News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

It a partly cloudy windy Christmas
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jp the roadgeek

The NWS panicked when they upped the totals to 6-8".  We got 2 1/2"  of snow.  Just enough to make it festive but not enough to make it a nightmare to remove.  They really need to divide Hartford County in half; Hartland and Granby on the MA border could be forecast to get a foot of snow, while places in the New Britain/Bristol/Southington area 40 miles away could be forecast to get rain, and the whole county goes under a winter storm warning.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadgeek01

No snow where I am :-( , but it is really cold, and the trees are sneezing a lot, too.
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

kkt

White Christmas in Seattle!  A couple of inches in my neighborhood.  I think this is the first white Christmas while I have been home in about 20 years:  they have happened more recently, but quite a few Christmases I was at my mom's or elsewhere.

Bruce

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on December 24, 2017, 02:42:14 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 24, 2017, 09:54:04 AM
72° and cloudy, forecast high today 79°. I know that's normal, but it still doesn't feel like Christmastime.

I'm guessing you're not in suburban DC.
Visiting relatives in Fort Myers. Backyard scene this afternoon:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jardine

North east of Omaha/CB

Too fucking cold !!!

Hurricane Rex

Most of our snow is gone but today was our 3rd white Christmas: (1938, 2008, 2017). 2nd potential round tomorrow night into Wednesday.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ET21

The Arctic hit big time. -3 this morning, only going for a high of 8.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

7/8

-14°C (7°F) and sunny, feels like -25°C (-13°F). It looks like it'll be a cold week, but I'm happy we had a white Christmas here in Kitchener. My younger brother is now back in Winnipeg, where it's -27°C (-17°F) and feels like -38°C (-36°F); that's really cold!

Eth

Quote from: 7/8 on December 26, 2017, 12:53:49 PM
-14°C (7°F) and sunny, feels like -25°C (-13°F). It looks like it'll be a cold week, but I'm happy we had a white Christmas here in Kitchener. My younger brother is now back in Winnipeg, where it's -27°C (-17°F) and feels like -38°C (-36°F); that's really cold!

I can't even fathom most of those numbers. 7°F is the absolute lowest I've ever seen in person.

We didn't have a white Christmas in Atlanta (no surprise, it's happened like 3 times in the last century), but it was quite cold, with temperatures holding in the mid-30s all day (a "normal" high being in the low 50s).

They're calling for a chance of the dreaded wintry mix tomorrow morning, followed by more cold for the rest of the week, and I'm keeping on eye on the possibility of snow on New Year's Eve.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Eth on December 26, 2017, 06:45:37 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on December 26, 2017, 12:53:49 PM

I can't even fathom most of those numbers. 7°F is the absolute lowest I've ever seen in person.

And I can't fathom that. I'm certain I've experienced 7°F or less every single year I've lived.

Desert Man

Temps: the Lows 41-47F, Highs 65-71F, sunny with some cloudiness and no snow on the ground. Christmastime weather in the CA desert. It was rather chilly (30s F) last weekend.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Hurricane Rex

Freezing rain is falling on the ground again...

I ASKED FOR SNOW, NOT FREEZING RAIN MOTHER NATURE.

Running till I die.

ET21

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 27, 2017, 04:49:44 AM
Freezing rain is falling on the ground again...

I ASKED FOR SNOW, NOT FREEZING RAIN MOTHER NATURE.

Freezing rain is the worst thing to hear with a storm. That always worries me the most, though Chicago hasn't had a big crippling ice storm for 10-ish years

Clinched:

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hurricane Rex

All ice is melted, back to 50 and raining.

Next update Saturday or Sunday.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 28, 2017, 03:10:14 AM
All ice is melted, back to 50 and raining.

Same up here, except snow instead of ice. The snow stuck around (in some capacity) through this morning, but quickly disappeared when the rain moved in.

1995hoo

Fleece-lined jeans are quite nice tonight, both outside (feels like 16°) and at the hockey game (AC vent above our section blowing cold air).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

First snow last night dumped about an inch, second round is on the way today with another 2-4 inches. Then back into the deep freeze for New Years. There's hints of a possible blockage in the upper air pattern on long range forecasts that could prevent the arctic air from retreating much, hopefully that does not come true. Chiberia lives!

Clinched:

jakeroot

Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM
First snow last night dumped about an inch, second round is on the way today with another 2-4 inches. Then back into the deep freeze for New Years. There's hints of a possible blockage in the upper air pattern on long range forecasts that could prevent the arctic air from retreating much, hopefully that does not come true. Chiberia lives!

Just looked at the forecast for Chicago. Does it normally get below freezing for 2+ weeks during the winter? I understand that Chicago is prone to well-below-freezing temperatures, but for that long seems unusual.

FWIW, I'd take that over 40 and rain, which is what I'm getting plenty of in Seattle.

hotdogPi

1°F at 9:40 AM EST (and was 0° at 7:30 AM). At least I don't have to go outside today.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MNHighwayMan

Thirteen degrees right now, and I'm waiting for today's promised snow to begin. There's been snow on the ground since the 24th, and I'm relishing this experience because snow doesn't typically stick that long around here–at least not in December.

roadman

4 degrees in Downtown Boston, but the wind chill is minus 10.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ET21

Quote from: jakeroot on December 29, 2017, 08:34:17 AM
Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM

Just looked at the forecast for Chicago. Does it normally get below freezing for 2+ weeks during the winter? I understand that Chicago is prone to well-below-freezing temperatures, but for that long seems unusual.

FWIW, I'd take that over 40 and rain, which is what I'm getting plenty of in Seattle.

W'ere running about 15-20 degrees below normal. We normally see about one of these outbreaks per year, but to have two back to back arctic punches is unusual. Plus this new wave is under an abnormally strong high pressure (1052 mb forecasted!). Jan and Feb are our coldest months, so to have this in December is a bit extreme.

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.