News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterRoadgeek

Signs I bought at bulk at a garage sale

Scott5114

Interesting. Those look...small. I'm guessing maybe they were posted on a bike trail or something like that?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Not quite faded beyond recognition CA 35 shield:

https://flic.kr/p/2nBPpUL

I wasn't passing up something from the non-Alanland variant of the Goat Trail.

jmp367

My most recent acquisition, a 1935 specification N.Y. state route marker.

ClassicHasClass

Max Rockatansky

Fresh delivery, Interstate 880 (presumably the Nimitz Freeway):

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

chrisdiaz

Not posting for safety reasons, but when Hurricane Ian blew through my area, it blew the street sign off of the top of the stop sign at my nearest cross road. Now I have a county-made street sign of the street that I live on hanging up in my room :-D (for legal reasons this is a joke)

Rothman

Quote from: chrisdiaz on October 07, 2022, 10:22:43 AM
Not posting for safety reasons, but when Hurricane Ian blew through my area, it blew the street sign off of the top of the stop sign at my nearest cross road. Now I have a county-made street sign of the street that I live on hanging up in my room :-D (for legal reasons this is a joke)
Joking like this doesn't make you immune from the crime of stealing a sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

I have to admit I was tempted to make off with some local twisted street signs that landed about 100 feet from my house after a hurricane, but decided against it amongst other necessities at the time.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on October 07, 2022, 10:27:30 AM

I have to admit I was tempted to make off with some local street signs that landed about 100 from my house after a hurricane, but decided against it amongst other necessities at the time.
Heh...like getting to safety in a hurricane?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on October 07, 2022, 10:28:10 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 07, 2022, 10:27:30 AM

I have to admit I was tempted to make off with some local street signs that landed about 100 from my house after a hurricane, but decided against it amongst other necessities at the time.
Heh...like getting to safety in a hurricane?

I'm not a weather expert but I'm obviously talking about post-storm cleanup.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on October 07, 2022, 10:25:57 AM

If a street sign is blown off its mounting and somehow lands in your yard, what should you do? Take it, or report it to the jurisdiction that it belongs to?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

I doubt anyone is going to running around for a missing street blade that happened to land in a yard.  I'm fairly certain a significant portion of my Florida signs have come from storm damage of some kind. 

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2022, 11:26:16 AM
I doubt anyone is going to running around for a missing street blade that happened to land in a yard.  I'm fairly certain a significant portion of my Florida signs have come from storm damage of some kind. 

I'm also pretty sure that most of the signs that have been blown down in a storm aren't suitable for reinstallation anyway.

One thing I've learned from the tornadoes we get here is that street signage is a top priority following a big storm like an EF5 tornado. At the level of destruction a large storm wreaks, it becomes practically impossible to find any particular street or lot because all of the landmarks used for navigation (like house numbers or distinctive manmade structures) have been wiped clean. That makes recovery efforts like directing cleanup contractors or insurance adjusters to any given lot more difficult, so replacing street signage is one of the first parts of the cleanup procedure. When the big tornado hit Moore OK in 2013, the city of Norman quickly ran off a bunch of signs to Norman spec and installed them extrajurisdictionally just to give Moore a leg up on recovery.

I can't imagine a road agency in that situation would take the time to inventory all of the signs that are missing, canvass the area to look for any signs that might be recoverable, and take the time to get them in an acceptable state for reinstallation (unbending them, reinforcing damaged bolt holes, etc.). Maybe if it's just a post that's knocked over and just needs to be propped back up, but a missing blade could end up several miles away from where it started. Not really worth the time or money to go on a manhunt for them when the pressing need is to have something on a post for people to orient themselves with.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 07, 2022, 11:18:40 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 07, 2022, 10:25:57 AM

If a street sign is blown off its mounting and somehow lands in your yard, what should you do? Take it, or report it to the jurisdiction that it belongs to?
Just saying in general that "I stole this! (j/k)" doesn't work the legal magic stated.

Max Rockatansky

Out of curiosity does anyone even know of an actual case where someone was prosecuted for stealing signage as collectibles?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2022, 11:39:33 PMOut of curiosity does anyone even know of an actual case where someone was prosecuted for stealing signage as collectibles?

I haven't come across a report of a court case, but this Quora thread has a post from someone identifying himself as a "criminal investigator" who claims to have busted a bunch of spring breakers for stealing more than $1000 worth of signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2022, 11:39:33 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone even know of an actual case where someone was prosecuted for stealing signage as collectibles?

It wouldn't surprise me. It's not so much like the people on this forum that would do that (I hope), but more so college or high school kids. There were numerous guide signs missing from Platteville over the couple years I was there. I think their policy was to only replace them once per semester or so. So once they were gone, that intersection just had no guide signs. Not ideal, but understandable.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 08, 2022, 05:08:03 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. It's not so much like the people on this forum that would do that (I hope), but more so college or high school kids. There were numerous guide signs missing from Platteville over the couple years I was there. I think their policy was to only replace them once per semester or so. So once they were gone, that intersection just had no guide signs. Not ideal, but understandable.

I wouldn't be so sure, I've found that sign theft in the road community is way more common than a lot of us would probably like to believe.  Locally I tend to notice when certain desirable signs all of the sudden disappear and end up on eBay or a gas/oil show for inflated prices.

Big John

Especially Virgin Ave. in a college town.

cjk374

Quote from: Big John on October 08, 2022, 05:28:49 PM

Stoner Ave., Centenary College, Shreveport, LA.

2198 Market St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ku1EHMjKdkvragHR6
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

JoePCool14

:nod:

I'm assuming you've been to Platteville.

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 10, 2022, 02:54:53 PM

:nod:

I'm assuming you've been to Platteville.
yes

chrisdiaz

I didn't realize my post would've stirred up this much talking. My dad remounted whatever he could for the street sign, and it was mangled from the hurricane force winds.

US71

Quote from: chrisdiaz on October 12, 2022, 10:25:14 AM
I didn't realize my post would've stirred up this much talking. My dad remounted whatever he could for the street sign, and it was mangled from the hurricane force winds.

Slow week ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.