News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NBC to Drop 10 PM Hour???

Started by Henry, August 30, 2022, 12:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Of course, the problem with streaming is that if at any time the streaming service figures that the royalties/residuals they have to pay to host a show exceeds the amount they get in new subscriptions from hosting it, they can just delete it. Of course, shows got cancelled on network TV all the time, and that meant no more would be made. But since the streaming service still has the rights to the show that they're merely not exercising, that means that not only will no more be made, but nobody can legally watch the extant episodes until those rights expire (if they ever do).

In a way we're going back to the days of the pre-VCR era, where once your favorite show stopped being shown, you would never see it again. But today's viewers are used to being able to at least buy a DVD of what existed of their favorite prematurely-cancelled show. They're not likely to adjust well to "the streaming service decides you can't watch it anymore and that's final".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2022, 04:09:55 AM
Of course, the problem with streaming is that if at any time the streaming service figures that the royalties/residuals they have to pay to host a show exceeds the amount they get in new subscriptions from hosting it, they can just delete it. Of course, shows got cancelled on network TV all the time, and that meant no more would be made. But since the streaming service still has the rights to the show that they're merely not exercising, that means that not only will no more be made, but nobody can legally watch the extant episodes until those rights expire (if they ever do).

In a way we're going back to the days of the pre-VCR era, where once your favorite show stopped being shown, you would never see it again. But today's viewers are used to being able to at least buy a DVD of what existed of their favorite prematurely-cancelled show. They're not likely to adjust well to "the streaming service decides you can't watch it anymore and that's final".

You just happen to not name any particular particular streaming service, are you? One can only hope that those actions result in a renewed interest in physical media.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

elsmere241

I want to know how things will be shaken up once Nexstar takes control of the CW, of which it just upped its stake to 75%.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

hbelkins

The fact that there are no terrestrial radio stations in my area that are worth listening to in my area plays a huge role in the fact that I don't listen to much radio.

The advent of customizable portable music -- players onto which one can load dozens upon dozens of albums -- makes the need for music over the air even less crucial for entertainment.

I've dropped satellite radio, but I rarely listened to the music channels on it even when I had it -- and it was definitely easier to receive than terrestrial stations in my area -- because I tend to listen to albums. I don't even put my MP3 player on "shuffle" mode. I'll play albums straight through and skip songs I don't like.

As far as talk radio goes, my understanding is that Travis and Sexton are the "official" successors to Limbaugh on his "EIB Network" of syndicated affiliates. I think most of the iHeart-owned stations play their program from noon to 3 Eastern.

OTOH, I have migrated to Bongino for talk radio in that time slot. Since reception in my area is so bad -- for both the former EIB broadcast and Bongino stations -- I listen to Bongino on the iHeart app via a couple of Cumulus-owned stations. I'm a bit surprised that Cumulus uses iHeart and doesn't have its own streaming app.

To me, Bongino is the true Limbaugh heir. His attitude seems to be harder-edged than Limbaugh's was.

Local radio in my area? Mostly country music and terrible local announcers. "Tradio" and "swap shop" and those type shows don't interest me in the least.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2022, 08:36:38 PMLocal radio in my area? Mostly country music and terrible local announcers. "Tradio" and "swap shop" and those type shows don't interest me in the least.

Isn't 94.5 really clear there? I know it doesn't have any listeners anymore like it used to, but I was actually able to get it here.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on September 01, 2022, 08:41:11 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2022, 08:36:38 PMLocal radio in my area? Mostly country music and terrible local announcers. "Tradio" and "swap shop" and those type shows don't interest me in the least.

Isn't 94.5 really clear there? I know it doesn't have any listeners anymore like it used to, but I was actually able to get it here.

Nope. It's very static-y.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on September 02, 2022, 11:23:52 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on September 01, 2022, 08:41:11 PM

Nope. It's very static-y.

It probably used to be better. I used to listen to it when it was WLAP-FM, and they always talked about how they had people calling in from Owsley County, Lee County, Morehead, Flemingsburg, Maysville, etc. They once said someone called from Portsmouth, Ohio, and another time from Bedford, Indiana. They had someone who listened from Quicksand in Breathitt County. I could even pick it up on my small clock radio in Highland Heights, and it was even clearer on car radios and boom boxes.

