News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Un/Popular TV Opinions

Started by Henry, August 09, 2022, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Spinning off the automotive opinions thread with one for TV:

-NBC is the best network ever; it was a sad day when they lost the NBA, and I wish they could get it back
-Fox Sports > ESPN
-CBS Mornings is a lazy name for an AM news program
-MTV is a joke now! They don't show music videos like they used to
-Ditto for VH1 (but at least it airs Behind the Music)
-GSN's programming is utter crap
-Disney should've never bought ABC. They destroyed its classic TGIF lineup, which is totally unforgivable
-"Sitcoms" without a laugh track can't be called sitcoms
-All series should have a 7-season limit
-Wheel of Fortune > Jeopardy!

I'd like to see what you have to add to this.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

I haven't watched a live TV program that wasn't sports in over 5 years, and I'm better off for it. That's probably an unpopular opinion here.

Takumi

Frasier is the best sitcom of the 1990s.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on August 09, 2022, 01:00:41 PM-GSN's programming is utter crap
All of the classic shows that used to be on GSN are probably on Buzzr now.
Quote from: Henry on August 09, 2022, 01:00:41 PM-"Sitcoms" without a laugh track can't be called sitcoms
If you're not taping it live in front of a studio audience, then don't add a laugh track.  You're telling the audience what is/isn't funny, and how funny it is, and it's not up to you.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Henry on August 09, 2022, 01:00:41 PM
Spinning off the automotive opinions thread with one for TV:

-NBC is the best network ever; it was a sad day when they lost the NBA, and I wish they could get it back
-Fox Sports > ESPN
-CBS Mornings is a lazy name for an AM news program
-Ditto for VH1 (but at least it airs Behind the Music)
-GSN's programming is utter crap
-Disney should've never bought ABC. They destroyed its classic TGIF lineup, which is totally unforgivable
-"Sitcoms" without a laugh track can't be called sitcoms
-All series should have a 7-season limit

I'd like to see what you have to add to this.

Wait! VH1 still shows "Behind the Music"?? I loved that show! Thanks for letting me know!

OCGuy81

A few that come to mind for me.

- Friends was incredibly overrated.  The jokes were recycled from numerous sitcoms, and you could see them coming from a mile away.

- The Simpsons should've ended around 2000.

- As much as I love the NFL, we really don't need Thursday Night Football.  Generally, they're pretty mediocre matchups.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 09, 2022, 02:32:10 PM
- As much as I love the NFL, we really don't need Thursday Night Football.  Generally, they're pretty mediocre matchups.

The 2011-present advent of season-long Thursday night football is the pinpoint moment my interest in the sport took its first major hit. In my view, the NFL played the scarcity model to perfection. You got your Sunday games and MNF, and by the time MNF was over, next Sunday felt a long way away. I didn't mind the Thanksgiving games or the occasional late-season Thursday special, and I loved those end-of-season Saturday games. But the full season Thursday football suddenly made it feel like all the other sports where you can watch it whenever you want because it's always on.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CoreySamson

TV and movies in general are overrated. Outside of occasionally watching stuff on Disney+, I haven't really watched anything of note since February 2020. My life has probably been better because of it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

elsmere241

I agree on The Simpsons.  I got out of the habit of watching it in 2002 when I was living with my parents and my own TV was in storage, and never got back in the habit.  In fact, while I watched Fox all the time for a while, I hardly ever do now except for sports.

Young Sheldon was great when The Big Bang Theory was winding down, but it's become more of a soap opera.  It won't be "must-see" for me this fall.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 09, 2022, 01:02:45 PM
I haven't watched a live TV program that wasn't sports in over 5 years, and I'm better off for it. That's probably an unpopular opinion here.

I would call it uncommon, but not necessarily unpopular. I don't think anybody is going to dislike that you don't watch TV.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

formulanone

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 09, 2022, 01:02:45 PM

I'm close to that, Game of Thrones was probably the last TV series I watched live (or a few days later), and the only one in the last 10 years (that I can think of) that wasn't solely on a dedicated steaming platform. I honestly can't recall the last network TV series that I watched with any regularity, save maybe few scattered episodes of The Simpsons or King of the Hill.

I grew up in one of those families in which I watched one cartoon in the afternoon if it was a rainy day. We watched the news nearly every night, one TV program if homework permitted, and perhaps one or two sporting events/movies during a weekend. Never got into sitcoms and drama for very long...I get tired of the artifice very quickly.

For about six weeks in 2020, I think I watched more TV than I had in the previous 5-10 years. My extended family and co-workers mostly enjoy streaming stuff but I'd rather do most anything but watch TV, unless I'm sick, bored, or spending some time with the kids (like them, I'd rather watch cartoons).

kenarmy

-Living Single is underrated af. and it's much better than Friends.
-RHOP is the best housewives franchise now, although RHOA has always been the best but it's been in decline since season 10.
-Idc.. I will never get tired of watching Law & Order: SVU. I've had trouble trying to grasp what's happening in Chris Meloni's spin off though..
-Dylan Dreyer>>>
-Cbs is a little gross.
-I loveeee watching TVONE. I'm upset they air the C*sby Show in the morning now and pushed Living Single back even though I love both.
-I forgot that Megyn Kelly existed and I'm glad.
-I still prefer Cable  :meh:.
-NFL is grossly overrated.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

triplemultiplex

Woah, shots fired! :-D

Disney should have never been allowed to absorb Fox.  I can't stand that all these great animated shows I've loved for years are now attached to that behemoth of milquetoast and saccharine.

