Regional Boards > Northeast

Mon-Fayette Expressway

<< < (2/52) > >>

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: PAHighways on August 03, 2009, 09:08:08 PM ---About time!  This is the second time West Virginia took their sweet time connecting a limited access highway at the border.

--- End quote ---

What was the other highway?  I-79?

PAHighways:

--- Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 03, 2009, 10:52:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: PAHighways on August 03, 2009, 09:08:08 PM ---About time!  This is the second time West Virginia took their sweet time connecting a limited access highway at the border.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It was 79.

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: PAHighways on August 03, 2009, 11:03:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 03, 2009, 10:52:50 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It was 79.

--- End quote ---

Thought so.

CanesFan27:

--- Quote from: mightyace on August 03, 2009, 05:49:33 PM ---It's about bloody time.

Rand McNally has shown this stretch as under construction for years.

--- End quote ---

Well it kinda has.  West Virginia had been building it pretty much bridge by bridge as funding was available over the past decade.

CanesFan27:

--- Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 03, 2009, 07:52:20 PM ---Mon-Fayette?  Where do they come up with such dumb names?  "Monsieur Lafayette" or whatever was too much to spell out?  Why not just abbreviate it all the way to "Mofo" and be done with it?

--- End quote ---

Jake,

It was originally going to be called the Mon Valley Expressway (the highway plans date to the 1960s if not earlier).  Steve correctly pointed out that Mon comes from Monongahela River.  The "Fayette" portion of the name is relatively new, and it was politicians from Fayette County which wanted and successfully got the name changed.

A lot of people, like myself, still call it the Mon Valley Expressway though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version