News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Columbus to DC: I-68 or I-70?

Started by TempoNick, May 11, 2021, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TempoNick

My apologies if this has been covered before, I searched and didn't find anything.

Best road to DC to and from to Columbus. Last time I took I-70, many years ago, it sucked. Thinking about taking I-70 to I-79 to I-68. Or should I take that crossover that uses PA state routes and US 40?

Thoughts?

Rothman

Quote from: TempoNick on May 11, 2021, 04:42:09 AM
My apologies if this has been covered before, I searched and didn't find anything.

Best road to DC to and from to Columbus. Last time I took I-70, many years ago, it sucked. Thinking about taking I-70 to I-79 to I-68. Or should I take that crossover that uses PA state routes and US 40?

Thoughts?
Coming from Columbus, I'd just stick to I-70.  I-68 only helps with traffic coming from the SW or NE.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Google maps recommends using PA 43/US 40/I-68 between both I-70 points. US 40 is mostly a 2 lane road, though you'll only be on it for 30 miles.

I know you asked for a fastest route, but a longer but more scenic option is using ADHS Corridors D (US 50) and H (US 48). US 48 isn't finished yet, but it's a 4 lane expressway for the most part.

froggie

I've done the reciprocal a few times.  Fastest toll-free route is simply 70 to 79 to 68, which is also faster than just staying on 70 as Rothman suggested.

Google's suggestion (mentioned by SkyPesos) requires tolls along PA 43.

sprjus4

Definitely take I-79 to I-68.

It's only 5 miles longer than I-70, still as all interstate highway, and avoids the Turnpike and high tolls entirely. Plus the entire route is 70 mph (except that small 40 mph through Cumberland of course) and avoids the long crawl of 55 mph I-70 between Breezewood and Maryland. And avoids Breezewood itself. And IIRC I-70 seems to be a never ending construction zone east of Washington, PA, so you're also avoiding that.

Plus I've driven both roads, IMO, I-68 is a far nicer highway with less traffic than I-70. It has a somewhat scenic aspect to it as well. There are some grades, but if you're simply in a passenger vehicle not pulling anything you should be fine maintaining 70+ mph. Climbing lanes are all over that road helping to avoid the slower trucks.

As far as SkyPesos aforementioned US-40 / PA-68 route, it only saves a total of 3 minutes vs. I-79, half of it tolled, and the other half is 2 lane backroads. Something I'd try to avoid on a long distance trip, of course unless you're up for the change in pace which in that case maybe give it a try.

hbelkins

Columbus to DC? Any of the ARC corridors (D or H) are out of the way; too far south. Best alternative to I-70 (tolls, substandard section between Washington and New Stanton, and Breezewood) is definitely I-79 to I-68.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

US-33 to Athens, then US-50 east to Clarksburg, is a good route. Very little traffic, especially between Parkersburg and Clarksburg. hbelkins is right that getting from Clarksburg to Corridor H is somewhat out of the way, but you could very easily take I-79 north to I-68 from there.

The route Google Maps recommends is I-70 to the PA-43 toll road, then south to Uniontown, then US-40 to I-68. If you go that way, watch out for cops near the Maryland state line. This route is 403 miles. We went that way going westbound and it was fine. PA-43 was empty. More pleasant drive than the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

If you take the Pennsylvania Turnpike route through Breezewood, Google Maps quotes 412 miles (using simply "Columbus OH" and "Washington DC"). The new US-219 south of Somerset adds six miles to that (US-219 to I-68 back to I-70 at Hancock).

Google says I-70 to I-79 to I-68 is 420 miles and US-33 to US-50 to I-79 to I-68 is 429 miles.

So, all in all, not a huge difference in distance between any of those routes. Interestingly, the route it suggest to use to connect from Clarksburg to Corridor H subtracts distance (418 miles) but adds time (about half an hour) because it uses some back roads. If you want to see something interesting, you could pass through Philippi to see the covered bridge.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SkyPesos

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 11, 2021, 09:20:53 AM
As far as SkyPesos aforementioned US-40 / PA-68 route, it only saves a total of 3 minutes vs. I-79, half of it tolled, and the other half is 2 lane backroads. Something I'd try to avoid on a long distance trip, of course unless you're up for the change in pace which in that case maybe give it a try.
Only 3 minutes? I'm surprised the difference is that little considering that the PA 43/US 40 routing is like the hypotenuse of a right triangle while I-79/68 is the other two sides, even with the 2 lane US 40. The fact that you're going a bit far south in Morgantown to get onto I-68 before going back north on I-68 seems like it would add a good amount of time on that routing. Though I have seen proposals of a Northern Bypass for Morgantown floating around, which would definitely put I-79/68 over PA 43/US 40 for time.

Mapmikey

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 11, 2021, 12:09:26 PM
Only 3 minutes? I'm surprised the difference is that little considering that the PA 43/US 40 routing is like the hypotenuse of a right triangle while I-79/68 is the other two sides, even with the 2 lane US 40. The fact that you're going a bit far south in Morgantown to get onto I-68 before going back north on I-68 seems like it would add a good amount of time on that routing. Though I have seen proposals of a Northern Bypass for Morgantown floating around, which would definitely put I-79/68 over PA 43/US 40 for time.

