News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2021, 09:53:26 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 14, 2021, 10:01:49 PM
Quote from: Bruce on April 14, 2021, 08:29:09 PM
Creeping up towards the 70s here and I'm not liking it one bit.

Meh. I'm finally getting a tan and the days aren't twelve minutes long. I'm loving this.

Meanwhile, I almost had to laugh at the though of getting a tan in April in the Northeast. It's rainy season here - we've had rain four of the past five days!

It's been at least a week since a totally cloudy and/or rainy day. It's well deserved, honestly, as we just get so few sunny days between October and March. Vitamin D deficiency during fall and winter is real, and too often ignored by locals around here.

Usually Spring and Summer in the Pacific Northwest are quite sunny, contrary to popular belief. Still rains, but more sun. Summer is actually very dry and is the cause for rather frequent brush fires especially in freeway medians.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on April 15, 2021, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2021, 09:53:26 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 14, 2021, 10:01:49 PM
Quote from: Bruce on April 14, 2021, 08:29:09 PM
Creeping up towards the 70s here and I'm not liking it one bit.

Meh. I'm finally getting a tan and the days aren't twelve minutes long. I'm loving this.

Meanwhile, I almost had to laugh at the though of getting a tan in April in the Northeast. It's rainy season here - we've had rain four of the past five days!

It's been at least a week since a totally cloudy and/or rainy day. It's well deserved, honestly, as we just get so few sunny days between October and March. Vitamin D deficiency during fall and winter is real, and too often ignored by locals around here.

Usually Spring and Summer in the Pacific Northwest are quite sunny, contrary to popular belief. Still rains, but more sun. Summer is actually very dry and is the cause for rather frequent brush fires especially in freeway medians.

Yes, and of course, rain vs. sun is only part of the equation: even if it's sunny, it's not too easy to get a sun tan when it's still cold enough for a coat and gloves, as it is here today. 39 degrees and raining - blech.

Summers are usually great here too, but the difference is that springs can be rainy, especially early spring. Usually less so once we get to May/June, which usually have the best weather along with September/October.

Bruce

It hit 80 degrees in some inland suburbs today, and it's going to get even hotter tomorrow.

I might bite the bullet this year and just get an AC unit for my bedroom.

Roadgeekteen

I'm in the Berkshires right now, it was in the 40s and cloudy.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CoreySamson

Unseasonably cold for mid-April. Usually the high this time of year is about 75-80 degrees, but today the high was just 61 degrees. The wind was also blowing pretty hard, especially this morning, making it seem much colder than the 52 degrees it was at 0900.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

50s and partly cloudy in the Berkshires.

Roadgeekteen

I was in New Jersey and New York yesterday, it was mostly cloudy with some rain.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2020, 11:34:49 AM

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2020, 09:04:08 AM

Snow this early in the year is unusual for Wichita.  The first snowfall is often in December, sometimes even January or February.  Out where I grew up in northwestern Kansas, snow in October was more normal because, even though it was kind of in the rain shadow of the Rockies, some mountain snowstorms strong enough to make it past the front range were also strong enough to make it past the state line as well.  Here in the southeastern part of the state, though, snow in October is unusual.

The highways were slick as I was coming to work, and the some of the clearest spots were actually the worst:  ice instead of snow to drive on.

Well, I just found out that this October snow is even more unusual than I realized.  Wichita broke the record for snowfall on October 26, which had previously been only 0.5 inches.  Any snowfall today automatically breaks the record for October 27, because there has never been any recorded snowfall on this date in Wichita.  We also broke the record for lowest high temp and lowest low temp yesterday.

A strange year for weather around here.  Not only was our first snowfall unusually early in the season, but here we are in the middle of April and it's currently snowing.  I'm certainly not used to brushing snow off the car before work this late in the year.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

I do not like what I'm seeing outside my window.... late season snow  :no:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JayhawkCO

Looks like you guys are getting what we got last night.  Looks like only about 3" at my house, but the roads were pretty icy last night (which is relatively rare for here given our winter weather possibilities).

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Back in Needham, 70s and sunny.

JoePCool14

Reporting from Platteville, WI, we had a very small amount of snow flurries this morning. Current temperature is 39 degrees.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ozarkman417

This Instagram post from MoDOT's Southwest District sums up the difference in weather conditions of much of the state between yesterday and today:

Photo taken on US 63 a few feet to the north of the MO/AR border. It was too warm for mass accumulations, but it did drop below freezing for a bit, allowing for an 1/2-1" or so to be on the ground for a while.

tolbs17

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2021, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 30, 2021, 10:34:30 AM
We're breaking records in the opposite direction: 2020 and 2021 battling it out for the least snowiest March on record, and it's not even close after those two. I mean, they're extreme outliers from everything else in recent history. This March has been more spring-like than the average April.

There couldn't be a more classic set up for a blizzard to drop three feet of snow come mid-May.

The classic set up continues, with April now posing as May. We've reached the point where it actually is starting to look like spring, but I still won't be fooled into thinking nice weather is here for good.

Called it! Snow today - it is snowing now, in fact. Not sticking to the roads much fortunately, but there is about an inch on the ground. Kind of a weird dynamic with most everything in full bloom.

Roadgeekteen

Upper 60s and partly cloudy, with some rain in the forecast.

US 89

Here in Atlanta, the past week or so has been nice with highs in the low to mid 70s, but a cold front moved through last night and brought an end to that for now. Today's high is only 57, and it will feel colder than that thanks to some decently strong post-frontal winds. Wind advisory is in effect for today, along with a fire danger statement since humidities will be on the low side this afternoon. Would not be surprised to see a frost advisory for tonight since growing seasons have started and temps will be in the mid 30s.

After that, it will warm back up a bit and then we're looking at a pretty good strength storm for the Friday night and Saturday time frame. There will probably be at least some sort of severe thunderstorm threat, though we may be on the fringes of that as the better instability will probably stay further south over central and south GA. What appears more certain is that we will see lots of rain. I'll probably have to cancel my scheduled hike for Saturday.

Bruce

A week straight of 70+ days (with a few spilling over into the 80s) and not much clouds until yesterday. Our false spring is almost over, thankfully...

Also a few dozen wildfires, in April, which does not bode well for our summer season. I'm stocking up on N95s.

Roadgeekteen

The rain forecasted has turned into a thunderstorm.

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

JayhawkCO

Snowed on three different days earlier this week but up to 60 today and 75 by Sunday.  I think maybe now we're done with snow for the season?

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 05:24:54 PM
Snowed on three different days earlier this week but up to 60 today and 75 by Sunday.  I think maybe now we're done with snow for the season?

I once knew a man who lived in Estes Park for 19 months.  He said it snowed at least once every single month he lived there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 20, 2021, 06:40:31 PM
This Instagram post from MoDOT's Southwest District sums up the difference in weather conditions of much of the state between yesterday and today:

Is this the first documented instance of a DOT memeing?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.