Cable news is unwatchable, regardless of its ideological bent.

Everyone who actually enjoys shit like The Masked Singer should be sterilized.  (Or if they're too old, euthanized.)

There is no need for more than one hour of pregame show on an NFL Sunday.  When did it become a thing to have a pregame show before the pregame show with a different cast of talking heads blabbing about whatever?

There should be a law against making "syndication cuts" from old TV shows.  When they remove content so they can cram in more ads, they are defacing someone's art, and that's not cool.  That's like chopping off the corner of a painting so you can stick the face of some ambulance-chasing lawyer there.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 10, 2022, 01:27:57 PM
Cable news is unwatchable, regardless of its ideological bent.

Cable news is nice when there's actually breaking news, as in something just happened and you can get live reporting. Of course that's not anywhere near 24 hours of the day, so they have to fill other time and ideological hot takes are what get ratings during those other times.

Sports talk radio/TV is essentially the same. Great if there's breaking news but if not then you get ridiculous takes because that's what generates buzz.

Everyone who actually enjoys shit like The Masked Singer should be sterilized.  (Or if they're too old, euthanized.)

There is no need for more than one hour of pregame show on an NFL Sunday.  When did it become a thing to have a pregame show before the pregame show with a different cast of talking heads blabbing about whatever?

If you don't like it, want it or need it, then don't watch. Why do you care what other people watch and enjoy? I think the Kardashians, Real Housewives, the Bachelor, are ridiculous shows that make people dumber for watching, but if other people enjoy it I don't really care.

There should be a law against making "syndication cuts" from old TV shows.  When they remove content so they can cram in more ads, they are defacing someone's art, and that's not cool.  That's like chopping off the corner of a painting so you can stick the face of some ambulance-chasing lawyer there.

Cable has more minutes per hour of commercials than broadcast. It's either cut content or have weird start times. This is becoming less relevant anyway as most stuff is available on streaming services.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 10, 2022, 01:44:05 PM

If you don't like it, want it or need it, then don't watch. Why do you care what other people watch and enjoy? I think the Kardashians, Real Housewives, the Bachelor, are ridiculous shows that make people dumber for watching, but if other people enjoy it I don't really care.

I mean, there's an argument to be made that things that make society dumber are worthy of being shamed. It's not like we need the help.

There was even a study alleging that watching things like SpongeBob made kids dumber and gave them impulse control issues.

LilianaUwU

That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

As for opinions I do have myself:

- I also think the Simpsons should've ended, though my cutoff point is a bit later, when the movie released in 2007.
- There's so many streaming services being offered that piracy is a better option most of the time.
- Big Mouth... where do I begin?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SP Cook

- 99.847% of the value in ESPN and its imitators in in live sports.  No one really cares what the hot take of the day is, regardless of his or her politics.

- Fox and NBC advertise NASCAR using highlights that cannot happen under today's idiot rules.  Which shows what idiots both those running NASCAR and those paying them for the TV rights are.

- The NBA really isn't that popular.  If they put it behind a paywall on streaming, at a buck/game, it would get 300K views.

- Anyone who believes that reality shows are not 100% fake has never been camping.

- I wish I had known that watching other people play poker was interesting. 

- I wish I had known that watching other people do blue collar work was interesting.

- Sunday Night football should start 15 minutes after the last 4:00 game is over, every week.

- If Carson was a 100, then Letterman, before he got bitter and political, was a solid 75.  Nobody currently in those jobs is a 5.

- People that say streaming will replace regular linear TV are dopes.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SP Cook on August 10, 2022, 03:26:19 PM

It already has for a good segment of the population. Maybe not your demographic.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 10, 2022, 03:38:03 PM

It already has for a good segment of the population. Maybe not your demographic.

Streaming will never 100% replace traditional television because the broadcast networks will never go away. Relying solely on an internet connection to provide information without the ability to broadcast over the air is not something that we'll likely ever see.

Streaming is already replacing cable channels though. NBC discontinued NBCSN so they could put more content on Peacock and USA. You'll likely see other cable channels start to disappear. There are many that I'm surprised still exist.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 10, 2022, 04:29:47 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 10, 2022, 03:38:03 PM

Streaming will never 100% replace traditional television because the broadcast networks will never go away. Relying solely on an internet connection to provide information without the ability to broadcast over the air is not something that we'll likely ever see.

Streaming is already replacing cable channels though. NBC discontinued NBCSN so they could put more content on Peacock and USA. You'll likely see other cable channels start to disappear. There are many that I'm surprised still exist.

