News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Fulton is big enough for a Walmart, it seems. Population of Fulton, KY is 2,295 people. Adjoining South Fulton, TN is 2,304.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

And, as it turns out, Memphis is actually used as a control city for US 51/US 45W southbound at its interchange with US 45E and the Purchase Parkway.
Cody Goodman

tdindy88

Quote from: EngineerTM on January 06, 2016, 11:56:36 AM
I had read elsewhere that reconstruction of the I-69/I-24/Purchase Parkway interchange was supposed to start sometime in the spring of 2016.  Glad to hear that project is due to be bid.  I'd be curious what the cost and time frame to complete will be.

I have no particular horse in the race regarding control cities.  I was simply commenting earlier how it was reported that some drivers were confused with the change in signage.  On a side note, within the limits of Evansville, the signs for I-69 South presently do not have any control city listed.  Given how US 41 is signed, it wouldn't surprise me if INDOT updates those signs with Henderson, KY (probably using adhesive-applied sign labels) as the control city once (or whenever) I-69 is extended over the Ohio River to complete SIU 4, since that is how US 41 South is presently signed within Evansville.

BTW - not having been there myself, just how big a town is Fulton?

I-164 never had control cities if I recall, other than US 41 and I-64. Henderson would be appropriate for that though and in the future INDOT would likely sign Memphis given their ability to recognize larger cities down the road. An article in the Bloomington newspaper I put up on the I-69 in Indiana thread showed that INDOT plans on including some signage for northbound I-69 in the direction of Bloomington, signing perhaps that city as the northbound control city, since completion to Indy is still years away. Signing in the same respect toward Henderson would be appropriate.

I would also like to mention that Fulton also has a McDonalds, I have stopped there and was surprised to see the Walmart as well.

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 06, 2016, 12:31:59 PM
And, as it turns out, Memphis is actually used as a control city for US 51/US 45W southbound at its interchange with US 45E and the Purchase Parkway.

Yep, that's on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky, and is obviously a Tennessee install on Bluegrass turf. The style of gantry is the giveaway. That's the first mention of Memphis, and I don't remember where the next mention is. I've only driven US 51 southbound as far as where US 45W splits off. My two forays across US 51 (from Memphis north a few years ago, and a clinch about three years ago) were northbound.

As for Fulton's size, it's not that big of a town. I've been to or through there three or four times, and I don't remember the Walmart. I'm not surprised it's on the Kentucky side of the state line, though, given the difference in sales tax rates between the two states.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

EngineerTM

This was great news to hear.  Kentucky Governor Bevin both confirmed his commitment to I-69 and specifically announced during his first State of the Commonwealth speech his intention to dedicate millions of dollars towards accelerating Kentucky's portion of the new I-69 bridge and roadway over the Ohio River.

http://www.thegleaner.com/news/bevin-road-plan-includes-millions-in-new-money-for-i-69-bridge-project-2a53b7b1-f655-3c52-e053-01000-366760241.html

QuoteOn Wednesday, the state released hard copies of the proposed road plan. As BridgeLink requested, the money for the environmental study was moved forward to 2017.

The plan calls for $2.82 million to be allocated in 2017 for the environmental study but then goes on to call for $41 million for the project, spread out over three years, starting in 2019, to "develop alignment for Interstate 69 Henderson/Evansville Ohio River crossing."

The project would receive $6 million in 2019, $20 million in 2020 and $15 million in 2021 for preconstruction work.

"That's all new money (for the project),"

This is great news!  Now if Indiana can step up its share of the project, we may see I-69 between Indiana and Kentucky a reality much sooner.

Grzrd

Quote from: EngineerTM on January 28, 2016, 12:18:35 PM
This was great news to hear.  Kentucky Governor Bevin both confirmed his commitment to I-69 and specifically announced during his first State of the Commonwealth speech his intention to dedicate millions of dollars towards accelerating Kentucky's portion of the new I-69 bridge and roadway over the Ohio River.
http://www.thegleaner.com/news/bevin-road-plan-includes-millions-in-new-money-for-i-69-bridge-project-2a53b7b1-f655-3c52-e053-01000-366760241.html

Also, this article reports and clarifies that all of Kentucky's prior commitments for I-69 are honored in the Recommended Plan:

Governor Bevin submitted his six-year highway plan to members of the Kentucky General Assembly on Wednesday, including a major Calloway County road project.
The governor's outline allocates funding to expand U.S.641 to four lanes from Murray to the Tennessee state line. The plan also honors prior commitments for improvements along the I-69 corridor in western Kentucky.

