Wildfires threaten thousands of homes in Southern California

Started by bing101, December 05, 2017, 09:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

Had to cancel a trip to Los Angeles this weekend since I-5 seems to be getting closed from the smoke.  Weird to see fires this bad so late in the year.

bing101

Hurricane Rex

It sounds like fire weather will continue as long as this high pressure ridge is in place (about 7-10 days). I truly wish the very best for them.

Running till I die.

bing101

adventurernumber1

This is absolutely insane.  :no:

I truly hope that the people affected by this will recover easily and quickly.

I first heard of this last night, when my mother showed me a video of fire all over the place right off of Interstate 405 in California. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi067FajpRY

I don't think I have ever seen a sight like this in my entire life - to have such enormous, extensive, and bright fire so close to such a huge and significant highway - it literally looks like the "Highway to Hell." This is crazy!  :wow:  :-o  :crazy:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

bing101

Hurricane Rex

Running till I die.

Brian556

When covering this the other day, the Weather Channel was talking about how the high pressure ridge is getting stuck in place for long periods of time, which causes this, and how it could be caused by climate change

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Brian556 on December 07, 2017, 09:12:27 PM
When covering this the other day, the Weather Channel was talking about how the high pressure ridge is getting stuck in place for long periods of time, which causes this, and how it could be caused by climate change

Although it is unusually long for this to happen, this pattern isn't unusual for December. Just the length is. We are getting the same high pressure ridge here in Oregon and models are showing rain returning on the 16th of 17th. Long range forcast are not often picking it up though.

Quote from: Mark Nelsen, Fox 12 chief meteorologist and head of fox 12 weather blog
this a rare event?  Yes and no.  I've gone back and looked over the records.  Let's assume we go 10 days without rain (a relatively big assumption at this point).  That has only happened in 7 Decembers out of around 80 years of records at PDX.  We had 11 consecutive dry days in 2009, and 14 in 2005 and 12 in 1989.  All 3 were followed by great skiing the 2nd part of winter.  It also happened in 1993 and 1980, those two weren't very good snow seasons in the Cascades.
Those three events were on a similar pattern.

Running till I die.

bing101

Brandon

Doesn't this, like, happen to California every year though?  I don't remember a single year going by without some part of California catching on fire.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Brandon on December 08, 2017, 04:34:07 PM

Doesn't this, like, happen to California every year though?  I don't remember a single year going by without some part of California catching on fire.

Wildfire season to us is like hurricane season in the Atlantic. Fires happen but they don't affect a city every year,just like a hurricane happens every year but doesn't make landfall every year.

Running till I die.

kkt

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 08, 2017, 05:42:11 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 08, 2017, 04:34:07 PM

Wildfire season to us is like hurricane season in the Atlantic. Fires happen but they don't affect a city every year,just like a hurricane happens every year but doesn't make landfall every year.

Wildfires in cities are an unusual thing.  Usually there's less fuel load in cities as streets, roofs, etc. are fire resistant.  Plus the highways make it easy to get firefighters there in a hurry.

The wet spring last year has increased the fuel load and made dangerous fire conditions, from Marin County to SoCal.

I am surprised CHP didn't close the highway before the fire got as close as in the clip.  A thrown spark into a car could make the whole road into an inferno.

bing101

Hurricane Rex

Looks like the winds aren't dying like expected, dangerous fire conditions will continue for the next couple of days.  :-(

Running till I die.

bing101

Hurricane Rex

Does anyone know when these fires are supposed to be contained?

Running till I die.

kkt

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 18, 2017, 01:45:59 AM
Does anyone know when these fires are supposed to be contained?

NPR this morning quoted fire officials as saying probably not for about three weeks :(
Heck of a Christmas for the firefighters.

Hurricane Rex

Fire is now 3rd largest in California history, according to NBC nightly news.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.