News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 04, 2021, 06:41:14 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2021, 05:07:33 PM
I realize full well that there's still plenty of time left before Spring, but...  It hasn't dropped below 16 degrees at all this year in Wichita.  If we don't have a decent cold snap, I have a feeling the bugs are going to be out in force when the weather warms up later.

Hopefully, that will come next week.

Idk about Wichita, but St. Louis is having some bitterly cold days next week. Thursday looks to be a high of 16 and a low of 0.

Coldest I've ever felt here is -5. That was around the winter of 2013, which is one of the coldest we've ever had.

Yeah, here's hoping this will put a damper on the bug population.

Huh, I'd have figured Saint Louis gets colder than that.  I remember a huge blizzard while we were living in Herrin (IL), but I don't remember the temperatures.  It's rare here for the temp to not drop below zero at least once during the winter.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I lived off and on in St Louis between 2009 and 2012, but primarily only late Spring, Summer, and Fall. From what I recall hearing from my father, snow and cold temps really aren't that nutty compared to other Midwest locales.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2021, 07:13:25 PM
Huh, I'd have figured Saint Louis gets colder than that.  I remember a huge blizzard while we were living in Herrin (IL), but I don't remember the temperatures.  It's rare here for the temp to not drop below zero at least once during the winter.

Meanwhile, I can count on one hand the number of times temps have dropped below zero here in my lifetime. That's largely thanks to the moderating influence of the Great Lakes, but in general, temperature extremes become more common the further west you go.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 04, 2021, 08:17:32 PM

Meanwhile, I can count on one hand the number of times temps have dropped below zero here in my lifetime. That's largely thanks to the moderating influence of the Great Lakes, but in general, temperature extremes become more common the further west you go.

Yeah, I remember a trip up north to Minnesota several years ago.  When we left Wichita, it was below zero.  It stayed below zero for our entire drive north to Minnesota, stayed below zero the entire time we were there, and stayed below zero for the trip back south again until we were about 100 miles from Wichita, when it got up to about six degrees.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

And then there's the Dakotas, where sub-zero temperatures are not only common, but expected, and they're lucky if temps get above freezing once between spring and fall.

Meanwhile, around here a dozen freeze/thaws in a single month would be completely normal. Less than one a week (due to either extended warmth or extended cold) is rare enough to be a real conversation piece.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 04, 2021, 06:41:14 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2021, 05:07:33 PM
I realize full well that there's still plenty of time left before Spring, but...  It hasn't dropped below 16 degrees at all this year in Wichita.  If we don't have a decent cold snap, I have a feeling the bugs are going to be out in force when the weather warms up later.

Hopefully, that will come next week.

Idk about Wichita, but St. Louis is having some bitterly cold days next week. Thursday looks to be a high of 16 and a low of 0.

Coldest I've ever felt here is -5. That was around the winter of 2013, which is one of the coldest we've ever had.

Yeah, here's hoping this will put a damper on the bug population.

Looks like the weather in these parts will stay in the icebox for at least a couple weeks. CPC and long-range models suggest cold weather like this through about the third week of Feb if not longer.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kphoger

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 04, 2021, 09:24:35 PM
Looks like the weather in these parts will stay in the icebox for at least a couple weeks. CPC and long-range models suggest cold weather like this through about the third week of Feb if not longer.

I generally dislike cold weather.  It's only once every four or five years that I actually look forward to the coming of winter.  Yesterday, my wife and the daycare kids and I were all out in front yard and driveway, in between my getting home from work and their parents coming to pick them up.  We were outside in our shirt sleeves, enjoying the gorgeous sunny weather–the kids drawing on the driveway with sidewalk chalk and playing tag.  And then I saw the thousands of itty-bitty little bugs flying all over the yard, and the flower shoots starting to poke up through the dead grass of the garden, and I thought to myself, Crap, if it doesn't get really cold before Spring, we're in for it!
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

Quote from: webny99 on February 04, 2021, 09:08:22 PM
And then there's the Dakotas, where sub-zero temperatures are not only common, but expected, and they're lucky if temps get above freezing once between spring and fall.

Meanwhile, around here a dozen freeze/thaws in a single month would be completely normal. Less than one a week (due to either extended warmth or extended cold) is rare enough to be a real conversation piece.

And then there's Houston, where the lowest temperature ever recorded is just 4 degrees Fahrenheit. The coldest it's been this winter was about 30, and the coldest I think it's been since I moved here is about 26 or so. The temperature keeps dropping in the forecast for next week, so Valentine's day may end up being the coldest day Houston's felt in a while. Fingers crossed that we get snow. More likely a wintry mess or a sloppy cold rain.