US 40 has a gnarly mountain descent east of Uniontown. I don't recall the speed limit for cars but for trucks it is 10 mph IIRC.

If time is an issue at all I use 70-79-68 for this corridor.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 11, 2021, 12:37:00 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 11, 2021, 12:09:26 PM

US 40 has a gnarly mountain descent east of Uniontown. I don't recall the speed limit for cars but for trucks it is 10 mph IIRC.

If time is an issue at all I use 70-79-68 for this corridor.
I found the 10 mph mountain decent. Yikes. At least that section is 4 lane divided so cars can pass on the left.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2021, 09:16:11 AMFastest toll-free route is simply 70 to 79 to 68, which is also faster than just staying on 70 as Rothman suggested.

So it is - only by a few minutes, but I still find that quite surprising considering it's almost 10 miles longer. Besides the elephant in the room (Breezewood), why would that be? Higher speed limits, presumably?

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on May 11, 2021, 01:09:58 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2021, 09:16:11 AMFastest toll-free route is simply 70 to 79 to 68, which is also faster than just staying on 70 as Rothman suggested.

So it is - only by a few minutes, but I still find that quite surprising considering it's almost 10 miles longer. Besides the elephant in the room (Breezewood), why would that be? Higher speed limits, presumably?
I am also a little confused by this as well, given how mich shorter I-70 is.

The route down US 40 just screams that you'd get stuck behind a slow driver or truck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

It's only about 5 miles longer and I-70 has all those 55 mph zones that drag on plus obviously Breezewood.

I-68 and I-79 are 70 mph throughout with the sole exception of Cumberland, MD which is a quick pass through and the brief lower speed limit is actually logical.

Plus I-68 is far more scenic, has less traffic, and much more modern design than I-70 is, which wouldn't affect travel times necessary but just a plus for going that way. Also, no tolls.

Maryland has numerous signs as far as just outside of Washington, D.C. that advertise I-68 as an alternative route west. It simply just is the better route, there's no question. Unless you're going north of Pittsburgh along I-76 towards Youngstown, Cleveland, and further west, no real reason to jump up to the Turnpike, pay the high toll, and get stuck in all those artificial 55 mph zones along with substandard highway in general.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 11, 2021, 01:48:04 PM
It's only about 5 miles longer and I-70 has all those 55 mph zones that drag on plus obviously Breezewood.

I-68 and I-79 are 70 mph throughout with the sole exception of Cumberland, MD which is a quick pass through and the brief lower speed limit is actually logical.

Plus I-68 is far more scenic, has less traffic, and much more modern design than I-70 is, which wouldn't affect travel times necessary but just a plus for going that way. Also, no tolls.

Maryland has numerous signs as far as just outside of Washington, D.C. that advertise I-68 as an alternative route west. It simply just is the better route, there's no question. Unless you're going north of Pittsburgh along I-76 towards Youngstown, Cleveland, and further west, no real reason to jump up to the Turnpike, pay the high toll, and get stuck in all those artificial 55 mph zones along with substandard highway in general.

Don't forget that I-70 also has a 40 mph zone in the vicinity of the Monongahela River...

TempoNick

Thanks for confirming my instincts about using I-68. Looking at it on the map and considering the convoluted route it follows in Pennsylvania, especially considering that break in Breezewood, I wonder why they just don't reroute I-70 along I-68. It would make a lot more sense. But maybe traffic would increase too much and toll revenue would decrease for Pennsylvania.

TempoNick

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
US-33 to Athens, then US-50 east to Clarksburg, is a good route. Very little traffic, especially between Parkersburg and Clarksburg.

I've thought about doing this long before when I was just looking at the map, but I have yet to ever use i-68 and kind of wanted to do that. Maybe different routes coming and going, but you know how it is going home. You tend to want to get home.

Henry

I-68 may be a great way to shunpike, but that substandard section through Cumberland is a major problem for it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jmacswimmer

Quote from: TempoNick on May 11, 2021, 03:39:57 PM
Thanks for confirming my instincts about using I-68. Looking at it on the map and considering the convoluted route it follows in Pennsylvania, especially considering that break in Breezewood, I wonder why they just don't reroute I-70 along I-68. It would make a lot more sense. But maybe traffic would increase too much and toll revenue would decrease for Pennsylvania.

Probably just inertia, especially when considering that I-68 came much later compared to those segments of I-70.  Plus if you reroute I-70, you'd have to come up with 2 3di's to cover the orphaned segments on either side of the PA Turnpike.  (or perhaps an eastern I-72 for Washington-New Stanton and a southern extension of I-99 for Breezewood-Hancock... :awesomeface:)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: TempoNick on May 11, 2021, 03:43:24 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
US-33 to Athens, then US-50 east to Clarksburg, is a good route. Very little traffic, especially between Parkersburg and Clarksburg.

