News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

After a few days of cloudy weather with dense fog advisories at night, we're supposed to have a squall line of thunderstorms move through this evening. There's a marginal/slight risk of severe storms today for wind and tornadoes. Tornado watch is already in effect to the west in Alabama. We'll see what happens; it's looking to be the most exciting weather we've had in a long time.

Eth

Quote from: US 89 on January 19, 2019, 01:28:15 PM
After a few days of cloudy weather with dense fog advisories at night, we're supposed to have a squall line of thunderstorms move through this evening. There's a marginal/slight risk of severe storms today for wind and tornadoes. Tornado watch is already in effect to the west in Alabama. We'll see what happens; it's looking to be the most exciting weather we've had in a long time.

That could continue to be mildly interesting into tomorrow morning. Though the rain's all falling today while it's warm (50s/60s), cold air will rush in overnight tonight resulting in a morning low temperature at or near freezing. Might see some slippery roads, particularly on the north side.

Tomorrow will probably be a day for me to just stay inside, with temperatures not making it out of the 30s along with a 20-25 mph northwest wind.

Ben114

Update: now going to be getting ~6-8 inches of snow

adventurernumber1

It has been raining a good bit today here in Dalton, GA. The area in my backyard at the bottom of the slope has temporarily turned into a small, muddy creek, as often happens when there is a lot of rainfall.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Buck87

22 degrees, windy, and still snowing. Hasn't stopped snowing since my post early today, and looks like it will continue to snow for several more hours with a chance of extra lake effect tomorrow. Hard to estimate the current total due to all the drifting, but it's easily over 6 inches, with some drifts over a foot.

All 4 of the counties my hometown touches have declared level 3 snow emergencies, which means the roads are closed to non-emergency personnel.   

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2019, 09:08:26 PM
22 degrees, windy, and still snowing. Hasn't stopped snowing since my post early today, and looks like it will continue to snow for several more hours with a chance of extra lake effect tomorrow. Hard to estimate the current total due to all the drifting, but it's easily over 6 inches, with some drifts over a foot.

All 4 of the counties my hometown touches have declared level 3 snow emergencies, which means the roads are closed to non-emergency personnel.   

Further south...
(As of 10:30 AM) Hardin, Crawford, Marion, Union, Delaware, Morrow, and Perry Counties are all Level 3 snow emergencies as well.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Temperature is about 5°F, and I'm currently in the process of getting another estimated half-inch of snow after getting five inches Friday afternoon through Saturday morning. This is totally different from last winter, where snowfall totals at this time in January were abysmal.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

1995hoo

City of Alexandria police tweeted this photo of wind damage on Duke Street this morning (outside the Whole Foods near the King Street Metro):

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Eth

As expected, we're holding in the mid-30s under mostly cloudy skies. I saw a few snow flurries about 20-30 minutes ago (and I do mean a few, as in countable on one hand).

Not gonna be seeing anything remotely close to those Virginia/Delaware numbers above, but we will drop well into the 20s tonight with windchills in the teens by morning. I think there will be colder air to come before the end of winter; my rule of thumb is that the temperature has to reach 17 degrees at least once every year, and that hasn't happened yet.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ben114

jakeroot

Long term forecast for the Seattle area is for highs around 50, lows around 40-35 (lower in rural areas), and...wait for it...mostly to partly cloudy! According to TWC, over the next ten days, only two have chances of precipitation over 50%.

I don't know if this winter is or is not officially El Niño, but it certainly feels like it is.

MNHighwayMan

Got another winter weather advisory for tonight through Tuesday night, with either snow (up to two inches) or a mixture of snow/freezing rain/ice accumulation expected.

Now this is what I expect from winter. The previous two/three winters here in Iowa were a bit of a letdown for my Minnesotan tastes.

Roadgeekteen

7 degrees and very cold, wet and icy.

ET21

Expecting a decent ice storm tonight, first one in awhile where expected accumulations of .20-.25 inches of ice are predicted 
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

I'll amend my previous post with the text of the current winter storm warning that central Iowa is under.

...A Wintry Mix and Wind into Wednesday Morning...

.A winter storm system will bring a mixture of freezing drizzle,
freezing rain, snow, and stronger winds to the state today and
tonight. A more widespread moderate snow along with ice is
expected. The ice will be more prevalent over southern areas this
morning with lighter amounts north with snow mainly over the north
through mid afternoon. Later in the afternoon and tonight another
period of moderate snow is expected to set up farther south into
central and eastern Iowa. The combination of ice, snow and winds
increasing this evening will create hazardous travel over much of
the area by later today and tonight.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation. Snow accumulations of 4 to 6
inches and ice accumulations of one tenth to two tenths of an
inch.

* WHERE...Portions of Central Iowa.

* WHEN...Until 6 AM CST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Patchy
blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The
hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
commute.

Roadgeekteen

Buck87

40 and raining. It's a wet sloppy mess made worse by all this snow from the weekend storm trying to melt off.

Though with the temp forecasted to drop back below freezing tonight and stay that way for over a week, it kinda feels like a race to see how much of this can be melted off before whatever is left freezes solid.

Eth

Mostly cloudy and 47. After we started Monday morning down around 20 degrees, we'll have a high of 65 today, which is perfectly on-brand for an Atlanta winter.

Yet another round of rain tonight. Yay.

Roadgeekteen

ET21

Awaiting the arctic front here, the first of two arctic punches

Clinched:

ET21

Currently -6 with a wind chill of -15, day 1 of the Arctic

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.