On another note, the coldest temperature I've experienced was about 13 or so in Memphis on New Year's 2018.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ET21

Coldest air in two years arrives today and lasts through much of next week. Several snow chances during the snap
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 09:14:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 27, 2021, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 12:53:24 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 23, 2021, 12:36:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2021, 11:55:10 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 19, 2021, 01:59:04 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 29, 2020, 12:25:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2020, 02:31:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 20, 2020, 10:41:17 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 16, 2020, 06:08:22 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 15, 2020, 08:01:02 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 09, 2020, 10:24:34 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2020, 10:46:10 AM
With our second snowfall arriving last night, we've tied you up at two.  :)
Third snowfall this morning; around an inch or so and still falling... slowly...
Fourth snowfall this morning; just a dusting that hardly covered the grass, but still enough to create some very icy roads.
Fifth snowfall creating messy roads just in time for our afternoon commute. It's still coming down as of this post, but it's much worse further south. ...
Woke up to snowfall #6 this morning, a sloppy inch or so thanks to temps hovering right around freezing.
We got our seventh snowfall last night; it was just a dusting, but areas downwind of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario got a lot more.
Snowfall #8 should ensure there's snow on the ground for New Year's. We got a good 3-4 inches last night and more is falling now.
It's been a remarkably snow-free January so far, but back-to-back morning snowfalls have brought our season total up to 10.
Another half-inch or so this morning, still swirling around with gusty winds.
Yet another dusting yesterday morning, and now, finally, some more substantial snowfall yesterday afternoon/evening and into this morning. There's probably about 4-5 inches on the ground, easily the most we've had all year.
And now today, finally some sustained daytime snowfall for the first time this year!
Another dusting last night brought our current snow depth well over 6 inches, and with frigid temps in store for at least a week, I'd set the over/under for when we'll see grass again at about Feb. 18th.

More snow today, a lot more. There's over a foot on the ground now and it's still coming. Supposedly, it's the after-effects of the nor'easter that just hit the East Coast, but no doubt enhanced by the lake effect since it was mostly "north of the Thruway" all day, but looks to have now spread to most of Western and Central NY.  The weather.gov forecast jumped from predicting 4-6 inches this morning to now predicting 7-11 inches.

Windy (but partly sunny) today after another inch or so of snow blew in off Lake Erie last night.

NWI_Irish96

-5 degrees with -20 wind chill
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CoreySamson

Today was a perfect day in terms of weather: sunny, crisp, and a high of around 60. Update on the possible snow next week: it's looking more and more unlikely. The two possibilities for the weather late next week are:
1. Rain then sun with highs in the 50s
or
2. Freezing rain and/or sleet with highs in the 30s

I personally hope for scenario #2.

My Route Log
My Clinches

kphoger

Nice and white.  We had light snow Saturday morning, and it's still around thanks to the low temps.  Some freezing drizzle and freezing flurries have kept the white frosting on everything fresh.

Roads are decent here, although traffic is still driving cautiously.  It's a granular texture, not a slick surface.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I'm keeping the driveway shoveled--I did it yesterday (18° F), and will do it today (12° F).  There are currently no days in the forecast for the coming week with temperatures above freezing; the highest predicted high is 21° F this Thursday, February 11.

This is an excellent time to be running synthetic motor oil and ATF and to have car batteries sitting on maintainers.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US 89

We had sleet mix in with rain in Atlanta on Saturday, and flurries were also seen in several locations around the metro. No impacts inside the perimeter, but snow was even sticking to roads in the far northeast metro which prompted a winter weather advisory for as far down as Gwinnett and Forsyth Counties.

Should get some rain and maybe a few rumbles of thunder later this week, though probably just isolated and nothing close to severe levels. It's still unclear how much of this upcoming arctic blast will make it down into Georgia this weekend and early next week, but that and then the possibility of a winter precip event early next week bear watching.

jp the roadgeek

It's starting to sound like that Family Guy cartoon where they enter the witness protection program and end up in that southern town and Stewie is sitting there on the porch with a straw hanging from his lips tuning a banjo:

Snow today
Snow yesterday
Even more snow today.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CoreySamson

Today was a balmy 70 and cloudy, but the forecast for next week has shifted. Now there's a small chance of snow the day after Valentine's day, and it'll be really cold for most of the weekend. Highs might not get out of the 40s.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

Winter Storm Watch for Tacoma and some areas of Western Washington.

Easily the most snow this season, even if we only get an inch lol.

https://twitter.com/MorganKIRO7/status/1359283291879260161

Ben114

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 08, 2021, 10:36:20 PM
It's starting to sound like that Family Guy cartoon where they enter the witness protection program and end up in that southern town and Stewie is sitting there on the porch with a straw hanging from his lips tuning a banjo:

Snow today
Snow yesterday
Even more snow today.
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 09, 2021, 08:15:36 PM
Snowing Again
Quote from: 1 on February 09, 2021, 08:19:43 PM
Anagram time!

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 09, 2021, 08:15:36 PM
I sang in a gown

As everyone else in the area has mentioned, snow is outside. In the last two weeks, 30 - 36 inches fell at my house.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

STLmapboy

Cloudy, light wind, some snow possible (20%) tonight but nothing right now. We've got about an inch on the ground right now.

Cloudy with 20-30% chance of snow is the forecast for the next week. Of note is the temperature Saturday; a low of -3.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CoreySamson

Today is cloudy again with a high around 70. The chance for snow keeps going up for President's Day, and the temperature keeps going down. Current projection is 21F with as wind chill of 13  :-o I don't think it's been that cold here in ages.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.