News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interesting US 30S relic

Started by xonhulu, July 23, 2010, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

While on my recent trip, I decided to follow the historic route of US 30S between Burley and Snowville.  When 30S was decommissioned, the portion in Idaho became ID 81, but apparently at some point that route was curtailed to Malta, where it shares a mutual endpoint with ID 77.  I'm not sure who has jurisdiction over the section from Malta to the Utah line, because of the signage I encountered there:

This is the only reference I found to the road having any designation until Utah, where it becomes UT 42.  It's interesting that they went back to the US Route designation for the road.  My question is, does anybody have an idea what "R.R.H.D." stands for?

TheStranger

Complete guess is that the "RR" stands for "Regional Road" but then it doesn't explain the HD part...
Chris Sampang

kj3400

Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

xonhulu

Quote from: TheStranger on July 23, 2010, 04:47:14 PM
Complete guess is that the "RR" stands for "Regional Road" but then it doesn't explain the HD part...

I thought "Rural Route" as that's what "RR" use to stand for in Post Office addresses when I was younger.

agentsteel53

"Raft River Highway District".  I have pictures of that sign from 2007 and I'm shocked - shocked! - to find that I haven't posted it yet to the shield gallery!

did you see the big stone state-shaped Welcome to Idaho sign at the state line?  that dates to the 60s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 23, 2010, 05:04:04 PM
"Raft River Highway District".  I have pictures of that sign from 2007 and I'm shocked - shocked! - to find that I haven't posted it yet to the shield gallery

O.k. that's what the letters stand for, but what does that mean?  State or county maintenance?

Quotedid you see the big stone state-shaped Welcome to Idaho sign at the state line?  that dates to the 60s.

Yeah, that was pretty cool.  It has probably survived due to the extremely low traffic that route now receives.

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on July 23, 2010, 05:20:45 PM
O.k. that's what the letters stand for, but what does that mean?  State or county maintenance?

my guess is Cassia County, as googling "Raft River Highway District" brings up an office in downtown Malta.

Yeah, that was pretty cool.  It has probably survived due to the extremely low traffic that route now receives.

good to know that's still there!  no US-30S shields, though, as far as I know.  or distant I-80N trailblazers.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

xonhulu: A brief Google search of the RRHD brings up...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=%22Raft+River+Highway+District%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CbEFVmAlKTJu8G4fQ6AO_layZDQAAAKoEBU_Q6iDY&fp=ca9b2c0382ceaa67

- several mentions of highway reconstruction projects
- names of other Idaho regional highway districts
- the RRHD joining a pension program in 1973

They seem to be based in Malta and looking at the links provided by the Google search, appear to be Cassia County's highway maintenance organization.
Chris Sampang

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 23, 2010, 05:29:54 PM
good to know that's still there!  no US-30S shields, though, as far as I know.  or distant I-80N trailblazers.

That would be too much to ask for, unfortunately.

andytom

Quote from: xonhulu on July 23, 2010, 05:20:45 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 23, 2010, 05:04:04 PM
"Raft River Highway District".  I have pictures of that sign from 2007 and I'm shocked - shocked! - to find that I haven't posted it yet to the shield gallery

It appears to be a sub-county level of highway jurisdiction.  Here's a map I found:

http://itd.idaho.gov/planning/GIS/MapBook/2008MapBook/Section3Maps/Dist4LocalHDBdy.pdf

Raft River HD is in the southeast corner.

This particular roadway is still in the Federal Aid route log.

--Andy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.