News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

2027? We'll be old and grey by then!

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 27, 2017, 05:24:12 PM

I'm already old, and what little hair is left has been gray a long time! X-(  But seriously, given the fact that we're dealing with two jurisdictions with two individual ways of financing this project, and the fact that even raising 20% of the total cost of bridging not only a navigable river but the adjacent floodplains on either side is, in these times of fiscal uncertainty, a daunting task -- a 10-year timeframe doesn't seem all that discouraging or even unusual. 

As the projected I-69 crossing will likely be tolled, "halving" the present twin-span US 41 bridges would probably have the effect of discouraging large-scale shunpiking while maintaining an alternative which probably wouldn't be too onerous during off-peak hours.  Just eliminate the one that poses the greatest problems re maintenance and/or structural aging. 

Grzrd

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 27, 2017, 05:24:12 PM

In this March 9 TV vdeo, Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winnecke expresses hope that Vice-President (and former Indiana Governor) Pence could include the I-69 Ohio River bridge in the infrastructure package and maybe accelerate development of the project:

The Mayor says one of the biggest priorities this year is the completion of I-69, not only to the north but also the new Ohio River Bridge between Evansville and Henderson.
It's something Indiana, Kentucky, and the federal government must figure out how to pay for.
Right now, officials are conducting an environmental impact study first.
"We hope that as the EIS gets completed in the next year and a half to two years and as we have in-depth discussions about potential funding sources that the Vice President will remember this as he and the President work together on the proposed infrastructure package," said Mayor Winnecke. "We'll certainly use all our connections that we have."
The exact location of the I-69 bridge between Evansville and Henderson has not yet been determined.

Avalanchez71

I have never been delayed ever either Southbound or Northbound on the current bridge configuration.  Are the current bridges safe?

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 16, 2017, 08:59:38 PM
I have never been delayed ever either Southbound or Northbound on the current bridge configuration.  Are the current bridges safe?

You must not be traveling them at the right time. I need to put you in touch with the people who deal with the delays here on a frequent basis. Most anytime there's even the slightest incident on one of the bridges, or even minor routine maintenance, traffic stacks up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on March 16, 2017, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 16, 2017, 08:59:38 PM

You must not be traveling them at the right time. I need to put you in touch with the people who deal with the delays here on a frequent basis. Most anytime there's even the slightest incident on one of the bridges, or even minor routine maintenance, traffic stacks up.

I am one of those people hb. Evansville-Henderson is the largest metropolitan area on either the Ohio or Mississippi with a single bridge crossing. Try working on one side, and having children at school or daycare on the other side, and there is a backup. Backups are regular and too frequent.

This guy has some strange obsession with leaving US 41 as is, so the Henderson 41 North McDonalds isn't affected any.

silverback1065

best case scenario is brand new 69 crossing and 2 brand new 41 crossings (twin bridges for 41).

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 17, 2017, 05:23:50 PM
best case scenario is brand new 69 crossing and 2 brand new 41 crossings (twin bridges for 41).

That's unlikely, at least in the near term.  Having enough trouble getting the financial wherewithal to build the 69 bridge; any revamping or replacement of the 41 bridges will probably have to wait until well after the new 69 crossing is somewhat amortized -- or at least not fresh in the memory of those with the purse strings. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on March 17, 2017, 06:30:20 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 17, 2017, 05:23:50 PM

That's unlikely, at least in the near term.  Having enough trouble getting the financial wherewithal to build the 69 bridge; any revamping or replacement of the 41 bridges will probably have to wait until well after the new 69 crossing is somewhat amortized -- or at least not fresh in the memory of those with the purse strings.

The older bridge is about 80 years old. The other bridge was built in the 1960s. Both had substantial work about eight or nine years ago and are in good shape structurally. Most likely option is when the I-69 bridge is built and it becomes impractical to continue to maintain the southbound span, it is closed and two-way traffic is maintained on the northbound span, since the new I-69 bridge will likely take traffic off of US 41.

Also remember that while the I-69 will be a joint venture between Kentucky and Indiana, the US 41 crossing is entirely in Kentucky and is 100 percent the Bluegrass State's financial responsibility.

silverback1065

Is it likely that 69 will be towed?
(Bridge only)

iBallasticwolf2

I would say that unless the bridge gets some type of priority funding it is very likely to be tolled.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

silverback1065

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on March 17, 2017, 09:17:38 PM
I would say that unless the bridge gets some type of priority funding it is very likely to be tolled.
If that's the case I'd say 41 won't lose much traffic

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 17, 2017, 09:22:42 PM

It will if they do something to discourage through traffic -- more traffic lights, lowered weight limit on the bridge, a truck ban, etc.

It boggles my mind that people would rather go out of the way and venture into the burning pit of hell that is downtown Louisville traffic to save $2 in tolls. If you lose 15 minutes by using US 41 instead of I-69, that's not worth $2.

silverback1065

Quote from: hbelkins on March 17, 2017, 11:03:24 PM

It will if they do something to discourage through traffic -- more traffic lights, lowered weight limit on the bridge, a truck ban, etc.