The Ghostbuster

Somehow, I think it will be awhile before we see an Interstate 69 bridge across the Ohio River.

thefro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 28, 2016, 04:29:17 PM
Somehow, I think it will be awhile before we see an Interstate 69 bridge across the Ohio River.

If Kentucky passes a law to allow a P3 with Indiana for this bridge I think we will see it completed within the next decade.  The reduced cost of the BridgeLink proposal makes it viable between the toll funding, some state + federal.  Politicians on the Indiana side certainly seem to be gung-ho on finishing I-69 and increasing road funding.

mvak36

I wouldn't be suprised if, in the next decade, I-69 goes all the way from the TN-KY border near Fulton all the way to Canada.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Grzrd

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 10, 2015, 11:14:25 AM
I just have an open-ended question to see if anyone has any information regarding SIU 6.  The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's home page on I-69 reported that there were four interchanges that would need to be upgraded to interstate standards.  These interchanges are at the I-69/I-24 junction with the Purchase Parkway, exit 43 at Route 348 at Benton, exit 21 in Mayfield, and exit 14 at Route 339 at Wingo.  Google Earth shows construction going on at the Benton Interchange, but the imagery is back from July.  Does anyone have any updates regarding these improvements?  I was also under the impression that the KTC could not re-sign the Purchase Parkway until these improvements were either finished or substantially under construction.  Any updates would be greatly appreciated!

This February 1 TV video provides an update on the Purchase Parkway transition and quotes Graves County Economic Development Director Ryan Drane as hoping that I-69 shields will be installed "within the next 12 to 18 months":

... Upgrades to portions of west Kentucky's Purchase Parkway as it transitions to I-69 are more than halfway done.
The $8 million project, which started last April, is about 70 percent complete. It's a 30 mile stretch from Julian-Carroll-Jackson Purchase Parkway near Mayfield, extending northward toward the I-24 interchange near Calvert City.
Upgrades include guard rail and median work, along with widening and lengthening exit ramps.
Graves County Economic Development Director Ryan Drane ....
hopes they will get their shields or signage changed within the next 12 to 18 months.

"The I-69 designation that totally changes the game. Then we are known by not only by national but international travelers that this is a direct and quickest route to get from their location to where they are going,"  Drane said.
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Spokesperson Keith Todd says the most notable work ongoing at this time is new deck and barrier walls on the Clarks River bridge between Benton and Draffenville around the 44 mile marker. They also have some extended sections of milling and paving that will have to wait until March.
There's also reconstruction happening along Kentucky 348 in Benton at the exit 43 interchange in Marshall County. It is 40 percent complete and shut down for the winter. The target completion date is June 30. Work should resume in March.
Todd says in the future they expect to have projects for reconstruction of the I-69/I-24/Purchase Parkway interchange at Calvert City and the interchange at the southwest edge of Mayfield for the US 45 bypass and the south leg of the Purchase Parkway to Fulton. This is to make these interchanges full flow for I-69 traffic. Start dates for the projects are expected to be announced soon.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 25, 2015, 01:13:57 PM
Here is a snip of the interchange redesign map from Gov. Beshear's press release that provides an illustration of the flyover ramp from Future I-69/Purchase Parkway northbound to the Purchase Parkway spur:
Quote from: Grzrd on February 03, 2016, 09:08:02 AM
This February 1 TV video provides an update on the Purchase Parkway transition ...:
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Spokesperson Keith Todd ....
says in the future they expect to have projects for reconstruction of the I-69/I-24/Purchase Parkway interchange at Calvert City and the interchange at the southwest edge of Mayfield for the US 45 bypass and the south leg of the Purchase Parkway to Fulton. This is to make these interchanges full flow for I-69 traffic. Start dates for the projects are expected to be announced soon.

