News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

what local search mean since the Microsoft (Bing)-Yahoo alliance

Started by Stephane Dumas, August 01, 2009, 10:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Alex

One thing I like about Yahoo! Maps is that they attempt to show neighborhood areas within cities. No other mapping service tries to cover this distinction. Hopefully this feature does not disappear with the merger...

vdeane

I believe the merger is primarily about search and ad revenue.

Maybe yahoo's maps will be used with bird's eye view added.  Bing maps hasn't appeared to have been updated in months.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stephane Dumas

I check sometimes Bing Maps, I wish there one thing then Google maps could be inspired from Bing or RandMcNally is the color of the freeways, red or blue for the "free freeways" and green for the toll roads (MapArt use purple to show toll roads in their road atlas)

Also ACME Mapper could add the Bing/Yahoo maps to their setup, they have the Mapnik/OpenStreetMap in company of Google Maps

Hellfighter

Chris

I barely use streetview... the navigation is too slow... I once wanted to follow I-278 through New York, and it took me over an hour just to get from the Goethals Bridge to the Brooklyn Bridge... almost like real traffic  :)

I think Street View is more useful when you're looking for something particular you know where it approximatly is located. (like signs). But just browsing through it? Nah...

Stephane Dumas

I spotted another online map site, it's called GPS Visualiser where you click at select locations and then at "Draw the map" it even include Canadian topographic maps like for example, the Dix30 shop complex at Brossard near Montreal http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?special=wikipedia&format=google&bg_map=google_mytopo&sp_width=50km&form:data=type,name,latitude,longitude%0DW,%22Quartier DIX30%22,45.443031,-73.43575

However I would have wished then GPS Visualiser offer a setup similar to Acme Mapper

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.