It boggles my mind that people would rather go out of the way and venture into the burning pit of hell that is downtown Louisville traffic to save $2 in tolls. If you lose 15 minutes by using US 41 instead of I-69, that's not worth $2.
Haha never underestimate people's cheapness

US 41

Actually you save $4 in tolls. And IMO it would be worth it in both cases (Louisville and Evansville).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 17, 2017, 11:04:55 PM

To each their own, but to me, my time and peace of mind are worth something. It's certainly not worth it to me to get off the interstate and have to deal with stop-and-go traffic and traffic lights to cross the US 31 bridge.

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on March 18, 2017, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 17, 2017, 11:04:55 PM

To each their own, but to me, my time and peace of mind are worth something. It's certainly not worth it to me to get off the interstate and have to deal with stop-and-go traffic and traffic lights to cross the US 31 bridge.

To be fair, the Henderson strip along 41, with a little lighter traffic due to a new 69 bridge, isn't as drastic as entering "the burning pit of hell" of downtown Louisville.

On a side note, discovered a new unfortunate twist with the new Louisville bridge. There is no way to pay tolling until you receive a bill from the fine River Link folks. Received my $4 bill about a week ago, which is all fine and dandy..however, yesterday I received a notice from Enterprise, that they were charging me an additional $10 for processing the toll notice since I happened to be in a rental car that day.

Getting a prepay pass living in Evansville doesn't seem all that practical, and I am not sure how you could transfer that to a rental anyway.

In short, a back and forth across in a rental car will cost you $14. I might dive into the "burning pit of hell" for $14.

hbelkins

Quote from: Captain Jack on March 25, 2017, 11:13:04 AM
Getting a prepay pass living in Evansville doesn't seem all that practical, and I am not sure how you could transfer that to a rental anyway.

I don't live anywhere near a toll facility. Closest ones to me are the new Louisville bridges (which I rarely cross) and the West Virginia Turnpike (which I don't use all that often). Regardless, I still have an E-ZPass (issued by the WV Turnpike) and transferring it to a rental is fairly easy. All i would have to do, once I acquired the rental, would be to log onto their website and enter the license plate number. Then when I turned the rental in, go back and remove that plate number from my list of vehicles.

As for mounting, you can get suction cup mounts that stick to the windshield that eliminate the need for the little Velcro strips.

PurdueBill

Car rental companies have quite the scam going with the extra charges for tolls.

Two years ago Avis billed me for a toll on E-470 that I didn't incur; I had the parking receipt to show that their car was parked at 3am when the toll was supposedly incurred.  They took it off when I protested. 

Last year I needed to rent one-way from EWR airport to 30th Street station in Philadelphia when my flight to PHL went bust; I had brought my E-ZPass with me and went online to enter the rental car's plate number but the Mass E-ZPass web site said "that plate is connected to another account" already despite the E-ZPass being a NY MTA one, possibly from a pay-by-plate ding sometime on the Tobin bridge or something, or maybe the agencies talk to each other.  I still tried using my E-ZPass in the rental on the NJ Turnpike and the Burlington-Bristol Bridge and it worked, without National Car Rental dinging me (thank goodness or else I was going to raise a stink).

If the I-69 bridge is tolled, they really should leave a toll-free crossing for locals and for those of us unfortunate enough to hit the area in a rental.  I've been in EVV with a rental vehicle and I sure wouldn't take a $14 hit for one round-trip across the river--that is a total scam beyond any actual cost to the rental company; it's a pure money grab.

hbelkins

Everything's a money grab. Witness a landline phone company charging a $99 connection fee for a house that's already wired, when all they have to do is flip a switch somewhere.

PurdueBill

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2017, 02:31:23 PM
Everything's a money grab. Witness a landline phone company charging a $99 connection fee for a house that's already wired, when all they have to do is flip a switch somewhere.

And a monopoly that is allowed to do it.  The car rental people seem to be a cartel who all agree to soak the customers because no one will not grab an exorbitant charge for the toll "service".  Very frustrating.

mvak36

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2017, 03:20:14 PM
Quote from: Captain Jack on March 25, 2017, 11:13:04 AM

I don't live anywhere near a toll facility. Closest ones to me are the new Louisville bridges (which I rarely cross) and the West Virginia Turnpike (which I don't use all that often). Regardless, I still have an E-ZPass (issued by the WV Turnpike) and transferring it to a rental is fairly easy. All i would have to do, once I acquired the rental, would be to log onto their website and enter the license plate number. Then when I turned the rental in, go back and remove that plate number from my list of vehicles.

As for mounting, you can get suction cup mounts that stick to the windshield that eliminate the need for the little Velcro strips.

I have an IPass and that's what I do with mine when I get a rental car. By the way, where does one get these suction cup mounts? From Amazon/EBay/etc.,?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

inkyatari

Quote from: mvak36 on March 27, 2017, 08:42:01 AM

I have an IPass and that's what I do with mine when I get a rental car. By the way, where does one get these suction cup mounts? From Amazon/EBay/etc.,?

I think you can get them from any Jewel Osco store or the Illinois tollway office, off of I-88
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

mvak36

Quote from: inkyatari on March 27, 2017, 08:54:06 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on March 27, 2017, 08:42:01 AM

I think you can get them from any Jewel Osco store or the Illinois tollway office, off of I-88

Actually I don't live in Illinois. I just got the IPass because I visit Chicago often.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.