Dumbest thing you've ever done while driving

Started by index, May 11, 2021, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Earlier on when I had first started driving, still on my learner's permit in 2018, somebody refused to let me in, so I forced my way in. In hindsight, that was obviously not a smart decision. I could've easily been looking at an accident that was my fault. My father was probably angrier than the person who I'd ticked off by doing that.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

Not paying attention and driving a front wheel drive sub-compact car onto a beach with soft sand. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Tried to needlessly maneuver into a parking space bound on one side by a planter and scraped the car in the next space. Took a month and a half to finally get the lady to file her claim because taking care of that sort of minor paint damage wasn't on her priority list.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Slid around a bend on a mud road and ended up halfway in a ditch.  Guy driving a pickup in the other direction (lucky it wasn't a head-on) helped me get out of it (1981 Honda Civic hatchback).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

kphoger

OK, I thought of a few non-dirty things.

1.  Back in high school, I like to drive REALLY fast.  I once drove the 27 miles from Colby to Atwood (KS) at 110 mph.  In the dark.  In the fog.  On the left side of the road.  Just for fun.

2.  I also used to like taking curves on gravel roads as fast as possible.  While driving with a foreign exchange student in the car, I completely lost traction, spun nearly two full circles in the middle of the gravel road, and came to rest just a few feet from one of those white-and-yellow gas line thingy deals.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

One of the first times I drove, I misjudged the yellow light and blew through the red.  Right in front of the police station.  Fortunately the only authority figure that saw it was my father in the passenger seat.

kphoger

I once proposed to my girlfriend while sitting in the passenger seat of her car.  She turned me down, then drove me a little bit further down the parking lot.  Being really upset by the experience, I then got out of the car.  Except she hadn't stopped yet.

Note this, kids:  don't get out of a moving vehicle.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2021, 04:40:14 PM
I once proposed to my girlfriend while sitting in the passenger seat of her car.  She turned me down, then drove me a little bit further down the parking lot.  Being really upset by the experience, I then got out of the car.  Except she hadn't stopped yet.

Note this, kids:  don't get out of a moving vehicle.
Did she then say yes?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

The dumbest two things to which I will admit were both while driving golf carts.

First was attempting to turn a donut while driving a golf cart on a gravel parking lot. With my mom in the passenger's seat. The cart almost tipped over. Not a good move.

Second was attempting to jump a creek in a golf cart, Dukes of Hazzard style, to go retrieve a ball I had shanked off to the right. Dumb move. Golf carts don't handle like the General Lee. They had to bring a pickup with a chain to tow me out of the creek. Good thing it was at the Reunions golf tournament at a course owned by the University of Virginia–I was neither kicked off the course nor banned from the property. I will add that I had not consumed any alcoholic beverages until AFTER this incident occurred.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Ooh! non-car stories?  I used to spin tight circles in a three-wheeled Komatsu electric forklift, then come out of the spin and lift one wheel off the ground.  That probably could have ended poorly...
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done while driving is making the decision to drive to the place where I've done my dumbest thing.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

I remember one time about 20 years ago I was driving around the city of Detroit which I know pretty well. I was over by Henry Ford Hospital made a turn onto Trumbull and ignored the 25 mile an hour speed limit and crashed into the curb at the end of the street at Holden Street not thinking that Trumbull makes a jog at Holden. The only damage I did was I got a flat tire so I just threw the spare tire on and waited until the morning and rolled over to Belle Tire in Royal Oak where I was living at the time and got a new tire.

OCGuy81

I made it home from college with the gas light on the whole time.  About 50 miles.  Gambled and won...that time.

Big John

Driving home from college in a blizzard.  The collage was closed and I couldn't afford a motel.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Would you ever say yes to someone who jumped out of a moving car after you declined to marry them?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

Tailgating other cars when the roads were wet.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ozarkman417

I considered making a thread like this, but that would mean I would have had to share the very dangerous maneuver I did, that, had a car come along while making it, I probably would not be here writing this. Even though I have only been driving for two years, I've done some pretty stupid shit in that time.

Here it is: After driving the "Glade Top Trail" in south-central Missouri, I take a right on MO 125 (north). After a while, I change my mind: Instead of driving north on a crooked 125 at night, I figured that if I drive west on US 160, I can make it to the US 65 expressway before dark. I attempt to use a driveway as a turn around, but I miss it. So, on a two-lane road, with hills blocking the line of sight of a potential oncoming car, I make a three point turn. On the highway.   

Rothman

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 11, 2021, 07:24:37 PM
I considered making a thread like this, but that would mean I would have had to share the very dangerous maneuver I did, that, had a car come along while making it, I probably would not be here writing this. Even though I have only been driving for two years, I've done some pretty stupid shit in that time.

Here it is: After driving the "Glade Top Trail" in south-central Missouri, I take a right on MO 125 (north). After a while, I change my mind: Instead of driving north on a crooked 125 at night, I figured that if I drive west on US 160, I can make it to the US 65 expressway before dark. I attempt to use a driveway as a turn around, but I miss it. So, on a two-lane road, with hills blocking the line of sight of a potential oncoming car, I make a three point turn. On the highway.
You lived on the edge.

Bruce

Once backed into a short wall that I couldn't see. $800 bumper repair and a lesson learned to be extremely cautious when backing up (until I can get a proper backup camera installed).

zachary_amaryllis

drove halfway to work before i realized i hadn't put pants on.

imagine my surprise when i reached into my lap to find my cigarette lighter...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on May 11, 2021, 10:38:12 PM
drove halfway to work before i realized i hadn't put pants on.

imagine my surprise when i reached into my lap to find my cigarette lighter...
Did you remember your underwear?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.