This article reports that contracts have been awarded for the Interstate 24/Julian Carroll-Purchase Parkway interchange near Calvert City, the U.S. 45-Bypass/Purchase Parkway interchange southwest of Mayfield, and the reconstruction of the Kentucky 80 Mayfield interchange and improved connections to U.S. 45; work is expected to begin in March:

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says it has awarded two contracts for major interchange upgrades on the Interstate 69 Corridor in Marshall and Graves counties.
KYTC spokesman Keith Todd says Gov. Matt Bevin announced Jim Smith Contracting, of Grand Rivers, has been awarded a $37 million contract for the reconstruction of the Interstate 24/Julian Carroll-Purchase Parkway interchange near Calvert City in Marshall County.
Todd said Bevin also announced awarding Jim Smith Contracting a $24 million contract for the reconstruction of the U.S. 45-Bypass/Purchase Parkway interchange southwest of Mayfield in Graves County.  The project includes the reconstruction of the Kentucky 80 Mayfield interchange and improved connections to U.S. 45.

Todd says the revised interchange design for Calvert City maintains a direct connection between the existing Purchase Parkway and U.S. 62 at Calvert City. The project, which is on the southwest edge of Mayfield, includes the reconstruction of the U.S. 45-Bypass/Purchase Parkway interchange, as well as the reconstruction of the KY 80 interchange and improved connections with U.S. 45.
Todd said the chief engineer on the project expects the contractor will be ready to start work sometime in March.

Here is a snip of the US 45 interchange:

Here is a snip of the KY 80 interchange:

abqtraveler

Nice to see that Kentucky is moving full bore on converting the Purchase Parkway to I-69.  Unfortunately it looks like it'll end up being a cul-de-sac at the Tennessee state line until Tennessee comes up with the money to reconfigure the South Fulton interchange.  I doubt that'll happen any time soon.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

rte66man

That KY80 interchange in Mayfield is desperately in need of improvement.  When I was there a few years ago, I was westbound on 80 and turned north on the Purchase.  I was horrified to see there was ZERO merge area.  You come down the hill with limited visibility and are dumped immediately onto the Purchase. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

lordsutch

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 09, 2016, 03:36:59 PM
Nice to see that Kentucky is moving full bore on converting the Purchase Parkway to I-69.  Unfortunately it looks like it'll end up being a cul-de-sac at the Tennessee state line until Tennessee comes up with the money to reconfigure the South Fulton interchange.  I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

TDOT could close the median cut at the southbound ramp and the turnaround for TN 214 as an interim measure; traffic from town trying to access the high school would have to take the long way, but otherwise limiting access wouldn't cause too much trouble.

Besides which, the Union City bypass is probably still a decade away from being complete, so at best it'd just extend the designation a few miles to the southwest to a seemingly arbitrary point on the US 51/45W freeway.

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on February 10, 2016, 10:01:51 PM
Besides which, the Union City bypass is probably still a decade away from being complete, so at best it'd just extend the designation a few miles to the southwest to a seemingly arbitrary point on the US 51/45W freeway.

Judging by how TDOT has been dragging their feet with I-269 signage in Memphis, I doubt I-69 shields will go up anytime soon between Fulton and Union City, or between Troy and Dyersburg.
Cody Goodman

abqtraveler

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 11, 2016, 08:48:25 AM

Judging by how TDOT has been dragging their feet with I-269 signage in Memphis, I doubt I-69 shields will go up anytime soon between Fulton and Union City, or between Troy and Dyersburg.

Tennessee simply lacks the money and political will to get their part of I-69 done.  Segment 8 between Dyersburg and Millington has pretty much been taken off the table, meaning its probable that that portion of I-69 will never get built. Same goes for the section of I-69 between I-269 and I-40/TN-300 on the north side of Memphis.  The only reason Segment 7 is being built (at glacial speed) is because a slow trickle of federal money for that section.

