News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 795 extension (NC)

Started by LM117, July 16, 2016, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 08, 2021, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on April 08, 2021, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 08, 2021, 05:21:27 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on April 08, 2021, 05:20:15 PM
http://prntscr.com/117mc6w

This is why the I-795 project south of Goldsboro is more important compared to other projects.
Specifically a bypass of that area, not the entire corridor. Also, it shows there's an accident which could cause unusual levels of congestion.
Yes, but still, can the project be done in phases if not all at once?
The bypass is likely the first phase, tying into the recently complete freeway segment (due to the two interchanges added) south of there. Anything south of Mt. Olive to I-40 will likely be last since it's already a 55 mph (should be 60 mph) expressway.
I see. And these bridges will need to be replaced as well.

The Ghostbuster

I have noticed that the new exits being built on US 117 do not have exit numbers. I would have thought, since the corridor is slated to become an extension of Interstate 795 eventually, that the new exits should have been numbered via the mileage of the future Interstate 795 extension.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 08, 2021, 05:38:04 PM
I have noticed that the new exits being built on US 117 do not have exit numbers. I would have thought, since the corridor is slated to become an extension of Interstate 795 eventually, that the new exits should have been numbered via the mileage of the future Interstate 795 extension.
I'm sure they'll add them when I-795 DOES get extended which won't be awhile.

In the mean time, should they add noise walls over here?

LM117

This is why the I-795 project south of Goldsboro is more important compared to other projects.
Specifically a bypass of that area, not the entire corridor. Also, it shows there's an accident which could cause unusual levels of congestion.

I used to live there off of Old Grantham Rd and drove through that spot every day and it sucked. It was almost always congested during rush hour, even moreso during the annual county fair in the fall (pre-COVID). I've seen many fender benders at that intersection.

In addition to taking thru traffic away from Mar-Mac, that bypass would provide a desperately needed second Neuse River crossing. When the Neuse River knocks the US-117 bridges out of commission, Wayne County is essentially cut in half. That's been a big problem in the past, particularly for those south of the river that suddenly couldn't get to Goldsboro, especially for those with medical emergencies. Having a second major crossing (ideally at a higher elevation) would be a big help. I never understood why NCDOT didn't consider the bypass to be top priority for I-795, given the obvious benefits of it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

Quote from: LM117 on April 10, 2021, 10:02:26 AM

I used to live there off of Old Grantham Rd and drove through that spot every day and it sucked. It was almost always congested during rush hour, even moreso during the annual county fair in the fall (pre-COVID). I've seen many fender benders at that intersection.

In addition to taking thru traffic away from Mar-Mac, that bypass would provide a desperately needed second Neuse River crossing. When the Neuse River knocks the US-117 bridges out of commission, Wayne County is essentially cut in half. That's been a big problem in the past, particularly for those south of the river that suddenly couldn't get to Goldsboro, especially for those with medical emergencies. Having a second major crossing (ideally at a higher elevation) would be a big help. I never understood why NCDOT didn't consider the bypass to be top priority for I-795, given the obvious benefits of it.

Because those benefits were in rare circumstances although I don't disagree that a 2nd crossing is important.

NCDOT just thinks like all of us do and doesn't want to spend so much for the what if scenarios.

tolbs17

When US-117 was signed on the freeway, I think it should have been signed as US-117 bypass.

bob7374

NCDOT announces repaving project for US 117 in Wayne County which includes widening shoulders for Future I-795 between the new Country Club Blvd. and O'Berry Road interchanges:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-08-31-us-117-repaving-wayne-county.aspx

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on August 31, 2021, 10:56:17 AM
NCDOT announces repaving project for US 117 in Wayne County which includes widening shoulders for Future I-795 between the new Country Club Blvd. and O'Berry Road interchanges:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-08-31-us-117-repaving-wayne-county.aspx

Would've made more sense to extend the shoulder widening to just north of NC-55, IMO, given the lack of at-grades.

LM117

Quote from: Alex on December 16, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
Quote from: LM117 on December 15, 2017, 11:20:05 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 14, 2017, 06:23:26 PM
Future I-795 signs are up.

When did you see them? I drove US-117 in October and there weren't any then.

Spotted one posted to the immediate south of the end shield two days ago:

https://twitter.com/AARoads/status/941297727039787010

I was browsing the area on Google Streetview just now, and the image taken in September 2021 shows the 'Future I-795' sign laying on the ground (guess somebody knocked it over).

On another note, there still isn't updated Streetview images showing the new Country Club Road interchange, which opened in April 2020.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on January 24, 2022, 11:14:46 PMOn another note, there still isn't updated Streetview images showing the new Country Club Road interchange, which opened in April 2020.

Looks like Google noticed that as well. New Streetview images (dated May 2022) of US-117 are now being shown.

