News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State Hwy Begin/End signs in Mass

Started by TMETSJETSYT, July 08, 2022, 07:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMETSJETSYT

So this is something that confuses me every time I leave/enter Mass. Why do they have these weird State highway ends/begins signs when you leave or enter Mass? Do they have to do this? Because I never see them in any other states. Idk how to insert images, but if someone could answer me, that would be great.
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

hotdogPi

These signs mean to begin or end state maintenance, and they have nothing to do with route numbering. They do seem pointless at state lines, though. (Many of them aren't at state lines.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MATraveler128

They are more commonly used before a state highways reaches a downtown area which I believe means that the town is responsible for maintenance vs the state.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

JayhawkCO

I originally read this thread title "State Hwy Begin/End signs En Masse".

roadman

Quote from: 1 on July 08, 2022, 07:13:25 AM
These signs mean to begin or end state maintenance, and they have nothing to do with route numbering. They do seem pointless at state lines, though. (Many of them aren't at state lines.)

Secondary roads at many MA state borders are local jurisdiction, not state.  So yes, the signs have a purpose.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 08, 2022, 08:08:22 AM
They are more commonly used before a state highways reaches a downtown area which I believe means that the town is responsible for maintenance vs the state.
I wouldn't say more common. I see them equally for both.

MASTERNC

Vermont has similar signs going into towns

pderocco

Quote from: roadman on July 08, 2022, 01:00:01 PM

Secondary roads at many MA state borders are local jurisdiction, not state.  So yes, the signs have a purpose.

Not sure whose purpose is served. What driver finds this information useful? I grew up there and learned to drive there, and it always seemed like pointless signage to me.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: pderocco on July 09, 2022, 01:46:42 AM

Not sure whose purpose is served. What driver finds this information useful? I grew up there and learned to drive there, and it always seemed like pointless signage to me.

Massachusetts (and New England) and its people are quite turf-conscious. The signs are another way of a municipality or state saying "not my problem"  when it comes to maintenance.

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 09, 2022, 05:45:59 AM

Massachusetts (and New England) and its people are quite turf-conscious. The signs are another way of a municipality or state saying "not my problem"  when it comes to maintenance.
They're also helpful for start/end points for construction work for contractors.

Signage isn't always about the drivers...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

In Provincetown they're used to denote the beginning/end of federal jurisdiction of US 6. So that seems kinda important.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 09, 2022, 05:18:22 PM
In Provincetown they're used to denote the beginning/end of federal jurisdiction of US 6. So that seems kinda important.
In what way?  Just where it crosses the National Seashore property?

Outside of the feds owning property that roads traverse, there really isn't geographic "federal jurisdiction," other than their sign-off on federal funds that are used in State and local capital projects.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on July 09, 2022, 05:39:42 PM
Yes

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 09, 2022, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 09, 2022, 05:39:42 PM
Yes
In practice, then it's not any different than indicating where State maintenance ends, then.  Either the local or the Fed has responsibility after that point.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on July 09, 2022, 09:52:20 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 09, 2022, 05:45:59 AM

They're also helpful for start/end points for construction work for contractors.

Signage isn't always about the drivers...

Also helpful on whether it's legal to park on the road or not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.