The rationale of course--no money to build the 74 miles of new highway between Memphis and Dyersburg.  Several years ago the Tennessee Legislature passed a bill that would authorize toll roads, but no section of I-69 in Tennessee has been considered for tolling.  From that I surmise that politicians and transportation officials in Tennessee are simply not interested in building I-69, but the state is being forced to pursue the highway thanks to an unfunded mandate imposed by the federal government.  IMHO, it's being viewed as a "nice-to-have," but "we can live without it too."
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

silverback1065

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 11, 2016, 09:50:16 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 11, 2016, 08:48:25 AM

Tennessee simply lacks the money and political will to get their part of I-69 done.  Segment 8 between Dyersburg and Millington has pretty much been taken off the table, meaning its probable that that portion of I-69 will never get built. Same goes for the section of I-69 between I-269 and I-40/TN-300 on the north side of Memphis.  The only reason Segment 7 is being built (at glacial speed) is because a slow trickle of federal money for that section.

The rationale of course--no money to build the 74 miles of new highway between Memphis and Dyersburg.  Several years ago the Tennessee Legislature passed a bill that would authorize toll roads, but no section of I-69 in Tennessee has been considered for tolling.  From that I surmise that politicians and transportation officials in Tennessee are simply not interested in building I-69, but the state is being forced to pursue the highway thanks to an unfunded mandate imposed by the federal government.  IMHO, it's being viewed as a "nice-to-have," but "we can live without it too."

Does Tennessee really benefit from this highway?  I'm still skeptical at the use of 69 south of e-ville.

english si

Linking Memphis to the areas north/northeast of it, especially the I-71 corridor via the W KY Pkwy, better is a decent gain for TN.

The issue TN has is that US51 is a pretty decent road, but requires a lot of costly work to get it to interstate standards. There's no not-that-decent bit that needs an offline new-build route anyway, like IN, to get momentum for the project going*. Nor is it like KY where a dozen small schemes improving bridge clearances and a couple of medium ones rebuilding junctions can get 95% of the work done for not much, allowing the momentum to build for the remaining 5%**.

TN just cannot get the momentum of something that needs upgrading badly (IN) or low-hanging fruit that can add large lengths of I-69 for less than $1bn (KY).

*it's sheer momentum that will get IN37 upgraded, as it suffers from the same issues as US51 in TN of the existing road being mostly fine and works to upgrade it being costly.
**the Ohio River Bridge suffers the same issues as IN37 and US51 in TN: the existing road is mostly good enough and the cost of getting it to a standard that blue and white shields can be used is high.

abqtraveler

Quote from: english si on February 11, 2016, 11:42:55 AM
Linking Memphis to the areas north/northeast of it, especially the I-71 corridor via the W KY Pkwy, better is a decent gain for TN.

The issue TN has is that US51 is a pretty decent road, but requires a lot of costly work to get it to interstate standards. There's no not-that-decent bit that needs an offline new-build route anyway, like IN, to get momentum for the project going*. Nor is it like KY where a dozen small schemes improving bridge clearances and a couple of medium ones rebuilding junctions can get 95% of the work done for not much, allowing the momentum to build for the remaining 5%**.

TN just cannot get the momentum of something that needs upgrading badly (IN) or low-hanging fruit that can add large lengths of I-69 for less than $1bn (KY).

*it's sheer momentum that will get IN37 upgraded, as it suffers from the same issues as US51 in TN of the existing road being mostly fine and works to upgrade it being costly.
**the Ohio River Bridge suffers the same issues as IN37 and US51 in TN: the existing road is mostly good enough and the cost of getting it to a standard that blue and white shields can be used is high.

From Dyersburg to Fulton, US-51 is already close to interstate grade, aside for the Troy-Union City section (~22 miles) and the South Fulton interchange at the Kentucky state line, so it would make sense for Tennessee to finish Segment 7.  That way, I-69 would continue from where the Purchase Parkway ends to I-155, where traffic could follow 155 over the river to Cape Girardeau, Missouri and continue south to Memphis and points beyond on I-55.  Since there's already a viable route from Dyersburg to Memphis, there would be no immediate need to build Segment 8 of I-69.

rte66man

The issue TN has is that US51 is a pretty decent road, but requires a lot of costly work to get it to interstate standards. There's no not-that-decent bit that needs an offline new-build route anyway, like IN, to get momentum for the project going...

