News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

When do you not wear a wedding ring?

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 08, 2021, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

I pretty much never have. 6 years into marriage, my original gold ring slipped off my hand while swimming in a lake. Given the lake was about 30' deep, and due to the density of gold, that was gone before I could even react to it. Last 10 years I've had a titanium one that's sized a tad tighter. No issues.

andrepoiy

I had no idea what wedding rings until I came of age, due to the fact that I don't think my parents ever wore one.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 08, 2021, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 04:46:58 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on August 08, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
Makes sense.  I think I've only maybe gained five pounds since my wedding (thankfully).

Chris
Give it time.

I actually lost 18 pounds the first year and a half into our marriage.  One third of that was from training too much and the other two thirds was from what my Doctor termed an "unknown virus"  in December 2019.  My ring tends to slide around a lot nowadays as a result.
Give it time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 08, 2021, 05:30:31 PM
Makes sense.  I think I've only maybe gained five pounds since my wedding (thankfully).

Chris
Give it time.

My dad is 6' and peaked at 180 lbs.  I'm 6'4" and 185.  I think I'll probably be good minus my little bit of dad bod/beer belly.

Chris
Yeah, let's go with that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Having kids adds weight, especially around the ages of 2-5 when their eyes are wider than their stomachs, and the bank account is leaner than your physique.

Scott5114

I don't wear mine, both because of fear of losing it (not that it has much monetary value, only sentimental), and because of a psychological thing about it getting stuck on my finger and me being unable to take it off. Any time I've tried wearing it, it bothered me to the point that I took it off within a couple of hours. I keep it in the safe.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

I don't wear my wedding ring because I don't like wearing jewelry. Don't wear a college ring or a watch either. It's just not comfortable for me. My wife wears her diamond engagement ring but not the wedding band.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Jim

I generally put mine on any time I grab my wallet and keys to go somewhere, unless it's something like the gym, skiing, a beach, things like that.  Then it comes off when I put the wallet back on the nightstand.  I also remove it when cooking that involves handling raw meats or anything generally messy that would likely be requiring frequent hand washing.

I never wore any kind of jewelry before my wedding, and didn't think I'd wear the ring regularly, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

hbelkins

Mine stays on all the time unless I'm doing something when I think I might lose it, or it might get hung up in something and damage either it or my finger. (I know someone who was dunking a basketball and the ring somehow got caught on one of the hooks that attach the net to the rim; it was a quite painful ordeal). Sometimes if I'm traveling I will take it off and put it someplace secure so there's no danger of me losing it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 08, 2021, 09:07:06 PM
Mine stays on all the time unless I'm doing something when I think I might lose it, or it might get hung up in something and damage either it or my finger. (I know someone who was dunking a basketball and the ring somehow got caught on one of the hooks that attach the net to the rim; it was a quite painful ordeal). Sometimes if I'm traveling I will take it off and put it someplace secure so there's no danger of me losing it.
You can dunk?

qguy

I take it off if I'm doing something that may have a snag danger, but that's extremely rare. Haven't in many years.

When I was in the Air Force, I would pocket my ring whenever I was working in or around aircraft. It was SOP. Saw enough bloody pictures of detached digits. Once in a while some guy would be reluctant to remove his ring and a loadmaster would ask him what his wife would mind more, him taking his wedding band off or him risking taking his finger off.

When I was in college, I had a friend who actually had is ring finger ripped out of its socket when his ring snagged on a protruding nail on a sashless window frame in an interior wall when he jumped through the opening. Unfortunately, the attempt to surgically re-attach the finger was unsuccessful. That was in 1983 and it still gives me the willies thinking about it.

WillWeaverRVA

I generally wear my wedding ring 24/7, though I do take it off in messy situations (like working with raw meat before cooking/grilling, etc).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 06:23:29 PM

Chris
Give it time.

My dad is 6' and peaked at 180 lbs.  I'm 6'4" and 185.  I think I'll probably be good minus my little bit of dad bod/beer belly.

Chris

I mean, I eat very healthy (no fast food, no deep-fried, less red meat than most, fresh veggies and fruits with every meal, etc) and I exercise pretty regularly.  Combined with genetics, I think it's safe to say I'll never see >200 lbs.  I don't think I'll have to worry about sizing up my ring anytime soon.

Chris

kphoger

I never take it off, except when playing the cajón or mixing messy food by hand in the kitchen.

Well, on purpose at least.  I once lost it at work.  Then I was pretty sure I lost it while throwing a bunch of stuff into the dumpster.  So I spent the next hour digging through the dumpster.  Never found the ring, bought a replacement.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Chris
Give it time.

I actually lost 18 pounds the first year and a half into our marriage.  One third of that was from training too much and the other two thirds was from what my Doctor termed an "unknown virus"  in December 2019.  My ring tends to slide around a lot nowadays as a result. 

The first covid case!

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on August 09, 2021, 02:18:57 PM

Chris
Give it time.

The first covid case!

Who knows, there was some people who died in December 2019 in California that had COVID in their system apparently when re-autopsied.  The breathing problems, lingering digestive issues and loss of taste I had were nothing I've ever experienced before.  Either way it really doesn't matter and there is no way to prove/disprove what it was now.  I do think it is amusing in retrospect that my doctor did tell me that when I visited her after three weeks. 

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 09, 2021, 10:42:10 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 06:23:29 PM

Chris
Give it time.

Chris

I mean, I eat very healthy (no fast food, no deep-fried, less red meat than most, fresh veggies and fruits with every meal, etc) and I exercise pretty regularly.  Combined with genetics, I think it's safe to say I'll never see >200 lbs.  I don't think I'll have to worry about sizing up my ring anytime soon.

Chris
Very well.

kphoger

Wow.  Geez.  I'm 40 years old, and I weigh the same as I did in high school.

Not everyone gains weight.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2021, 03:41:45 PM

We can wait and see on that one.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on August 09, 2021, 03:42:15 PM

It's the same way with my dad, who is now 69 years old.  I don't think his weight has varied by more than 15 pounds since he was in high school.  And my mom, who weighs even less than she did when she was younger.  And my sister, who I don't think has ever weighed more than 100 pounds her whole life.

How long are you suggesting I should wait?
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

When I took weight lifting more serious than I did cardio I managed to bulk up to 215 pounds by the time I was 19.  I'm currently at 182 but I've been as low as 155 in the last two decades when I was training for my first Marathon.  Granted, in my case I'm probably more aware and can affect weight loss/weight gain than the average person given I still distance run.  My brother is like me also but more focused on weight training.  I think watching our parents balloon and have mid-life health problems likely affected our attitudes on weight gain and being sedentary.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2021, 03:46:09 PM

It's the same way with my dad, who is now 69 years old.  I don't think his weight has varied by more than 15 pounds since he was in high school.  And my mom, who weighs even less than she did when she was younger.  And my sister, who I don't think has ever weighed more than 100 pounds her whole life.

How long are you suggesting I should wait?
*shrug*

I dunno.  I didn't get fat until I was in my 40s.

kphoger

(Back on topic...  I'm skinny enough that my wedding ring is pretty loose around my finger.  It has to be because, if it were any tighter, I wouldn't be able to get it over my knuckle.  When I was first married, I wasn't used to wearing a ring yet, and I used to play with it on my finger while driving my delivery route–no A/C in the truck, window down all the way, arm out the side in the breeze.  Once day, it accidentally slipped past my knuckle, and I just barely got control of it before it hit pavement at 62 mph.)
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

When do I not wear my wedding ring? I'll let you know hopefully within the next few years.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.