News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
I would propose an alternate 8, leave in place.

What is your problem with building the new bridge? Do you like traffic bottlenecks?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

evansville and henderson should have 2, 4 lane crossings. 

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on July 06, 2017, 10:34:24 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
I would propose an alternate 8, leave in place.

What is your problem with building the new bridge? Do you like traffic bottlenecks?

He has some strange obsession about this bridge, even though he lives in Tennessee. He drove through here on a Sunday morning, didn't see a traffic issue, and is worried about the fast food joints that line the strip. He thinks Henderson's best option is to become a Breezewood on I-69....

Ignore the fact the Henderson Chamber is 110% on board with a new bridge and it is the focal project for both cities. I have reminded him several times that the Evansville-Henderson metro is the largest metro on either the Ohio or Mississippi with a single bridge crossing. Now that there is new lane restrictions and construction, we will face again numerous lengthy delays going across. None of this matters to this clown..he keeps coming back with concern for the businesses on the strip. There is nothing on that strip except chain fast food joints and convenience stores that are found in every single city of the same size. They will continue to serve the local population just fine.

I love old highways. When time allows, I often take US 41 from Henderson to Hopkinsville, or other US Highways that parallel interstates...and you and many others can and will use US 41 across the Ohio to keep plenty of traffic on it, but the 400,000 residents and daily commuters of this metro deserve and need better access.

US 41

They're going to be doing major construction on the US 41 bridges for the next couple of years starting in the fall.

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/twin-bridges-us-41-set-for-major-construction/465222603

The bridges are supposed to last another 2 decades before they'll need more (major) work.

QuoteKYTC officials say the twin bridges are inspected biannually. The last inspection was in August 2014 and it received a "satisfactory"  rating.

Officials say the construction project aims to ensure the longevity of the bridge, not because it's unsafe.

QuoteMore than two years of round-the-clock headaches for drivers, for work engineers say will last two decades.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

codyg1985

One of the projects will squeeze three lanes onto one of the bridges while work is done is on the other bridge. That seems like a stretch.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

civeng

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 11, 2017, 11:49:55 AM
One of the projects will squeeze three lanes onto one of the bridges while work is done is on the other bridge. That seems like a stretch.

http://www.14news.com/category/325565/henderson-bridge-hd-skycam-sponsored-by-dempewolf-ford

codyg1985

Quote from: civeng on July 11, 2017, 02:48:31 PM

http://www.14news.com/category/325565/henderson-bridge-hd-skycam-sponsored-by-dempewolf-ford

I tried to look online to see how wide each lane would be but I couldn't find anything or I may have overlooked something.
Cody Goodman

civeng

The draft MOT plans are showing 10' outside lanes and 9'-8" for the center lane.

Captain Jack

It's been done a few times in the past when they were working or painting it. If traffic stays slow, it isn't that bad, although the optics of oncoming traffic takes a little getting used to.

codyg1985

Quote from: civeng on July 11, 2017, 05:39:29 PM
The draft MOT plans are showing 10' outside lanes and 9'-8" for the center lane.

That isn't quite as tight as I thought it would be.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

This was in effect a few years ago when I crossed the bridges. Two lanes in one direction and one lane in the other direction, while one lane remains on the other bridge.

http://millenniumhwy.net/videos/US_41_twin_bridges.mov

Really crappy video. Fast-forward to the 1:35 to go marker to see how the lane setup worked.

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2017, 11:04:57 AM

This was in effect a few years ago when I crossed the bridges. Two lanes in one direction and one lane in the other direction, while one lane remains on the other bridge.

Really crappy video. Fast-forward to the 1:35 to go marker to see how the lane setup worked.

Enjoyed the music with the video. I  forgot how recent it was that they painted them. Man, they must of used some paint they got out of a reject bin, they look absolutely horrible now. Looks like they haven't been painted since they were built.

hbelkins

Quote from: Captain Jack on July 12, 2017, 11:57:05 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2017, 11:04:57 AM

Enjoyed the music with the video. I  forgot how recent it was that they painted them. Man, they must of used some paint they got out of a reject bin, they look absolutely horrible now. Looks like they haven't been painted since they were built.

Yes, they had issues with the paint and the contractor on that project. I can't remember the specifics, however.

mgk920

If the traffic is anything like that today, I'd build the I-69 crossing a bit upstream and leave those two bridges right where they are, reconfiguring the south end of the 'Strip' to best serve local traffic.

Mike

sparker

Quote from: mgk920 on July 14, 2017, 11:25:02 PM
If the traffic is anything like that today, I'd build the I-69 crossing a bit upstream and leave those two bridges right where they are, reconfiguring the south end of the 'Strip' to best serve local traffic.

Mike

Even though there were rumors of cutting back to one US 41 bridge once the I-69 crossing was completed, with the work they're putting into both bridges it's hard to imagine that they won't remain side by side -- at least until the next time one (probably the older of the two) requires more extensive repair.  Also, it's likely that both cities on either side of the river -- plus their chambers of commerce -- plus the regional MPO -- wouldn't look too kindly on the arbitrary loss of one of the bridges if there was even a chance of retaining them both.   

