The road sign city name photo game

Started by Scott5114, December 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

This is a pretty simple game that exists mostly as excuse to get people to post road sign photos for me to look at. There's no winner or score.

Here's how it works.

• I'll post a picture of a road sign with a city name on it.
  • The next person will post a road sign that has a city name on it that starts with the same letter as the previous city name ends with. For example, if the previous sign said "Stigler", the next person would have to post a sign with a city name that starts with R.
  • If there are multiple city names in a photo, you have to use the one that continues the chain. If, after Stigler, a sign is posted that says "Sarcoxie/Reeds", the next name has to start with S, not E.
  • The only exception is the A rule. For whatever reason, a lot of place names starting with A also end in A. If a city ends in A, you may use another city name in the photo to continue with, so as to keep us from a never ending stream of As.
  • If there are multiple city names in a photo that start with the correct letter, you can continue the chain with any of them.
  • If a city starts and ends with the same letter, you cannot use the same city name twice in a row.
  • The same person can't go twice in a row unless 48 hours pass between posts.
  • Town/village/city names only, no street, county, region, or state names.
  • No GSV. GSV is of the devil.
  • Only officially-posted signs. No handmade, advertising, etc. signs.
  • All signs must be "in the wild". Nothing hanging on your wall, in your garage, etc.
  • Added 2017-01-17: As with A, If a city ends in X, Y, or Z, you may use another city name in the photo to continue with. (This is to keep us from getting stuck.)
So the starting photo is...

Since this is the first post, the next poster can use a name that starts with either N or L. After that, you'll have to use whichever name they used to continue the chain.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Ian

El Centro on I-8 eastbound in San Diego at I-805...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

7/8

How about this sign on Hwy 17? 145 km to Ottawa. Feel free to use Cobden or Renfrew for the next sign.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on December 29, 2016, 07:20:59 PM
How about this sign on Hwy 17? 145 km to Ottawa. Feel free to use Cobden or Renfrew for the next sign.

No, you can't use Cobden or Renfrew.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM
If there are multiple city names in a photo, you have to use the one that continues the chain.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2016, 08:33:04 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on December 29, 2016, 07:20:59 PM

No, you can't use Cobden or Renfrew.

If there are multiple city names in a photo, you have to use the one that continues the chain.

The only exception is the A rule. For whatever reason, a lot of place names starting with A also end in A. If a city ends in A, you may use another city name in the photo to continue with, so as to keep us from a never ending stream of As.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Only officially-posted signs. No handmade, advertising, etc. signs.

What if the officially-posted sign is handmade?  And yes, this is a legitimate question.

Quote from: 1 on December 29, 2016, 08:38:57 PM
The only exception is the A rule. For whatever reason, a lot of place names starting with A also end in A. If a city ends in A, you may use another city name in the photo to continue with, so as to keep us from a never ending stream of As.

Ah, sorry.  I incorrectly remembered that exception as only applying to names that both begin and end with A, not just those that end with A.  Just forget I'm here, really.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

AMSTERDAM to MAJADA

Quote from: kphoger on May 15, 2013, 08:38:57 PM

And ... feel free to use ... oh, wait, they both end in A ...
Male pronouns, please.

jmd41280

Do city limit signs count, or must they be BGSs or distance signs?

If so, here is Allenport, PA...
[Allenport, Washington County by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

kphoger

Same junction different sign.  In fact, the post on the left side of the previous picture is what's holding this one up.

ALLENPORT to TORREÃ"N

Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

wanderer2575

*throws penalty flag at formulaone*

See rule #3.  Need another city beginning with Y.

kphoger

(Did you see Bigfoot?  I caught Bigfoot on camera.  Right where the sign was pointing.  Nothing to it.)
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 29, 2016, 10:05:44 PM

Eh, that's how I'm comprehending the rule: the last city name ends in T.

"If there are multiple city names in a photo, you have to use the one that continues the chain. If, after Stigler, a sign is posted that says "Sarcoxie/Reeds", the next name has to start with S, not E."

wanderer2575

Quote from: formulanone on December 30, 2016, 01:39:51 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 29, 2016, 10:05:44 PM

Eh, that's how I'm reading the rule: the last city name ends in T.

"If there are multiple city names in a photo, you have to use the one that continues the chain. If, after Stigler, a sign is posted that says "Sarcoxie/Reeds", the next name has to start with S, not E."

"If there are multiple city names in a photo, you have to use the city name that continues the chain."

Yancey continued the chain.  Ignore Bigfoot.

Not trying to be anal; just following the OP's intent.

formulanone

SignGeek101

noelbotevera

Beggars can't be choosers. It's on this website anyway.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2016, 08:43:31 PM
Only officially-posted signs. No handmade, advertising, etc. signs.

What if the officially-posted sign is handmade?  And yes, this is a legitimate question.

Then, yeah, that's fine. I just want to avoid things that aren't "real" road signs. So no advertising yard signs, cardboard signs, campaign signs, etc.

If a construction crew makes a sign by hand and puts it up, it's "official" and thus OK for the purposes of the game.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

SAN JOSEEL ÁNGEL

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2016, 02:33:13 AM
If a construction crew makes a sign by hand and puts it up, it's "official" and thus OK for the purposes of the game.
Male pronouns, please.

TravelingBethelite

I like this game! EL ÁNGEL - LANCASTER

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.