Sure, but let me give you an analogy. Cell phones have "replaced" landlines. Sure, landlines still exist, but basically they have been made largely obsolete. The same will happen with over the air TV programming. I see radio exists in its current form much more than I can see TV.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 10, 2022, 01:44:05 PM

Because the networks constantly plug their shitty reality game shows during football games and it drives me up the wall.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

In_Correct

I might participate in this as I think of Unpopular Opinions that should be Popular.

Here Is One:

King Of The Hill Must Return, Some How. Ideally, with out Disney A.B.C. Involved. Disney A.B.C. occasionally sells things that they acquire such as The Incredible World Of DiC. It existed independently for a few years, even expanding to include Second Run Syndication of The Berenstain Bears Show ... of which the edits that they made was adding "DiC" style Plugs and Bumpers. The Incredible World Of DiC was acquired by several Canadian Companies, which were also acquired by several Canadian Companies.

As for Second Run Syndication Cuts and other laws to keep things from Dumbing Down Societies And Contributing To Civilian Delinquencies:

It has been happening recently. King Of The Hill is example. Just watch how wrong of directions they took in the newer episodes. Things that Hank ought to say "BWAH!!" about he no longer is in the new episodes. If they brought back King Of The Hill, it must not be Disney A.B.C., and it must not be passive.

Another example is Concentration. Discarded be cause of the reputation of Lost Game Shows, they have only recently reran Concentration. BUZZR (with no E) is editing out the Promotional Considerations resulting in less Johnny Olson to remember. It is unlikely that the Master Copies are being digitized in their entirety. Perhaps Wink Martindale can acquire Master Copies of Concentration and other game shows they do not want peoples to watch be cause they are Too Cerebral.

When they revived Concentration in the 1980s, as with all the other Game Shows, they were Dumbed Down. The Original (not "Original Gangster") Solenoid Operated Game Board and Casual Yet Intellectual Atmosphere that Concentration has results in a game show that is advanced. Classic Concentration has a Computerized Game Board, which is going to look bad. And the game board was Dumbed Down from 30 to 25.

That was in the 1980s. However, it was no where near as bad as News Feed & Weed.

As for "Wheel Versus J!" I agree that Wheel Of Fortune is best. However, if we debate it, Chuck Woolery, Susan Strafford, and Art Fleming are best. I am disgusted that Pat Sajak called Law Enforcement on that winning contestant as he hates hugs. Even Bill Cullen did not turn away excited contestants. In fact, Bill Cullen knew how to handle any situation. Pat does not. About the annoyance of the Game Boards: Concentration used Solenoids. However, why did Wheel, the same age as Jack Narz's Concentration, take nearly 25 years to update their paralyzed game board ?! And Jeopardy! is even worse embarrassment: The Art Fleming Jeopardy! ended up with back lit pull cards behind glass. Gold With Blue Text, not Blue With Gold Text ... in other words The Blue Screen Of Death. And other parts of Jeopardy! are dumbed down such as the requirement to finish the Clue. Those people at Jeopardy! think they are so smart. If any body has episodes of Chuck, Susan, and Art: guard them with your lives. Califon Enterprises and Sony do not want you to watch them. Instead, they want you to watch Dumbed Down Game Shows With Antisocial Emcees.

Here Is Another One:

Those Song & Dance Contests Must Be Expanded. Every body thinks they know how to compose music, sing, and dance. They All Suck. The last time I actively watched any Cable Channels was 2007, possibly 2008. Every time I see it, I might throw up. Seriously if they could include every person auditioning and have The Judges chide them about how terrible they are I would probably try to watch them be humiliated. Perhaps I ought to be a Judge to tell them how much they suck. And then perhaps there would be more Susan Boyles and less Drug Addicts.

Another?:

Maury Also Sucks. He thinks he is helping people ?? Maury has plenty of new Clients every day. He has so many clients, not even Connie would be able to help him handle the case load. Strike It Rich was bad. Maury is not unlike Strike It Rich. It Is Disturbing To Watch Maury.

Okay One More:

Bring Back One Ho Productions. We need to have The Hollywood Squares, and produced by Whoopi.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

epzik8

NASCAR on Fox > NASCAR on NBC
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

formulanone

Quote from: epzik8 on August 10, 2022, 06:04:38 PM
NASCAR on Fox > NASCAR on NBC

NASCAR on ESPN, before 2001 > the rest

skluth

I'll start with the big one: I actually enjoyed the last season of Game of Thrones even though it was the most poorly written (Especially that last episode. I mean, the best stories. Really?). I usually spend my evenings watching documentaries, most often on Curiosity Stream or Nebula. I'd rather slit my wrists than watch "reality television." The only major network show I watch is Colbert which I DVR and watch the monologue the next morning; I haven't watched prime time since BBT went off the air. Otherwise, I only watch the major networks for news and sports. I do like several ESPN shows, especially Around the Horn and PTI, but don't lose sleep if I miss them. The only ESPN personalities I find truly grating are Stephen A Smith and especially "Mad Dog" Russo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.