I have a terrible time getting some of the Cincinnati stations now, but 94.5 in Lexington used to be really clear.

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2022, 08:36:38 PMThe fact that there are no terrestrial radio stations in my area that are worth listening to in my area plays a huge role in the fact that I don't listen to much radio.

Since moving to the DFW market 3½ years ago, I've only listened to one terrestrial station: WRR 101 which has classical music on it. I do have the EAS stations WBAP and KSCS set on my radios, but otherwise don't listen to them. I had given up on terrestrial radio when it felt like I was getting 15 minutes of actual content, and 45 minutes of commercials and jib-jabbering. While I have Radio Garden installed in my phone, I'm more likely to listen to my Plex Media Server or Apple Music. SiriusXM is being cancelled at the end of the month.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bing101

Consider this one if your TV and Internet provider is Xfinity expect their sales staff to push the peacock app as part of their sales if you get TV or Internet service from them.

https://www.xfinity.com/local/ca/sacramento

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bing101 on September 04, 2022, 10:09:04 AM
Consider this one if your TV and Internet provider is Xfinity expect their sales staff to push the peacock app as part of their sales if you get TV or Internet service from them.

https://www.xfinity.com/local/ca/sacramento

My internet/tv provider is Xfinity and the free Peacock is a nice perk.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

bandit957

I have read that the reason Fox doesn't have a 10 PM hour is that this exempts its affiliates from FCC rules that apply to network affiliates. According to the FCC, it's not a network unless it has a 10 PM hour.

From what I recall (and I don't know if this is still true), network affiliates have to fill the 7 PM hour with first-run programs, like current news or things like 'Entertainment Tonight'. They can't show old sitcom reruns that might bring higher ratings. But Fox affiliates can.

kevinb1994

Quote from: bandit957 on September 04, 2022, 10:15:12 AM
I have read that the reason Fox doesn't have a 10 PM hour is that this exempts its affiliates from FCC rules that apply to network affiliates. According to the FCC, it's not a network unless it has a 10 PM hour.

From what I recall (and I don't know if this is still true), network affiliates have to fill the 7 PM hour with first-run programs, like current news or things like 'Entertainment Tonight'. They can't show old sitcom reruns that might bring higher ratings. But Fox affiliates can.
That's how I was able to catch up on old Seinfeld episodes back when they led right into American Idol. Of course, after changing the channel from something like ABC to FOX.

Big John

Is this why when Fox has a sporting event that will run through the 10 PM ET hour, they always have a pregame show starting at 7 PM ET?

bandit957

Quote from: Big John on September 04, 2022, 09:30:12 PMIs this why when Fox has a sporting event that will run through the 10 PM ET hour, they always have a pregame show starting at 7 PM ET?

That might have something to do with it. It might have also had something to do with CBS having '60 Minutes' at 7 PM on Sundays.

Stephane Dumas

They can't show old sitcom reruns that might bring higher ratings. But Fox affiliates can.

As Archie and Edith Bunker might says: "those were the days". ;) 

And there was a time when some affiliates stations like CKVR in Barrie, Ontario (who beginned as a CBC affiliate and now a CTV-2 affiliate) also produced other shows besides news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymtMSm36YY

ErmineNotyours

I was lucky to have The Arseno Hall Show on a Fox affiliate for most of its early run.  They didn't have news on that station, so the show started at the reasonable hour of 10:00.  Maybe they'll move the NBC late night talk shows up an hour, or leave it to the affiliates to decide.  Here in Seattle, the NBC affiliate already has news at 10 on the co-owned KONG.  With NBC going off at 10, perhaps the other station will add another talk show to their schedule.

I stopped listening to music radio shortly after leaving college, in the early 1990s.  I was driven away from CHR radio by "I Will Always Love You" and "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You", the themes from two Kevin Costner movies.  This coincided with the decline of the vinyl single, without another viable single format for a while.  Instead of playlists being driven by sales, the playlists were now decided by the suits, and that meant that fewer hits stuck around until long after you were sick of them.  Everyone stops following current music after leaving college and growing up.  It would have been something or another that drove me away from the radio, but the death of the vinyl single is my excuse.

Scott5114

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 12, 2022, 03:28:54 AM
Everyone stops following current music after leaving college and growing up.

