News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: hbelkins on September 23, 2022, 11:27:07 AM
Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 02:20:23 PM
Bacon is overpriced.

Very true. You're paying a lot of money for a lot of fat.

But bacon fat is so tasty!

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on October 03, 2022, 01:09:10 PM
Bacon is overpriced.

But isn't bacon in the UK essentially pork belly without nearly as much fat?  It's absolutely not the same as bacon in the US of A, wouldn't go so far as to call it "not tasty."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 06, 2022, 01:12:43 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 03, 2022, 01:09:10 PM
Bacon is overpriced.

But isn't bacon in the UK essentially pork belly without nearly as much fat?  It's absolutely not the same as bacon in the US of A, wouldn't go so far as to call it "not tasty."

No. That's what it is in the US. Bacon in the US is a cured portion of the pork belly. Bacon in the UK is cut from the loin so it's way less fatty.

kirbykart

Minor bump:
Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2022, 09:31:17 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 21, 2022, 07:15:27 PM
MMM's posts.

Wrong thread. Quick, someone not as lazy as me find a link to the "overrated" thread.

jeffandnicole

Anything that the majority of the weight is bone, shell, or other unedible substance is overrated. King Crab Legs: You're paying for a large shell with a little meat.

skluth

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 22, 2022, 12:40:53 PM
Anything that the majority of the weight is bone, shell, or other unedible substance is overrated. King Crab Legs: You're paying for a large shell with a little meat.

You're even paying more this year due to the massive loss of king crabs in the Bering Sea. I'm not a fan either. I don't care for anything where there's that much work to get food. I prefer Maryland crab cakes because someone's done the work for me.

abefroman329

Quote from: skluth on December 22, 2022, 01:08:37 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 22, 2022, 12:40:53 PM

You're even paying more this year due to the massive loss of king crabs in the Bering Sea. I'm not a fan either. I don't care for anything where there's that much work to get food. I prefer Maryland crab cakes because someone's done the work for me.
I don't think I've ever had a crab leg where it was anywhere near as much effort to get the meat as it is with...standard crabs, whatever you call those things they love in Maryland.

dlsterner

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 22, 2022, 01:19:12 PM
I don't think I've ever had a crab leg where it was anywhere near as much effort to get the meat as it is with...standard crabs, whatever you call those things they love in Maryland.
"Blue crab" is the term you're thinking of.  And yes they are a lot of work.  I would just as soon have a crab cake instead.

kphoger

Yeah, it isn't the amount of food vsvs shell that gets me, it's the amount of work required.  By golly, if I'm paying you for dinner, then you can at least go to the trouble of getting the meat out of the animal first.

Cracking nuts is right up there too, although I did buy a bag this fall.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 22, 2022, 01:19:12 PM
Yeah, but watching a somewhat tipsy colleague bash those crabs with the hammer ...

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 06:56:55 PM
Yeah, it isn't the amount of food vsvs shell that gets me, it's the amount of work required.  By golly, if I'm paying you for dinner, then you can at least go to the trouble of getting the meat out of the animal first.

Cracking nuts is right up there too, although I did buy a bag this fall.

The other good thing about crabcakes is that I don't have to worry about accidentally ingesting whatever organ in the crab is fatal.

Cracking nuts is a great way to ensure you're eating them slowly and not just shoveling them in your mouth by the fistful.

Rothman

Lindsey Stirling
Michael Buble
Josh Groban
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on December 23, 2022, 11:24:01 AM
Lindsey Stirling
Michael Buble
Josh Groban

Someone's experiencing Christmas music fatigue.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 23, 2022, 11:36:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 23, 2022, 11:24:01 AM
Lindsey Stirling
Michael Buble
Josh Groban

Someone's experiencing Christmas music fatigue.
Nope.  Just these popping up on friend's FB posts...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Driving around to look at Christmas lights.

There.  I said it.  Now someone else please tell my wife.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2022, 03:52:45 PM
Driving around to look at Christmas lights.

There.  I said it.  Now someone else please tell my wife.

Tell that to my wife.  She's entered us in a charity race the last couple years given that's the only way to get onto Christmas Tree Lane on foot in Fig Garden Village.  Since 2020 foot traffic has been banned otherwise (reason given was COVID).  Personally I rather just drive through or go to a free lighting show that doesn't have weird rules.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2022, 04:22:17 PM
Personally I rather just drive through or ...

That's the worst.  Averaging 0.003 mph, a jacked-up diesel pickup behind you that didn't switch to parking lights, lights timed to your least favorite Christmas song, someone at the end of the cul-de-sac who doesn't know how to drive, two neighbors glaring at everyone as they desperately try to pull into their driveways after work...
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2022, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2022, 04:22:17 PM
Personally I rather just drive through or ...

That's the worst.  Averaging 0.003 mph, a jacked-up diesel pickup behind you that didn't switch to parking lights, lights timed to your least favorite Christmas song, someone at the end of the cul-de-sac who doesn't know how to drive, two neighbors glaring at everyone as they desperately try to pull into their driveways after work...

We did Cambria Pines back in 2020 and had a great time.  It was outdoor and there wasn't a bunch of NIMBY oriented rules.  I suggested Hart Park in Bakersfield this year but it was a no go.

kphoger

In no particular order...

oregano
red velvet cake
pork chops
Twinkies
biscuits
frosting
bagels
caviar
Cadbury creme eggs
oranges
Cool Whip
Champagne
popcorn
Hershey's milk chocolate
corn on the cob
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2022, 05:30:25 PM

oregano
red velvet cake
pork chops
Twinkies
biscuits
frosting
bagels
caviar
Cadbury creme eggs
oranges
Cool Whip
Champagne
popcorn
Hershey's milk chocolate
corn on the cob
Dem's fighting words.

skluth

oregano
red velvet cake
pork chops
Twinkies
biscuits
frosting
bagels
caviar
Cadbury creme eggs
oranges
Cool Whip
Champagne
popcorn
Hershey's milk chocolate
corn on the cob

Twinkies are disgusting

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on December 23, 2022, 05:58:32 PM

oregano
red velvet cake
pork chops
Twinkies
biscuits
frosting
bagels
caviar
Cadbury creme eggs
oranges
Cool Whip
Champagne
popcorn
Hershey's milk chocolate
corn on the cob

Dem's fighting words.

All of them?  !
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 24, 2022, 07:51:19 PM
Holidays in general are over-rated and an unhealthy obsession. If life was good enough that people could reasonably enjoy themselves more often, there wouldn't be such a desperate need for holidays. Plus, they lose meaning when there's 100+ of them every year.
Let people enjoy things.
Quote from: hbelkins on December 24, 2022, 06:32:00 PM
Christmas is overrated.
Same to you.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.