Other than the new interchange, most noteworthy (and welcome) is that the speed limit has been raised to 65mph between NC-55 in Mount Olive, and US-117 Alternate in Mar-Mac.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on June 15, 2022, 07:59:35 PM
Other than the new interchange, most noteworthy (and welcome) is that the speed limit has been raised to 65mph between NC-55 in Mount Olive, and US-117 Alternate in Mar-Mac.
That is a very welcome change indeed, and I'm honestly surprised (but thankful) they did. I recall driving that segment which had been basically improved to a freeway at that point, struggling to stay under 70 mph. 55 mph was a joke that should have at least been 60 mph.

It is strange to see North Carolina post a new 65 mph zone though... usually it's been 60 mph or 70 mph. Arguably, this segment should be 70 mph, but still not complaining over 55 mph.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 16, 2022, 01:53:28 AM
That is a very welcome change indeed, and I'm honestly surprised (but thankful) they did. I recall driving that segment which had been basically improved to a freeway at that point, struggling to stay under 70 mph. 55 mph was a joke that should have at least been 60 mph.

It is strange to see North Carolina post a new 65 mph zone though... usually it's been 60 mph or 70 mph. Arguably, this segment should be 70 mph, but still not complaining over 55 mph.

Agreed. I grew up there and the 55mph limit was usually ignored except during holidays when cops were out in force, so the speed limit being raised is pretty much a formality at this point.

That's one of the reasons the Wayne County Board of Commissioners and the Dudley firefighters/EMS blew a gasket when NCDOT slapped that traffic light at O'Berry Road back in 2004 without consulting with the county first. Wrecks increased there after that light went up, but NCDOT refused to take it back down until the interchange construction began. Relations between Wayne County and NCDOT were pretty frosty back then. Dudley firefighters/EMS workers didn't have kind things to say about NCDOT back then, either. Fortunately, it appears to be a different story now.

amroad17

Maybe because of the lack of Interstate standard shoulders is the reason this area is posted at 65 mph instead of 70 mph.  Still an improvement for those that live in that area.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

LM117

Quote from: amroad17 on June 28, 2022, 02:14:33 AM

Maybe because of the lack of Interstate standard shoulders is the reason this area is posted at 65 mph instead of 70 mph.  Still an improvement for those that live in that area.

I doubt narrow shoulders had anything to with it. A lot of older freeways in the state have narrow shoulders with a 70mph speed limit. Since the new 65mph zone currently only covers a 7 mile stretch of US-117, my guess is that NCDOT felt it would make the transition back to the 55mph zones somewhat 'smoother', even though in reality traffic is probably already moving along at around 70-80mph there right now. Traffic was already flowing around 65-70mph on that stretch before the speed limit was raised.

sprjus4

^ I do find it interesting they continued the 65 mph speed limit through the old, substandard NC-55 interchange as well instead of dropping it back to 55 mph north of it.

Once all of US-117 is improved to I-795, the speed limit will likely be raised to 70 mph throughout to match the existing highway to the north.

bob7374

A poster on the FB group Tar Heel Roads indicated he recently drove I-795 North from Goldsboro to Wilson and said the exit numbers have been changed along he highway, starting with 2x and increasing heading north, opposite to the previous exit numbers. If so, this makes sense due to the planned extension, but why now when the completion of I-795 to I-40 is still years away? Coincidence done during the renumbering of US 264 due to I-587? Unlike that renumbering, I can find no publicity for any exit renumbering along I-795.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on October 23, 2022, 10:51:49 AM
A poster on the FB group Tar Heel Roads indicated he recently drove I-795 North from Goldsboro to Wilson and said the exit numbers have been changed along he highway, starting with 2x and increasing heading north, opposite to the previous exit numbers. If so, this makes sense due to the planned extension, but why now when the completion of I-795 to I-40 is still years away? Coincidence done during the renumbering of US 264 due to I-587? Unlike that renumbering, I can find no publicity for any exit renumbering along I-795.

I'd like to know the reason as well. The only way I could see it making sense is if the bypass around Mar-Mac is gonna be built anytime soon, and as far as I know, it's not.

Mapmikey

Jan 2023 GMSV shows that I-795 exit numbers have NOT changed 

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on June 28, 2022, 02:14:33 AM

It's interesting, because according to Street View from 5 months back, it appears they widened the shoulders to meet interstate standards but just between the Country Club Rd and Oberry Rd interchanges. The remainder of the freeway north of Oberry Rd was simply resurfaced. Why didn't they just widen the shoulders for the entire length, that way that entire 7 mile segment (north of the NC-55 overpass which will obviously be replaced) will be up to interstate standards.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe it was a case of resurface-now, reconstruct-and-upgrade-later. It's going to take a lot of work (and tearing down homes and businesses) to extend Interstate 795 from US 70 to Interstate 40. The sooner more upgrades come, the better.

sprjus4

^ I get that, I just don't understand why they didn't upgrade / widen the shoulders on the entire freeway segment, but instead they only did it on that particular segment between those two interchanges, but not the miles+ of fully controlled access highway north of there.

The freeway segment north of NC-55 will be incorporated into I-795. The bypass of Mar-Mac will begin north of the where the existing freeway ends.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.