I beg to differ.  Dyersburg to Ripley is very nice, but Ripley to Covington is fair, and from there it is nothing but poor.  51 takes you right through the heart of Covington, there are stretches of Missouri 4 lane that is highly substandard, the amount of cross traffic is heavy, etc.  Ripley to Millington HAS to have a new alignment.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

lordsutch

Quote from: rte66man on February 11, 2016, 10:47:09 PM
I beg to differ.  Dyersburg to Ripley is very nice, but Ripley to Covington is fair, and from there it is nothing but poor.  51 takes you right through the heart of Covington, there are stretches of Missouri 4 lane that is highly substandard, the amount of cross traffic is heavy, etc.  Ripley to Millington HAS to have a new alignment.

Indeed. As I've said before elsewhere, the traffic and operational demand is there for an alignment west of US 51 from Millington to Covington to the Hatchie River crossing; it's just a matter of resources. I think you'll start to see more serious movement on SIU 8 when the Troy-Union City section goes out for paving. Until then there isn't a lot of point in moving the environmental and design paperwork forward since it'd likely just have to be reexamined when the money is there to build anyway.

wdcrft63

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 11, 2016, 02:09:51 PM

From Dyersburg to Fulton, US-51 is already close to interstate grade, aside for the Troy-Union City section (~22 miles) and the South Fulton interchange at the Kentucky state line, so it would make sense for Tennessee to finish Segment 7.  That way, I-69 would continue from where the Purchase Parkway ends to I-155, where traffic could follow 155 over the river to Cape Girardeau, Missouri and continue south to Memphis and points beyond on I-55.  Since there's already a viable route from Dyersburg to Memphis, there would be no immediate need to build Segment 8 of I-69.

There is a parallel discussion of I-69 in TN going on in the appropriate forum for that state. It seems that Tennessee is indeed moving forward slowly on Segment 7, with several projects ready for bid this year.

US 41

I don't understand why Kentucky is redoing perfectly fine interchanges. If they have that much money to waste on stupid stuff like that then I am 100% against a raise in the gas tax. There is nothing wrong with the cloverleaf or the trumpet, and both are interstate quality interchanges regardless. The trumpet could've used some more signage or better markings on the road itself, but totally changing the interchange is just dumb. BTW I have driven through both of these interchanges, so I know what I am talking about.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

EngineerTM

Quote from: US 41 on February 12, 2016, 05:25:58 PM
I don't understand why Kentucky is redoing perfectly fine interchanges. If they have that much money to waste on stupid stuff like that then I am 100% against a raise in the gas tax. There is nothing wrong with the cloverleaf or the trumpet, and both are interstate quality interchanges regardless. The trumpet could've used some more signage or better markings on the road itself, but totally changing the interchange is just dumb. BTW I have driven through both of these interchanges, so I know what I am talking about.

When the KTC proposed converting these parkways to I-69, all aspects of these highways (such as ramp widths, sight distance, ramp lengths for transitions, bridge capacities, barriers, and such) were studied against current code requirements for interstates that are mandated by law.  Although you and others may think that there is nothing wrong with the current configurations, these interchanges do not meet interstate design criteria and must be upgraded before FHWA would allow the parkways to be converted to I-69.  All of these documents, along with supporting appendices, are available on the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's website for I-69.  These are legal documents that must be made available to the public.  In fact, every state DOT website related to I-69 have all of these studies available to the public.  As an engineer, I found many of these studies interesting to read.  However, to many in the public, they may not see these in the same manner as I do.

When I design a structure (and I've worked in both the transportation and private development industries), my work must be in compliance with all applicable codes for the structure's designated function.  I may not always agree with these requirements, but they are legally binding.  And all of these code requirements are based on years of on-going study, research, crash-data, and many other variables, and any changes proposed have been rigorously peer-reviewed by professionals experienced in these fields.

vdeane

Quote from: US 41 on February 12, 2016, 05:25:58 PM
They AREN'T interstate quality, not if I-69 is to be the "through route".  The FHWA has BANNED TOTSOs in new interstates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.