News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 23, 2013, 08:16:28 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, that way I-69 will finally be able to go through downtown (if it follows the I-70 route.) It may me think of possibly seeing references to Fort Wayne and Evansville at the North and South Split interchanges if such a route were followed and I-70 would only need to be widened a little bit to the southwest of Plainfield (which would probably be done anyway given the future plans for I-70 across the state.)

Living in Perry Township (toward the east around I-65) I am a little dismayed about this whole "tearing up neighborhoods" argument. SR 37 isn't exactly a unifying force across the western part of the township right now and personally feels like a barrier anyway. I won't argue that widening and conversion into an interstate might knock out a few houses near the overpasses and interchanges, but it's not like they'll be bulldozing thorugh entire subdivisions. Well, it's not like anyone cares about those in northern Morgan County who may feel the impact of a new terrain route north to I-70.

You must live pretty close to my in-laws, who are about 2 miles from the I-65/I-465 interchange.  They hardly ever travel to the far western reaches of Perry Twp. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ShawnP

A reroute would require another EIS and the fights involved with that. Most likely would delay I-69 another 2-3 years.

silverback1065

He's just pandering to people in the area, no way in hell the reroute will happen in my opinion.

andy

http://www.ibj.com/indiana-presses-ahead-with-i-69s-next-section/PARAMS/article/41510

"The I-69 extension's first 67 miles between Evansville and the Crane area opened in November. A 27-mile stretch that will run from Crane to Bloomington is under construction in Greene and Monroe counties."

"That segment is expected to be completed by late 2015, with its first portions opening in late 2014, said Jim Stark, INDOT's deputy commissioner for planning and project management."

I've seen the subtle shift of language from "late 2014" to "2015" regarding the Crane to Bloomington link, but this is the first time I've seen them admit "late 2015" and that part of the segment (presumably IN37 to IN45) will not also be delayed into 2015.

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 23, 2013, 05:22:00 PM
He's just pandering to people in the area, no way in hell the reroute will happen in my opinion.

Agreed there... making a new terrain cut-through to I-70 (5-10 miles at the least) would cost a lot more.  There's really not *that* much they'd need to displace with the way they currently have Section 6 routed.

Quote from: andy on May 23, 2013, 06:34:18 PM

http://www.ibj.com/indiana-presses-ahead-with-i-69s-next-section/PARAMS/article/41510

I've seen the subtle shift of language from "late 2014" to "2015" regarding the Crane to Bloomington link, but this is the first time I've seen them admit "late 2015" and that part of the segment (presumably IN37 to IN45) will not also be delayed into 2015.

That's my guess as well... they'd open the road between SR 37/SR45 and folks could use US 231 --> SR 45 to go between the I-69 segments until they finish the last part of Section 4.

silverback1065

Wouldn't moving it to hit 70 at the airport actually destroy more neighborhoods than using 37?  I really don't see many neighborhoods being messed with using the current route (not counting the new interchange at 465 that would make a lot of land owners lose their land) not only that but it would add several unnecessary miles and time to your trip (people would start using 37 to save time as well.) The idea to put it at the airport is stupid and has no benefits at all in my opinion.  The land owners of the area around 37 just want to move it to the airport area so that someone else will lose their land and they get to keep theirs.   

andy

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 23, 2013, 10:12:46 PM
Wouldn't moving it to hit 70 at the airport actually destroy more neighborhoods than using 37?  I really don't see many neighborhoods being messed with using the current route (not counting the new interchange at 465 that would make a lot of land owners lose their land) not only that but it would add several unnecessary miles and time to your trip (people would start using 37 to save time as well.) The idea to put it at the airport is stupid and has no benefits at all in my opinion.  The land owners of the area around 37 just want to move it to the airport area so that someone else will lose their land and they get to keep theirs.   

I'm taxing my ability to remember, but I thought the current plan allowed moving slightly west of 37 at the north end for a new exchange with 465 between 37 and the White River.  To completely re-use 37's foot print, frontage roads would have to built to replace 37, so it would seem to make sense just offset "a bit" and build new.  To be honest I don't make it to Indy enough (and try to avoid the IN37/I465 area) to know where that split would have to happen.

