Regional Boards > Northeast

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

(1/70) > >>

vdeane:
I was going through the internet when I found this "Ask the DOT" article in the Providence Journal: http://www.providencejournal.com/cars/ask-the-dot/20131013-ask-the-dot-numbering-exits-on-interstate-highways.ece

The really interesting part is here:

--- Quote ---We have looked into moving to a distance-based exit numbering system. This system would help drivers better judge distances between exits and allow the department to add or change exits without renumbering the signs along the highway.

It is important to note, given our size and geographic location, this change is best made in cooperation with our bordering communities, Massachusetts and Connecticut, who also have sequentially numbered highway exits. We are working closely with them to determine how this system could best be implemented in our region.

--- End quote ---

So... given that, MA's pending conversion, and CT switching a couple routes soon, do you think we'll see mileage based numbers come to RI soon?

dgolub:
Interesting.  Sequentially numbered exits really are an endangered species at this point, aren't they?

Duke87:
I fail to see how the practices of Connecticut and Massachusetts have any real bearing on what Rhode Island does. Delaware has had no qualms numbering its exits differently than all of its neighbors, after all.

This is just classic New England attitude of being reluctant to embrace change.

bob7374:

--- Quote from: dgolub on April 27, 2014, 07:23:05 PM ---Interesting.  Sequentially numbered exits really are an endangered species at this point, aren't they?

--- End quote ---
It will be interesting to see if RI and neighboring states do coordinate milepost based exits. For example, I-295 around Providence. Currently MA and RI have separate sequential systems, however the 2009 MUTCD recommends that 3di loop or semi-circular routes that cross state lines use one milepost system throughout, like what is done with I-495 on the Capital Beltway, I-275 around Cincinnati, and elsewhere. If this is to be done with I-295, MassDOT and RIDOT would need to cooperate on a single milepost system that would continue 4 mile into MA to I-95.

Alps:

--- Quote from: Duke87 on April 27, 2014, 07:50:34 PM ---I fail to see how the practices of Connecticut and Massachusetts have any real bearing on what Rhode Island does. Delaware has had no qualms numbering its exits differently than all of its neighbors, after all.

This is just classic New England attitude of being reluctant to embrace change.

--- End quote ---
Absolutely agreed. For such a small state, though, it makes sense for RI to mile-number I-95 and I-295 - and arguably RI 4. I-195's exits probably aren't worth the bother. Presumably RI 10 and US 6 would remain unnumbered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version