News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What do you like on your taskbar?

Started by JoePCool14, April 28, 2021, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

I personally keep it short and sweet. I have File Explorer, Microsoft To-Do for keeping track of homework, Snip and Sketch, and the Brave Browser. Previously I've also had Minecraft, OneNote, iTunes, and the Timer.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

webny99

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 28, 2021, 10:12:45 AM
I personally keep it short and sweet.

Same here. Just File Explorer, Chrome, Outlook, Word, and Excel.

And I probably don't even need the last two, since I usually create new Word and Excel documents directly from the folder I want them in.

Roadgeekteen

Chrome is all I need, the other apps on my taskbar I don't really use.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Max Rockatansky

Whatever browser I'm using.  Maybe snipping tool and whatever applicable image folder if I'm working on updating a page.

Scott5114

The taskbar or the system tray? On Linux/KDE they're considered two separate things, and then you also have the clock, and the application launcher button. All of them make up what's called the panel and can be arranged or removed as desired. You can also add other small widgets if you like.

I have, from left to right: application launcher (K-menu), virtual desktop selector (configured to allow me to choose between 4 desktops, though I usually only use #1 and #2), taskbar (normally the programs I have open are Discord, Firefox, and Kate [text editor]), system tray, system load graph (CPU, memory usage, swap space usage), and clock/date (in ISO format, but with the day of week added because during the pandemic I have been frequently forgetting what day of week it is).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-55

Chrome, File Explorer, Snipping Tool, Calculator, MS Word, PPT, Excel, Outlook
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

In_Correct

The System Tray is crammed full as well.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

kphoger

Here's my taskbar at work:

File Folder (usually opened to the Downloads folder)
Microsoft Outlook (all work e-mails)
Firefox browser (payroll and in-house billing programs)
Chrome browser (tech monitoring program in regular window and non-work stuff in Incognito)
Internet Explorer browser (MSO invoicing program)
Microsoft Excel (most of what I actually do at work is done with Excel)
VIP Access two-factor token (for MSO VPN access)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Here's what it looks like currently:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

For work, I have:

Chrome
Documents Folder
Outlook
Teams
Spotify
Excel
RoyalTS (database software)

I used to have the snipping tool too, but I realized you can do it with Shift-Windows-S, so now I don't need to have it down there)

Chris

JoePCool14

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 04, 2021, 12:08:26 PM
I used to have the snipping tool too, but I realized you can do it with Shift-Windows-S, so now I don't need to have it down there)

I actually have my PrtScn button open Snip and Sketch. And yet I just now realized I still have it pinned on my taskbar...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

J N Winkler

On Windows 7, I had nothing in my taskbar--I used the "most frequently used programs" pane under the Start menu to launch programs, usually Firefox, Acrobat, and Thunderbird.

I've recently had to upgrade to an Acer Predator and Windows 10 since the Windows 7 machine, a 10-year-old Asus ROG, was having frequent BugCheck 7A and B4 BSODs that prompted me to suspect the hard disk was about to fail.  I'm still migrating and haven't gotten around to organizing the taskbar, so it still has TaskView, Edge, and File Explorer.  I've realized I can't organize the Start Menu the same way I did on Windows 7 because Windows Store apps cannot be moved off it, so I suspect I may pin Firefox and Thunderbird to the taskbar and unpin everything else.  I typically launch my most heavily used applications by other means:  File Explorer by shortcut (WinKey+E), PowerShell/command prompt by right-click context menu, PDF viewers by double-clicking on the filename in Explorer, Notepad++ through right-click or a diary manager script, and so on.

I've been frustrated to discover that while Windows 10 still supports key combinations to launch programs that have shortcuts on the Desktop, invoking them triggers the UAC prompt unless it has been disabled.  There used to be a workaround--define a scheduled task for the program and set it to execute with highest privileges (to bypass UAC), and make that rather than the program itself the target of the launch shortcut--but it hasn't worked for me and I suspect Microsoft has removed it from recent updates of Windows 10.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

doorknob60

Firefox, File Manager, and Terminal (I use Linux and use the terminal somewhat often).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.