Anthony_JK

Personally? If they decide to build the I-69 bridges alongside the US 41 bridge, then I'd keep the old US 41 bridges yet convert them for multiple use for bicycles and pedestrians and local access for both Henderson and Evansville.

I-39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on July 15, 2017, 05:20:32 AM
Personally? If they decide to build the I-69 bridges alongside the US 41 bridge, then I'd keep the old US 41 bridges yet convert them for multiple use for bicycles and pedestrians and local access for both Henderson and Evansville.

Remove one though. The "new" access would likely only need to be two lanes, since the through traffic would be re-routed to the I-69 bridge.

Captain Jack

Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2017, 09:53:27 AM

Remove one though. The "new" access would likely only need to be two lanes, since the through traffic would be re-routed to the I-69 bridge.

Through traffic with the exception of toll jumpers and that poster from Tennessee.

ukfan758

Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2017, 09:53:27 AM

Or keep both, one for the 2-lane road and the other bridge as a pedestrian/bicycle bridge. The lanes and bridge for 41N could be the two lane highway and the lanes and bridge for 41S could be pedestrian/bike bridge and a wide bike path that extends out to Evansville and Henderson. Parks could be added to each side and some businesses might set up shop along the path (similar to what's happened to the pedestrian bridge in Lousiville).

Life in Paradise

I would probably flip the bridges on your proposal, since I believe that the northbound bridge is the oldest and the traffic would be better suited on the 1960s bridge rather than the 1930s bridge.  The only difficulty is that you would have to have pedestrians/bikes cross traffic.

thefro

Open Houses coming at the end of the month
https://surfky.com/index.php/henderson/news-henderson/121372-public-input-sought-on-i-69-ohio-river-crossing
QuoteTwo open houses are scheduled later this month and early next month to discuss the short list of alternatives for a new I-69 Ohio River Crossing connecting Evansville, Indiana and Henderson.

A list of five broad corridors was presented in April. An extensive screening process has followed. The short list of alternatives is expected later this month, and will be discussed further at the open houses, I-69 Ohio River Crossing Spokeswoman Mindy Peterson announced.

Evansville Open House/Henderson Open House
Monday, July 31, 5-7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 1, 5-7 p.m.
Crescent Room at Milestones Henderson Community College
621 S. Cullen Ave. Preston Fine Arts Center
2660 S. Green St.

Each open house will include a presentation at 6:00 p.m. The rest of the event is an open house format, with several information stations.

Attendees will have a chance to talk one-on-one with leaders of the I-69 ORX team, hear more about the project and ask questions. Comment cards will be provided.

Avalanchez71

If the East alternative is used then Henderson will lose business.  If the West alternative is used then several folks will be rooted from their homes and businesses.  Henderson has a major decision to make here and one alternative was not even posed.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 18, 2017, 01:02:42 PM
If the East alternative is used then Henderson will lose business.  If the West alternative is used then several folks will be rooted from their homes and businesses.  Henderson has a major decision to make here and one alternative was not even posed.

Henderson's not going to lose business. People who need gas are still going to get gas, people who need to eat will still eat, and people who need to spend the night will still spend the night. The last two times I have been through that area, I have stopped at the Thornton's just to use the restroom. Left without spending a dime.

People made the same arguments when the Mountain Parkway widening project was being discussed. Salyersville was successful in getting a bypass of the commercial strip at the end of the Mountain Parkway along US 460 eliminated. Now they're four-laning the existing road, putting in a system of frontage and backage lights, and replacing one traffic light with five or six traffic lights. The fear was that if a four-lane bypass was built just to the south of that strip, those businesses (those that weren't damaged by the 2012 tornado) would dry up.

Meanwhile, 15 miles away, four-lane US 23 bypassed the old route at Paintsville, where all the restaurants and stores are, and it's thriving. Well, if you discount Kmart closing, but that's happening everywhere and Ollie's is coming to Paintsville; I'm guessing in the old Kmart location. You have to exit the four-lane and drive a couple of miles to eat or get gas, but it didn't kill the town.

If the need arises, highway services will relocate out to the new path of I-69.

Avalanchez71

I am familiar with Paintsville.  If I wasn't on a road trip to see things I would have missed it.

Captain Jack

Do you not understand that the Henderson Chamber of Commerce...you know, the folks in Henderson who actually understand and serve the businesses of Henderson is 110% in favor of this, and is pushing this as hard as they possibly can.

For the last time....Henderson will be fine..in fact, they will be better than fine. If the eastern route (my personal favorite) is chosen, that will open the eastern edges of Henderson for new growth. It will open the eastern sections of Evansville and adjacent Warrick County(the area of growth on the Indiana side) to the eastern sections of Henderson. With better access back and forth, lower property taxes, and considerably lower utilities, Henderson IMO will see an era of unprecedented growth as for the first time, people relocating to the Evansville area will take Henderson into consideration.  As a resident on the Indiana side, I can tell you I will look at relocating over the river once we have adequate crossings in place.

Did Gallatin Pike in Nashville dry up when I-65 was completed? Of course not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.