News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80 to Youngstown, OH

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 10, 2016, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I'll be going on a road trip from CT out to Youngstown, OH. I haven't been out there since I started taking pics of signs.  I'll be taking I-84 to I-81 to I-80 all the way out.
Any non-reflective button copy, old interstate shields...you know the usual?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

hbelkins

Last time I was on I-81 and I-80 in Pennsylvania, there were a few button copy signs left and some stray state-named Interstate markers here and there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

Up until about 10-15 years ago, I-80 in Pennsylvania was a treasure trove of non-reflective button copy, all text signs with no route shields, state-named Interstate markers, and other oddities. Now, there's very little of any of these things left.

Two events accelerated the demise of the old signage. One was that, beginning in the late '90s, PennDOT began a massive effort to completely reconstruct most of I-80's 300+ miles in the state. These projects often included new signage. The other "nail in the coffin"  was PennDOT's switch from sequential to mileage-based exit numbering between 2001-2002. The old signs that had survived were butchered with new reflective panels, and many were replaced altogether.

Actually, I just drove the length from I-99 to I-476 over the weekend, and I didn't see a single button copy sign in that entire length. The last holdouts were at the US 11 interchange near Berwick, but they were replaced last year with new Clearview signs.

There are only a couple of oddities that come to mind (which you may or may not find interesting). At Exit 192 stands one of the few remaining "Keystone Shortway"  panels attached to an I-80 trailblazer. To see it, get off Exit 192, turn right (eastward) toward the Sunoco station, then make a U-turn at the Sunoco station and head back to I-80. You'll see the sign as part of the "JCT"  assembly.

Then further west (I believe around Clearfield), there's an I-80 reassurance marker posted westbound that has a letter O instead of a zero for 80. It's not terribly old, but still an oddity, and I've been meaning to capture a picture of it for a couple of years but always notice it too late.

thenetwork

With the rebuild & widening of I-80 around Y-Town, most of that signage is newer, non-button copy as are a lot of the freeways around Youngstown which have been replaced over the last 10 years. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.