News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgb191

Our typical winter roller coaster ride is being amplified, literally speaking.  Today our highs were fairly warm in the 80s and 90s, but a week from now after the cold blast, our temperatures will fall way short of 60 degrees, and many won't even make it to 50 degrees, and overnight freezing temperatures are expected.

ACTUAL                              AVERAGE

BROWNSVILLE:        90 high; 62 low                    72 high; 54 low
CORPUS CHRISTI:    87 high; 57 low                    68 high; 51 low
LAREDO:                 89 high; 56 low                    67 high; 48 low
MCALLEN:               92 high; 63 low                    73 high; 52 low

Heat Index was in the 90s today all across South Texas, with McAllen topping just a couple of degrees short of triple-digits.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

Cloudy and 16. Waiting for the deluge of rain to melt the rest of the snow.

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on January 08, 2024, 08:36:43 PM
Supposedly, we're to have apocalyptic flooding in Maryland tomorrow.

Sounds like they may have been right...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

The windstorm that was supposed to start at 1 p.m. was still overhyped by 10 p.m.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

jakeroot

Very gusty this evening in Okinawa. Hard to estimate exactly, but I'd guess over 50 mph. Serious wind-chill with it, feels like around 50 to 55.

Windy again tomorrow, highs into the upper 60s.

Warmer next week, 70s to near 80 and pretty sunny! Looking forward to it.

Dough4872

JayhawkCO

The forecasted high here on Monday is 6. The forecasted high two days later is 50. Colorado is weird.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 11, 2024, 05:18:32 PM
The forecasted high here on Monday is 6. The forecasted high two days later is 50. Colorado is weird.

I used to get a lot of that weirdness when I was growing up in northwestern Kansas.  A lot of your weather made it over there.  I have a distinct memory of playing competitive Frisbee with my dad up at the high school football field, on Christmas Day, in short sleeves, in 60°F sunny weather, with a half-foot of snow on the ground.

For what it's worth, Wichita's forecast high for Monday is also 6°F, but two days later is only 34°F.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

I think the scientific term for the current temperature here is "shit". At least it's not a snowstorm.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

The temperature and the wind speed being the same is extremely stupid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hunty2022

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

7/8

Currently cloudy and -2C (29F) with a predicted high of 3C (38F) around 4am.

Winter storm warning in my area, not great timing for my parents' flight out of Kitchener (YKF) this evening.
QuoteWinter storm expected this evening to Saturday morning.

Hazards: Heavy snowfall with total accumulations of 10 to 25 cm. Peak snowfall rates of 3 to 5 cm per hour. Strong wind gusts resulting in significantly reduced visibility in blowing snow.

Timing: This evening to Saturday morning.

Discussion: Snow is forecast to begin late this afternoon and will quickly become heavy at times, before transitioning to periods of rain tonight as temperatures rise above freezing. Strong southeasterly winds gusting up to 70 km/h will combine with this heavy snow to cause significantly reduced visibility at times.

In the wake of this system, much colder Arctic air will become established across the region. A multi-day lake effect snow event is expected for locations east of the Great Lakes bringing additional snowfall accumulations to some communities.

Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Visibility will be suddenly reduced to near zero at times in heavy snow and blowing snow.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

Billy F 1988

It's brutal in Missoula. -10 with around -20 to -25 wind chills. The forecast wind chills are closing in on 50 to 60 below zero through Saturday. But if anyone is east of the divide, maybe as close to 70 below. There's also an Avalanche Warning for a portion of Northwestern Montana backcountry areas due to that storm front passing by yesterday. I tell 'ya, there was period of about 15 minutes or so while I was working at my grocery store in Missoula where I couldn't see basically past the fuel station in the parking lot. Couldn't even see downtown Missoula! It was that blinding. Then, just as soon as that passes, it clears up. It's been a topsy turvy 24 hours, and now it's cold enough to where you can pretty easily freeze a pop can outdoors.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on January 12, 2024, 09:48:12 AM
Currently cloudy and -2C (29F) with a predicted high of 3C (38F) around 4am.

Winter storm warning in my area, not great timing for my parents' flight out of Kitchener (YKF) this evening.
QuoteWinter storm expected this evening to Saturday morning.

Hazards: Heavy snowfall with total accumulations of 10 to 25 cm. Peak snowfall rates of 3 to 5 cm per hour. Strong wind gusts resulting in significantly reduced visibility in blowing snow.

Timing: This evening to Saturday morning.

Discussion: Snow is forecast to begin late this afternoon and will quickly become heavy at times, before transitioning to periods of rain tonight as temperatures rise above freezing. Strong southeasterly winds gusting up to 70 km/h will combine with this heavy snow to cause significantly reduced visibility at times.

Meanwhile, south (east) of the border we may get nothing but rain until the cold front moves in on Saturday night.

There's currently a wind warning in effect through Sunday morning, but no storm warning.

elsmere241

Currently at least part of every U.S. state (yes, including Hawaii) is under some kind of warning.  Here in northern Delaware, it looks like we will get tonight and tomorrow a repeat of what we got earlier this week: lots of rain and lots of wind.  (And a couple of inches of snow on Tuesday.)

Molandfreak

Meteorologists cried wolf for a major snowstorm here, and at least 3 school districts closed for the day. When all was said and done, there was only about 1/4" of snow.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 12, 2024, 12:54:40 PM
Meteorologists cried wolf for a major snowstorm here, and at least 3 school districts closed for the day. When all was said and done, there was only about 1/4" of snow.

Where is here?

NWI_Irish96

In Northwest Indiana, we've had about 4 inches of snow. The snow has changed over to rain, but changing back to snow later.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

When I woke up, it was 9°F with 20–30mph winds.  When I got out of the shower, I heard a man yelling/moaning outside.  I couldn't find him at first when looking out the window, but my wife spotted him lying down in the neighbor's yard.  By the time I got dressed and made it outside, he was stumbling down the block, and I saw that he was wearing short sleeves.  So I grabbed an extra jacket to give him, and caught up with him down the block.  He was clearly under the influence of something, not even in a right enough mind to comprehend putting a jacket on, so I got him back to the house to warm up, then in my car to take him . . . where?  The police stations weren't open yet, and the address he gave me was eight miles away—far enough away that I don't know he could have walked that far in this weather in his state and survived.  So I drove to the downtown police station, called 9-1-1, and had dispatch send me a couple of officers.  He had konked out in the backseat, and it took quite some doing to get him to respond.  There was likely more in his system than just a lot of alcohol, considering how unresponsive he was and some of the movements he was making.

The police officers told me I shouldn't have given him a ride, or especially let him warm up in my house first, but—geeez, he's a human being, and I wasn't about to leave him outside in 9°F wind in short sleeves!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Molandfreak

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 12, 2024, 01:00:03 PM

Where is here?
Southern MN
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

roadman65

Florida, or at least my part of the state, has been unseasonably colder this year. Highs around only 72, but most of the time it seems like 63 it only peaks during the day.

This large system blanketing the eastern seaboard with snow  is mostly to blame this week anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 12, 2024, 01:59:47 PM

Where is here?
Southern MN

Where at specifically? I grew up in the Cities but have family all over Lake City, Zumbro Falls, Wabasha, etc.

Molandfreak

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 12, 2024, 02:20:50 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on January 12, 2024, 01:59:47 PM

Where is here?
Southern MN

Where at specifically? I grew up in the Cities but have family all over Lake City, Zumbro Falls, Wabasha, etc.
Northfield. The districts that I know have closed are Goodhue, Zumbrota-Mazeppa, and Lake City, where I'm sure the situation isn't very different.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.