I've thought about doing this long before when I was just looking at the map, but I have yet to ever use i-68 and kind of wanted to do that. Maybe different routes coming and going, but you know how it is going home. You tend to want to get home.

You could very easily combine that with I-68: Take US-33 southeast from Columbus to Athens, then take US-50 east to Clarksburg. US-50 is a four-lane highway posted at 65 mph for most of the segment between Parkersburg and Clarksburg and there is very little traffic on the road (and very few traffic lights). When you get to Clarksburg, just head north on I-79 and it'll take you directly to I-68, which you can then easily clinch on your way to DC.

Google Maps says that route is a whole nine miles longer than the I-70 > I-79 > I-68 route. Nine miles is trivial, IMO, but then I'm willing to go 100 miles out of the way just to use a new route (much to my wife's chagrin).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Columbus,+OH/Washington,+District+of+Columbia/@39.9705617,-80.9422957,8z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x883889c1b990de71:0xe43266f8cfb1b533!2m2!1d-82.9987942!2d39.9611755!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b7c6de5af6e45b:0xc2524522d4885d2a!2m2!1d-77.0368707!2d38.9071923!3e0!5i1
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

Quote from: Henry on May 11, 2021, 04:08:29 PM
I-68 may be a great way to shunpike, but that substandard section through Cumberland is a major problem for it.
When I drove I-68 this past summer, Cumberland was not an issue. You slow down for a whole 5 miles and traffic still moved 55-60+ mph despite the lower limit. There's no real reason or demand to fix it, and there's no congestion caused by it unless you have an inability to slow down from 80+ mph.

TempoNick

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 11, 2021, 04:14:33 PM
[

Probably just inertia, especially when considering that I-68 came much later compared to those segments of I-70.  Plus if you reroute I-70, you'd have to come up with 2 3di's to cover the orphaned segments on either side of the PA Turnpike. 

How about Interstate 176, 376, 576 or something like that?

TempoNick

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2021, 04:25:59 PM
I'm willing to go 100 miles out of the way just to use a new route (much to my wife's chagrin).

The nice thing about the internet is discovering that there are other oddballs out there with the same quirky interests. I've done the same thing to experience Ohio 823, US 35, US 20 in Iowa, US 33 after it was completed south of Columbus and other goofy things like that. Last fall, I detoured through Quincy, Illinois on my way to Sioux Falls, just to experience all the four laned us routes.

That's why the wife flies. Lol.

US 20 in Iowa was definitely underwhelming. I was expecting it to be a lot better than it was considering how they made a big deal about four laning it.

SkyPesos

Quote from: TempoNick on May 11, 2021, 06:36:09 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 11, 2021, 04:14:33 PM
[

Probably just inertia, especially when considering that I-68 came much later compared to those segments of I-70.  Plus if you reroute I-70, you'd have to come up with 2 3di's to cover the orphaned segments on either side of the PA Turnpike. 

How about Interstate 176, 376, 576 or something like that?
All used already.

Quote from: TempoNick on May 11, 2021, 06:41:05 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2021, 04:25:59 PM
I'm willing to go 100 miles out of the way just to use a new route (much to my wife's chagrin).

The nice thing about the internet is discovering that there are other oddballs out there with the same quirky interests. I've done the same thing to experience Ohio 823, US 35, US 20 in Iowa, US 33 after it was completed south of Columbus and other goofy things like that. Last fall, I detoured through Quincy, Illinois on my way to Sioux Falls, just to experience all the four laned us roots.

That's why the wife flies. Lol.

US 20 in Iowa was definitely underwhelming. I was expecting it to be a lot better than it was considering how they made a big deal about four laning it.
My parents are the same as the average wives mentioned in this thread lol. I wanted to use US 50 between Cincy and St Louis once because I-64 and I-70 are boring after driving each at least a dozen times, but they won't allow it.

hbelkins

Other than the roadgeekery aspect of it, I don't understand why anyone in Columbus would use US 33 and US 50 to reach Morgantown. I-70 is pretty much a straight shot east, and I-79 a straight shot south. You're traveling southeast on US 33 to get to a point where you go east on US 50 -- and Corridor D is curvier than you might expect -- only to have to drive 25 or so miles north on I-79 to get to I-68.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TempoNick

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2021, 08:18:40 PM
Other than the roadgeekery aspect of it, I don't understand why anyone in Columbus would use US 33 and US 50 to reach Morgantown.

I know more people seem to be fans of US 35 around here, but despite what people think, US 33 is a pretty good route. I've driven US 50 around Parkersburg but not further. Both of those roads have been fine every time I've driven them, so as long as they get you to your destination, they are a viable option. But if you have to go too far out of your way, then, yes, the conventional routes are the ones you should take.

But for those who haven't taken Route 33 before, once you pass Petzinger Road going south, it's pretty good, IMO.

I don't know how I'm going to explain my trip to Evansville to the wife once I-69 is complete.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.