As for the I-69 delay between IN45 and US231, I agree traffic would use IN45 south of I69 and IN45/IN58 to US231.  In any case, my co-workers at  Crane would have the part they care about. (I've been greatly enjoying the Washington-Evansville link.)

theline

Andy, maybe you're thinking of the EIS map from a decade ago. Who knows if that holds any legitimacy now, though that route continues to make a lot of sense to me. It veers off the existing SR-37 about a quarter mile south of 465 to continue straight north to a new interchange. Here's a link to the map: http://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/i69/pubs/page20.pdf

vtk

Actually, I thought I'd seen where someone shared a map of the I-69/465 interchange and what exactly happens to the part of IN 37 that's skipped by the I-69 alignment.  However, I looked back in this thread about 20 pages and didn't see it...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

silverback1065

I wonder why they don't just do something similar to southeastern ave and i-74, or binford and 465/69/37.  Put it all in one place instead of 2 separate interchanges.

tdindy88

Because there's a bunch of truck stops at that interchange. Not sure if that's a good reason but that area is crowded. As it is, the new interchange will be going over primarly industrial sites as it leads north of 37 up to 465, so again the whole going through neighborhoods argument is lost.

thefro

http://www.in.gov/ifa/files/RFQ__for__I-69_Section_5.pdf

The Indiana Finance Authority has released the RFQ for Section 5

Final ROD from FHWA is expected in July 2013.  INDOT's going to start buying the needed ROW once that completes.

One of the project goals is "Achieve substantial completion for the Project by Fall 2016", which is a pretty aggressive time frame.  I would assume that would mean all the new overpasses/interchanges are open to traffic, stoplights removed, new lanes open etc, but there might still be some cleanup work to do in 2017 before they could sign the whole thing as I-69 to Martinsville.

QuoteThe Indiana Finance Authority (the "IFA" ), a body politic and corporate, not a state agency but an independent instrumentality exercising essential public functions, in cooperation with the Indiana Department of Transportation ("INDOT" ), is pleased to present this Request for Qualifications ("RFQ" ) to prospective entities or groups of entities (the "Proposers" ) interested in submitting statements of qualifications ("SOQs" ) to develop, design, build, finance, operate and maintain the I-69 Section 5 project through an availability payment concession pursuant to a public-private partnership agreement ("PPA" ). The I-69 Section 5 project consists of upgrading approximately 21 miles of existing State Route 37, a four-lane median divided highway, between Bloomington, IN and Martinsville, IN to an interstate highway (the "Project" ) . A general map of the Project can be found at the following procurement website:
http://www.in.gov/ifa/2779.htm
The Project is needed and private sector involvement is sought because of the following conditions:
- The Project is part of the national I-69 corridor and improves safety and connectivity to newly constructed I-69 in southwest Indiana;
- Traditional funding sources for the Project are limited and the State of Indiana (the "State" ) is seeking to partner with the private sector to optimize the capital funding plan; and
- Private sector innovation in the design and management may help the Project be completed quicker and more efficiently.
IFA and INDOT are committed to improving mobility in the region and using project delivery methods that provide overall best value to the citizens of the State, including the use of public-private partnerships ("P3s" ).
The Project presents an attractive opportunity for the private sector because:
- IFA and INDOT are committed to the completion of the Project;
- The State has created a business environment that is attractive to private initiatives;
- The State maintains a AAA credit rating and has a successful history of procuring P3 projects; and
- The anticipated availability payment P3 structure provides a stable platform for risk sharing with the private sector.

The Project is one of six sections that are anticipated to complete the interstate connection from Evansville, Indiana to Indianapolis, Indiana. The broader I-69 project is part of the national I-69 corridor to connect Mexico with Canada. In addition to the Project, the broader I-69 project in the State includes five other sections, four of which that are either completed or are underway beginning just north of the boundary of the Evansville metropolitan area and stretching to SR 37 in Monroe County near Victor Pike southwest of the City of Bloomington. Section 6 begins south of the SR 39 / SR 37 interchange south of Martinsville, and continues northward to I-465 in Indianapolis. This section is approximately 26 miles long and is located in Morgan, Johnson, and Marion Counties. Section 6 is still in the planning stage and construction has not yet started.
The Project involves the construction of four new interchanges and four new overpasses with varying degrees of improvements to the existing interchanges and overpass. The new interchanges are at the Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road/SR 45/2nd Street, Sample Road and Liberty Church Road, all of which are current intersections with SR 37. . The new overpasses will be at Rockport Road, Vernal Pike, Kinser Pike and Chambers Pike. It is anticipated that the selected private-sector partner ("Developer" ) will develop, design, build, finance, operate and maintain the Project through an availability payment concession, as more particularly described in this RFQ.
For areas where the freeway is located in a rural area, the mainline design consists of a four-lane divided highway with two 12-foot lanes in each direction separated by a depressed median within the rural sections of I-69 north of Bloomington (north of Chambers Pike). The median includes two seven-foot wide usable inside shoulders, six feet of which are paved. Additional 12-foot-wide lanes are provided in select locations for warranted truck climbing lanes and ramp acceleration and deceleration lanes, and a 12-foot-wide outer shoulder.
For the urban areas, the mainline design consists of a six-lane divided highway with three 12-foot lanes in each direction. Median treatment options include a depressed median or paved shoulders separated by a concrete barrier wall.
Local access roads are proposed for either side of the mainline at various points throughout the Project corridor. These local access roads provide access to otherwise landlocked properties. Either a median or barrier wall will be used between the interstate mainline and access roads. The typical cross sections of these access roads include two travel lanes in each direction (width varies between 11-12 feet). Paved shoulders, varying by specific alternative, will range from 5-8 feet.

