News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2017, 11:44:37 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 29, 2017, 08:34:17 AM
Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM
First snow last night dumped about an inch, second round is on the way today with another 2-4 inches. Then back into the deep freeze for New Years. There's hints of a possible blockage in the upper air pattern on long range forecasts that could prevent the arctic air from retreating much, hopefully that does not come true. Chiberia lives!

Just looked at the forecast for Chicago. Does it normally get below freezing for 2+ weeks during the winter? I understand that Chicago is prone to well-below-freezing temperatures, but for that long seems unusual.

FWIW, I'd take that over 40 and rain, which is what I'm getting plenty of in Seattle.

W'ere running about 15-20 degrees below normal. We normally see about one of these outbreaks per year, but to have two back to back arctic punches is unusual. Plus this new wave is under an abnormally strong high pressure (1052 mb forecasted!). Jan and Feb are our coldest months, so to have this in December is a bit extreme.

Just checked the forecast for Chicago again. I'm seeing exactly one day for the next two weeks where it's predicted to get above freezing: 7 January, with a high of 33! :-D

I can see why below-freezing temps might get annoying after weeks of it, but it still doesn't sound too bad to me, especially if it isn't snowing every day.

Roadgeekteen

Still very cold. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 02, 2018, 04:41:00 PM
The Potomac River is not frozen solid enough to be safe for skating or walking.

Evidently that didn't stop some dumbass from attempting to drive an SUV on the ice. Didn't work too well.
Wow, in this weather? It must be rare for it to be safe to skate on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 02, 2018, 04:43:20 PM

Evidently that didn't stop some dumbass from attempting to drive an SUV on the ice. Didn't work too well.
Wow, in this weather? It must be rare for it to be safe to skate on it.

Very rare. The C&O Canal is safe far more often than the river due to its much smaller size and the lack of stronger currents. It's pretty common for there to be some amount of ice in the river at various times during the winter, but it's been years since the ice was solid and thick enough to be safe for skating. I know it was safe in January 1977 because of photos I've seen (I was three years old and so I don't remember), but I can't say I recall it having been safe since then.

I think I need to dig out my ski mask for Friday.

adventurernumber1

Probably a week or more or so ago, there was forecasts for possible snow about right now here in Dalton, GA, but unfortunately, that did not happen, and I have to go back to school starting tomorrow.  X-(
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

1995hoo

One of our relatives in Fort Myers sent me a screenshot of Thursday night's forecast there: 36° with 7-mph winds. That's a windchill of 30° in southwest Florida!

Hurricane Rex

Update a day early: Freezing rain potential on Thursday now.

Last couple of days is our typical winter dry pattern, east wind, colder.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 02, 2018, 11:28:07 PM
Update a day early: Freezing rain potential on Thursday now.

Last couple of days is our typical winter dry pattern, east wind, colder.

That Gorge can be one unpredictable bastard. I'm not seeing anything below 40 starting Thursday, through at least next Tuesday.

roadman

Cue the "I was only following my GPS" excuse in three, two, .....
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

index

Partly cloudy skies and cold. Eastern NC is getting snow, I'm not. This makes me jealous, I find snow very relaxing and I'm not getting it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on January 03, 2018, 10:15:49 AM

Cue the "I was only following my GPS" excuse in three, two, .....

inb4 roadman65 complains about GPSs...

hotdogPi

Ventusky says 10 inches of snow tomorrow, with 26 mph winds and 54 mph gusts at 7 PM.

UMass Lowell has already closed for tomorrow (which doesn't affect much, since it's between semesters right now).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

Warmer today, but some big snow on the horizon.

1995hoo

We only got a bit of snow, but it's getting windy. It's trash day, too. Bad combination. I had to clean up someone else's stuff that blew into our yard. Since the box had an address on it, I piled it all back up in front of his garage door. Failing to secure your trash so it doesn't blow all over the place is damn obnoxious, and in his case he put it out Monday (when there was no pickup due to the holiday) and left it there all week, so it's that much more annoying.

This'll be our first chance to see how the AWD system in my wife's new car feels on a snow-covered street.

LM117

No snow here. Just sunny and cold as fuck with the wind blowing it's ass off.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2018, 07:43:17 AM

This'll be our first chance to see how the AWD system in my wife's new car feels on a snow-covered street.

Can't say I noticed any difference between AWD and FWD today, but then we didn't get a huge amount of snow. The AWD lets you "drift" around the corner in the snow just like the FWD if you hit the accelerator partway through the turn....

Hurricane Rex

Freezing rain forecast turned out to be a bust for the media, only the Columbia Gorge got anything and still very little. Back to good old rain for a while.

Next update: Sunday or Monday.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

8 to 14 inches of snow. No school!

1995hoo

Ugly morning at the DC end of I-66 due to an 8"  water main break. Sheet of ice down there. This messes up I-66, Virginia Avenue, Rock Creek Parkway, and surrounding roads. It's currently 12° in the District and feels like —3°, although the windchill doesn't affect the water.

Max Rockatansky

54 F and humid out in Fresno after some rain.  This first time in about two months I've been able to run with shorts/short sleeves on before sunrise.  The Sierras were fully visible from my house at sunrise, that's been a rare thing to see this past month with all the haze.

7/8

Still very cold in Kitchener. Currently -17°C (1°F) with a wind chill of -28°C (-18°F). But at least it's sunny.

It looks like it'll warm up Sunday and Monday, with Monday expected to have a high of 1°C (34°F).

Roadgeekteen

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 05, 2018, 09:34:26 PM
I had a friend tell me in Minneapolis, you could drive trucks on the lake.

Eh, I'd be skeptical about that. Not sure the ice would be thick enough yet, but then again I don't live in MN anymore so I don't exactly follow the ice forecasts (yes, those are a thing.) :)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 05, 2018, 11:39:28 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 05, 2018, 09:39:13 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 05, 2018, 09:34:26 PM
I had a friend tell me in Minneapolis, you could drive trucks on the lake.
Eh, I'd be skeptical about that. Not sure the ice would be thick enough yet, but then again I don't live in MN anymore so I don't exactly follow the ice forecasts (yes, those are a thing.) :)
I wondered about that. To me, I'd have to see it to believe it, though it certainly wouldn't be with my vehicle!

I've been out on frozen lakes before, but never inside a vehicle. Back in high school, my friends used to joke about bringing their fancy trucks out onto frozen lakes in late Jaunary/early February and using the OnStar (is that still a thing?) feature, just to hear the confusion of the operator! (Who, presumably, lived somewhere where lakes didn't freeze. :))

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.