOT coming from Howell Mill or US 41.  I'd almost rather go N on I-75 to I-285 than try to maneuver that cluster---- from the right lane.

Nice APL, though on the split.

DeaconG

The epic paint job reminds me of what I've seen painted on freeways in Japan in curves.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Gnutella

At least Georgia is getting better at kerning their BGSs. The old dark green fiberglass ones that used to be on the rural Interstates as recently as the 1990's looked like they were put together by elementary school kids. :-D

Alex

Quote from: Tom958 on March 26, 2014, 08:18:04 PM
Finally got round to uploading some pics. I edited three into my previous post about GA 316-- scroll up if you're interested. :) Also, Gnutella was incorrect: The 316 mainline has full-width shoulders. The narrow ones he spoke of are only on the frontage roads, which are now carrying the mainline traffic.

More for me to have to rephotograph for a future AARoads update... :rolleyes:

All new signs in Georgia have the larger type (as you said, Highway Gothic thankfully). They also utilize external exit tabs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.