thefro

Survey work has started on Section 5

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=104024&information_id=182569&type=&syndicate=syndicate

QuoteSurveying Begins in Bloomington for I-69 Section 5

Drivers urged to slow down, stay alert along S.R. 37

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Motorists will see a variety of preliminary survey activities taking place throughout the summer along State Road 37 in preparation for procurement of I-69 Section 5 between Bloomington and Martinsville. Crews are drilling for soil and utility exploration and performing topographic surveys, among other surveying work.

Utility crews separate from INDOT are also working along State Road 37 to install new service lines. Drivers are encouraged to stay alert for the safety of motorists and highway workers. Indiana's "Move Over, Slow Down"  law requires drivers to reduce their speed 10 mph below the posted speed limit if they cannot change lanes away from a survey or utility crew with emergency lights flashing.

The I-69 project team is again offering personalized outreach to property owners that may be impacted by Section 5. More than 100 "kitchen table meetings"  have been held thus far to prepare landowners for survey work and land acquisition. INDOT's kitchen table meetings have been recognized as a successful practice by the Federal Highway Administration, the Institute of Transportation Engineers and the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials.

Private contractor employees working on behalf of INDOT are required to attend customer service training before being certified to conduct field studies. Landowners are welcome to request photo identification with the I-69 logo before surveyors enter private property as permitted under state law.

ShawnP

Captain Jack

silverback1065

Question about 69:
Was I-69 originally supposed to terminate at the north split?  I think that there was a proposed I-165 that was supposed to go from the north split and end at around 38th street, but was the original plan for it to be I-69?

dfwtbear

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 27, 2013, 02:54:47 PM
Question about 69:
Was I-69 originally supposed to terminate at the north split?  I think that there was a proposed I-165 that was supposed to go from the north split and end at around 38th street, but was the original plan for it to be I-69?
Yes, I-69 was supposed to terminate at the interchange of I-65 and I-70 at the north split.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69_in_Indiana

theline

Quote from: dfwtbear on June 27, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 27, 2013, 02:54:47 PM
Question about 69:
Yes, I-69 was supposed to terminate at the interchange of I-65 and I-70 at the north split.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69_in_Indiana
Substantially correct information, though the following seems to be inaccurate.
QuoteState officials later sought to designate the proposed Northeast Freeway connecting that I-69/I-465 interchange to the North Split interchange, approximately 11 miles (18 km) in length, as Interstate 165 in order to get around the initial ruling.
The actual proposed route of I-165 was shorter. According to this FHWA page, the proposed route ran northward from the north split, ending at 38th Street near the south end of Binford Blvd. (To get to the part about I-165, scroll down about halfway or search for "I-165".)

Alps

Quote from: theline on June 27, 2013, 05:12:14 PM(To get to the part about I-165, scroll down about halfway or search for "I-165".)
a) but then you miss everything else
b) holy shit

NE2

c) already posted in some bumfuck thread but it's still awesome
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theline

Thanks for the appreciation, I think. I had posted the link before in the thread on canceled interstates in the fictional highways board. It's lots of interesting stuff on that subject, though I have yet to get through the whole thing.

Pete from Boston

Quotenot a state agency but an independent instrumentality exercising essential public functions

Is this the Indiana way of saying "independent authority," "quasi-public corporation," etc.?

tvketchum

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 27, 2013, 08:58:07 PM
Quotenot a state agency but an independent instrumentality exercising essential public functions

Is this the Indiana way of saying "independent authority," "quasi-public corporation," etc.?

No, it's the Indiana way of saying the party in control has changed and will pursue its agenda....

silverback1065

This is somewhat appropriate
The last shield inside Indianapolis (that I know of): https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.71903,-86.147366&spn=0.003594,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.718831,-86.148289&panoid=tauJHoZxqPvY6L5jTMllyQ&cbp=12,15.98,,0,3.7

I drove by it today and was pretty shocked to see it still there after all of these years!  Does anyone else know of anymore?

tdindy88

I'm not sure what Madison Avenue has to do with I-69, it's not like they'll be signing it on that road. Speaking of that area, the Google Streetview image is already outdated now that there's an arch in the area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.