News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TV shows you watched to the end that everyone else stopped watching

Started by texaskdog, May 18, 2021, 02:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Simpsons thread made me think of this.

I watched Beverly Hills 90210 straight through to the end.  Watching the later episodes now realized how bad the decline was after season 4.

I just watched season 5 of the A-Team, though I didn't watch when it was on and it wasn't that bad.

Mork & Mindy, Welcome Back Kotter, two that had a huge ratings drop and I stayed with.

21 Jump Street season 5, the syndication season, I watched them all.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

zachary_amaryllis

adventure time.

say whatever you want about a 51 year old dude that watches cartoons. i've heard it all.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kevinb1994

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on May 18, 2021, 08:25:47 AM
adventure time.

say whatever you want about a 51 year old dude that watches cartoons. i've heard it all.
Yeah not a bad show. Did catch the finale.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

NWI_Irish96

There's a show on now called Manifest. My kids and I have watched every episode, but I don't know anybody else who watches it. My guess is that it isn't going to get another season and I'm sad.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

I watched Dallas to the end.  Although many thought ratings were good in the end, they slowly dropped after the 10th Season.  In its final season was the worst and it finally got cancelled.

I watched Laverne without Shirley until it ended with Carmine getting his big break in a back door pilot finale.

I watched Archie Bunkers Place to the end.

I somewhat watched Mork and Mindy in the end, as I know I did because I missed the finale where Mork and Mindy both ended up in a Time Vortex. I believe it had no resolution as it ended with both trapped in it.

Then Quantum Leap I watched to the end. Although I got into it in Season Four though, which was when ratings began to fall.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

OCGuy81

I watched the first 4 seasons of The Walking Dead, and rather enjoyed it. 

By about the 5th season, I tuned out.  It seemed to always be them coming upon another group of survivors, Rick pissing off the group of survivors, and his gang once again being ousted until they come upon another group.

I've heard it's still pretty good, so maybe I need to re-visit on Netflix.

Getting back on topic, I feel a lot of people stopped watching The Office after Steve Carrel left, but I watched, and enjoyed it, to the end.

roadman65

I remember watching Bewitched after Darrin number one left. Of course it was my parents who watched as I was between 5 and 7 when those seasons aired. Too young to remember Dick York.  I only found out about the original Darrin in syndication later on.  For a while Dick Sargent was the first Darrin to me.

Anyway I learned as an adult that the final three seasons bombed in ratings.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 18, 2021, 10:18:09 AM
There's a show on now called Manifest. My kids and I have watched every episode, but I don't know anybody else who watches it. My guess is that it isn't going to get another season and I'm sad.

Glad we finally have something in common.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/nbc-2020-21-season-ratings/

It's smack in the middle ratings/viewers-wise for NBC, and apparently does very well streaming so hopefully it'll stick around. I hope it does, considering the show has taken some bat-crap crazy turns the past few episodes.

Big John

Mr_Northside

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 18, 2021, 08:29:06 AM
The original Law & Order and House.

Did everyone really stop watching either of these?  I'm not denying there might have been some ratings declines, but was it that bad?

I kind of recall a lot of people being surprised that they abruptly cancelled the original Law & Order.  I think they made the decision after the last episode was shot (but not yet aired).   It may have not been a ratings powerhouse at that point, but I thought it was still pretty solid.

(And personally, I thought it was mostly hitting another creative high point with the re-arranged cast mostly starting in season 18 after what I thought was dip in story/"case" quality - I was pretty disappointed to see it canceled the way it was)

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Takumi

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 18, 2021, 10:18:09 AM
The problem is a lot of people (myself included) only know it as "that weird show that's on when you get ready to turn SVU on" .

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 18, 2021, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 18, 2021, 08:29:06 AM
The original Law & Order and House.

Did everyone really stop watching either of these?  I'm not denying there might have been some ratings declines, but was it that bad?

I kind of recall a lot of people being surprised that they abruptly cancelled the original Law & Order.  I think they made the decision after the last episode was shot (but not yet aired).   It may have not been a ratings powerhouse at that point, but I thought it was still pretty solid.

(And personally, I thought it was mostly hitting another creative high point with the re-arranged cast mostly starting in season 18 after what I thought was dip in story/"case" quality - I was pretty disappointed to see it canceled the way it was)

House's ratings began to really tank in about season 6 or so. It only barely got renewed for what turned out to be its last season, and its ratings were abysmal when Fox announced during that season that it was being canceled.

Law & Order was definitely watchable up until the end, but it was being overshadowed by SVU (and for good reason, SVU had and still has better plotlines and better acting), and Law & Order: Criminal Intent was more or less on life support as well and would be canceled the following year (which is a shame, Detective Goren was one of the best characters in the entire history of the franchise). The original series' ratings also never really recovered after Jerry Orbach left the series for Law & Order: Trial by Jury (which he was filming when he died, and only managed to complete two episodes) - even though the episode quality started getting better in the last few seasons, by the end it had worse ratings than House did when that show ended.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

OCGuy81

adventure time.

Very enjoyable show from the few that I've seen.  No judgment here!

roadman65

I know a lot of people didn't like the last season of The Nanny when Fran and Max became married due to their relationship now no longer love to hate, but love.  However, I liked it myself as Fran and Max always acted like husband and wife from Episode One, so why not make it official.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 19, 2021, 11:50:16 AM
adventure time.

Very enjoyable show from the few that I've seen.  No judgment here!
It's not very often that you will find something like that show that transcends generations. Some shows can be a product of their time.

GCrites

Quote from: texaskdog on May 18, 2021, 02:25:03 AM

I just watched season 5 of the A-Team, though I didn't watch when it was on and it wasn't that bad.

Oh boy, The Trial and after The Trial. I tuned out as a kid because it was more like a drama at that point. Didn't pick it up again until seeing it on cable in The Year 2000. I guess I was finally old enough for it.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

Law & Order plots were already stale by the end of the 90s.  How that show not only continued on but spawned a bunch of spinoffs is beyond me.
I always figured it's because that's the show old people were falling asleep to.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Skye

I don't know what counts as "everyone else stopped watching" but...
Law & Order
Supernatural
Heroes
Veronica Mars
The Gifted
Revolution

And one show that's still on, has had major dips in ratings, but I am still watching and still going to watch...
Batwoman

roadman65

Quote from: Skye on May 19, 2021, 09:20:35 PM
I don't know what counts as "everyone else stopped watching" but...
Law & Order
Supernatural
Heroes
Veronica Mars
The Gifted
Revolution

And one show that's still on, has had major dips in ratings, but I am still watching and still going to watch...
Batwoman

I think a lot had to do with Jerry Orbach leaving the show and then passing on.  His character of Lennie Briscoe is what kept the show alive.He was a well know stage and TV actor before Law & Order.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 19, 2021, 06:01:37 PM
Law & Order plots were already stale by the end of the 90s.  How that show not only continued on but spawned a bunch of spinoffs is beyond me.
I always figured it's because that's the show old people were falling asleep to.
They started making (some, not all) the backdrops based on current events, something SVU still does to this day.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.