News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What to expect in the next MUTCD (2017 or later)?

Started by Pink Jazz, April 04, 2015, 12:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on July 18, 2018, 12:02:06 AM
One thing to wonder is if the public telephone requirement for logo sign eligibility is still really necessary. Very few people don't have cell phones anymore. Considering many states have removed roadside emergency call boxes except in rural areas with poor mobile coverage, do businesses really need to provide a public telephone to be eligible for a logo sign?

Well, I think you'll have a hard time finding a business that won't let somebody borrow their phone. Such requests have become so uncommon lately, it's hard to say "no" when it does happen.

That said, I think that's an unnecessary requirement these days (didn't even know it was a requirement, to be honest). I suppose it could be dropped.

roadman

One thing to wonder is if the public telephone requirement for logo sign eligibility is still really necessary. Very few people don't have cell phones anymore. Considering many states have removed roadside emergency call boxes except in rural areas with poor mobile coverage, do businesses really need to provide a public telephone to be eligible for a logo sign?

MassDOT's current LOGO sign policy considers either a public pay phone or a landline telephone - such as at a hotel front desk or a restaurant's cashier station - that the public can access in an emergency as meeting the public telephone requirement.  I'd like to see this definition applied nationally.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on July 30, 2018, 12:56:48 PM

MassDOT's current LOGO sign policy considers either a public pay phone or a landline telephone - such as at a hotel front desk or a restaurant's cashier station - that the public can access in an emergency as meeting the public telephone requirement.  I'd like to see this definition applied nationally.

That would be a step in the right direction. According to Pew Research, 77% of Americans own smartphones. 95% own any type of mobile phone. At this point, the few people that need a public phone (those with dead cell phones) should just be able to use any available landline (given how rare the request is nowadays).

Pink Jazz

Based on the FHWA's recent report with Clearview, I think it is probably unlikely it will be included with the next MUTCD and I expect the interim approval to get rescinded again.  Since Sam Johnson is retiring and the upcoming changes in Congress, I don't think there will be any other big push to force Clearview onto the FHWA unless there is litigation by Meeker and Associates.  However, I wonder if Meeker will be held liable for potentially defrauding the government by falsifying legibility studies.

Pink Jazz

Here is a roundup from what I expect in the next MUTCD as of now:

• Blue and Brown retroreflectivity standards.
  • Inclusion of RRFBs.
  • Inclusion of green bike path pavement and bike boxes.
  • Inclusion of bicycle signal heads.
  • Smaller APL arrows.
As for Clearview I don't see it happening since the report by the FHWA last year failed to find any legibility advantage and the Congress that pushed the reinstatement of the interim approval is no longer in office and so far there has been no real movement by the current Congress to push Clearview.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.