News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Mass improvement from yesterday, 33 and partly cloudy.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 25, 2019, 08:53:01 AM

33 and no rain is better than 55 and rain?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on January 25, 2019, 09:38:14 AM

Yeah, I prefer dry cold to warm rain.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Eth

I'd probably agree, actually. As long as I can see the sun, I'm generally fine with it being cold. I've absolutely hated this winter not because it's cold, but because it seems like it's constantly raining and/or cloudy.

Right now, though, it's sunny and 42. Colder than average for Atlanta, but I give it a thumbs up.

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on January 25, 2019, 08:50:53 AM
Currently -6 with a wind chill of -15, day 1 of the Arctic

Just wait for next Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2019, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 25, 2019, 08:50:53 AM
Currently -6 with a wind chill of -15, day 1 of the Arctic

Just wait for next Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday.

Get ready for dead cars everywhere
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on January 25, 2019, 12:27:49 PM

I'd probably agree, actually. As long as I can see the sun, I'm generally fine with it being cold. I've absolutely hated this winter not because it's cold, but because it seems like it's constantly raining and/or cloudy.

As would I. The constant cloud & drizzle in Seattle does wear on me after a while. I'd take below-freezing and sun over mid-50s and rainy any day.

Bruce

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Hurricane Rex

Just got today's Euro model runs: average of about 2 inches of snow around 11 days out. But with how the models have been this year, its probably going to be 70 and sunny.

Otherwise dry, foggy.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

US 89

The National Weather Service has just issued a Winter Storm Watch for the Atlanta metro area, warning of possibly up to 2 inches of snow on Tuesday.

We'll see what happens; it's still unclear whether most of the precipitation will fall before or after the colder air arrives. If it turns out to be before, it'll just be yet another day of cold rain.

Eth

Quote from: US 89 on January 27, 2019, 02:58:32 PM
The National Weather Service has just issued a Winter Storm Watch for the Atlanta metro area, warning of possibly up to 2 inches of snow on Tuesday.

We'll see what happens; it's still unclear whether most of the precipitation will fall before or after the colder air arrives. If it turns out to be before, it'll just be yet another day of cold rain.

As always with these things, I assume the worst case scenario, i.e. mostly freezing rain and sleet. Most of the time, that's what it ends up being (which results in the usual "LOL Atlanta can't handle one inch of snow"; yeah, neither could y'all if there were a quarter-inch of ice under it).

D-Dey65

Rainy and cold. And I just ran outisde and back without a raincoat.

Roadgeekteen

Winter storm? HA!

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 27, 2019, 05:32:29 PM
Winter storm? HA!

2 inches of snow in an area unprepared to handle it can lead to conditions necessitating a "storm watch". It's basically just saying "hey, it's gonna snow...you know you can't drive in it, so don't go out".

People make fun of Seattle for our inability to handle snow, at least partly due to snow being so rare, as to be impossible to understand how to handle it when driving. But Seattle is covered in hills; driving anywhere without elevation changes is pretty rare. Streets like this are fairly common: http://bit.ly/2sN5nr8

Partially-related: several chances for snow in the Seattle area during the next week and a bit. Day-time temps in the 30s and low 40s, but lows overnight into the twenties, with the chance for precipitation highest during those hours. Clear skies during the evening hours will allow the temps to drop below freezing before precipitation arrives.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2019, 06:18:45 PM
But Seattle is covered in hills; driving anywhere without elevation changes is pretty rare. Streets like this are fairly common: http://bit.ly/2sN5nr8

What is with the bicycle signal on the left in your link? It's halfway pointed at the ground.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 27, 2019, 06:46:53 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2019, 06:18:45 PM
But Seattle is covered in hills; driving anywhere without elevation changes is pretty rare. Streets like this are fairly common: http://bit.ly/2sN5nr8

What is with the bicycle signal on the left in your link? It's halfway pointed at the ground.

Good question. Looks like the mounting hardware fell off. I've heard of backplates getting whacked by trucks, but that wouldn't make sense with the PBL running right next to the signals.

adventurernumber1

There's a chance of snow here where I am in northwestern Georgia on Tuesday.

I echo the posts that say just a little bit of snow could close a lot in a city or region that is not as prepared for handling it as other areas - this includes where I live. Snow and ice, no matter how much, will more often than not close schools over here.

While Seattle is pretty far north, it is known more for rain than snow - I believe this is because it lies within the biome of "Temperate Rainforest," if I recall correctly. Hell, even the southeastern reaches of Alaska may fall within the outer boundaries of the wider range of this biome (Marine West Coast) along the western coast of North America - according to what I have learned in my Physical Geography class that I am taking this semester in college, just this past week.

Many places around the country can handle snow (and lots of it) like a boss, but not everyone gets as much snow where it is worth being just as prepared.  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 27, 2019, 07:02:38 PM

I echo the posts that say just a little bit of snow could close a lot in a city or region that is not as prepared for handling it as other areas - this includes where I live. Snow and ice, no matter how much, will more often than not close schools over here.

While Seattle is pretty far north, it is known more for rain than snow - I believe this is because it lies within the biome of "Temperate Rainforest," if I recall correctly. Hell, even the southeastern reaches of Alaska may fall within the outer boundaries of the wider range of this biome (Marine West Coast) along the western coast of North America - according to what I have learned in my Physical Geography class that I am taking this semester in college, just this past week.

Many places around the country can handle snow (and lots of it) like a boss, but not everyone gets as much snow where it is worth being just as prepared.  :-P
Don't you guys get more snow than Atlanta due to elevation?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 27, 2019, 10:00:42 PM

Don't you guys get more snow than Atlanta due to elevation?

We probably do, but we are still relatively unprepared when compared to places in the Northeast or Midwest. IIRC, we only have one snow-plow in our city (Dalton, though it has a population of over 30,000 people). There are ridges and valleys around us, larger mountains to our east (i.e. past Chatsworth), and the tops of those mountains definitely get more snow than down below. An inch or more of snow here is guaranteed to close all the schools, and in general we're just not accustomed to snow like people farther up north are.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

You're on the right track. Western Washington is a warm-summer Mediterranean climate (Csb), with the Olympic Peninsula's rain forest and bits of northwest Washington (excluding BC's Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island) falling into the Oceanic climate (Cfb in this case). I think most of Western Washington is too dry for oceanic, or something like that.

In either case, snow isn't a major feature; it really only happens when we get an arctic blast from BC (via the Fraser River Watershed, IIRC). We can get huge amounts of snow, but it has to be a "perfect storm", so to speak.

Roadgeekteen

NWI_Irish96

Snowing fairly heavily.  Temperature is currently 28, expected to rise to about 35 by 1pm when the snow/freezing rain ends.  Then temperatures are expected to drop steadily until bottoming out at -23 around 6am Wednesday.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 89

Update: that watch has now been upgraded to a winter weather advisory. We're going into full snowstorm mode for this: Georgia Tech and State, most K-12 districts, and all state/city offices in the Atlanta area will be closed tomorrow.

For those keeping score, the current forecast for Atlanta is 0-1 inches; Cobb County and some of the northwestern suburbs will likely see more.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.