I don't know that that's universally true. I still get exposed to current music through things like intercom systems, and I'll listen to current music on over-the-air radio on occasion. There's a lot I don't like, but every once in a while I'll find something new that's good enough I would buy it (if I were in the habit of doing so).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DenverBrian

Don't know why the news article speculates that Jimmy Fallon would move from 1135 PM ET. If NBC gives the local affiliates the 10 PM hour but then takes half of it back by moving Fallon to 1030 PM ET, it's not a net win for the affiliates.

I'd expect Fallon will remain right where he is, and the affiliates will provide a "news at 10"/"news at 11" (ET) format, using the same anchors (they do more work but get paid the same), same set (no additional cost), and all that extra ad revenue from Honest Al's Used Cars.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 12, 2022, 07:30:07 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 12, 2022, 03:28:54 AM
Everyone stops following current music after leaving college and growing up.

I don't know that that's universally true. I still get exposed to current music through things like intercom systems, and I'll listen to current music on over-the-air radio on occasion. There's a lot I don't like, but every once in a while I'll find something new that's good enough I would buy it (if I were in the habit of doing so).

Definitely not true in my case. Once I was out of college (December 1983) and had more disposable income, I purchased more music -- specifically, more NEW music, as I spent my high school and college years collecting the back catalogs of artists I had discovered.

This continued until about 2001 or so, when I began to discover that new artists were nowhere near as good as the artists I already liked. I'm having trouble discovering the 2022 heirs to Rush, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metalllica, etc.

In the last 20 years I've acquired more new releases from artists I already liked than I have releases from new artists.

There's a reason people who came of age in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s say music isn't the same as it used to be.

NJRoadfan

NBC cutting 10pm is going to be another failure......again. Comcast can't even GIVE AWAY Peacock. Even with the free Peacock Premium bundled with their internet service, the actual viewership is pretty damned low. No real growth in the service

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/comcast-nbcuniversal-second-quarter-earnings-peacock-1235187274/

Regarding radio, the consolidation in ownership did a good job of killing it. The only decent part of the radio dial is if you are lucky enough to have a college radio station that plays whatever it wants. I long gave up on OTA radio when my tasted changed to niche genres of music. Even satellite radio managed to screw up. Both Sirius and XM started out with a wide variety of music programming only to be consolidated into a whole bunch of rock/pop variations and payola "artist" channels.

Just as technology enabled OTA TV and radio to expand their programming (digital broadcasts with subchannels), they managed to blow it.

elsmere241

Yeah, I find myself flipping around on the radio dial a lot, and I only listen when I'm in the car.  The one station I stop at a lot is a college station, whose format is "music that matters", basically anything from the late 60s on that was a hit.

hbelkins

I'm not so sure about "college radio." Most of the official college stations that can be picked up in this area are NPR affiliates (gag) from Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky universities. A lot of national lack-of-passion talk -- NPR talk shows have always been, to me, a good insomnia cure -- and classical music.

I guess the bigger schools have lower-power student-run stations staffed by volunteers, where the type of music played depends on the DJ's preferences. UK had one back in the late 1980s/early 1990s that couldn't be picked up until you got near Richmond, and it quickly faded going south on I-75 past Berea. The Friday noontime DJ was a metal fan. At the time I was having to make a weekly Friday run from Irvine to London via Richmond, so I got to listen to that station. If I was still in range when the DJ changed, it was usually an abrupt change in musical styles.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on September 13, 2022, 12:03:12 PM
I'm not so sure about "college radio." Most of the official college stations that can be picked up in this area are NPR affiliates (gag) from Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky universities. A lot of national lack-of-passion talk -- NPR talk shows have always been, to me, a good insomnia cure -- and classical music.

I guess the bigger schools have lower-power student-run stations staffed by volunteers, where the type of music played depends on the DJ's preferences.

In WV, NPR is as you describe, classical music (AKA a musical genre that cannot make it on the free market, so its fans demand taxwaste for it) and NPR's take on the news (which isn't very different from the MSM).

However this is unrelated to the colleges.  The state's two real universities have student run stations, WMUL and WWVU, which play music as you describe, plus some talk shows where they will let anybody try their hand so you get a lot of wingnut types, and people wanting to be sportscasters so they do all the not football and not men's basketball sports. 

The deal is that, before automation ruined local radio, you could volunteer at these places and learn a useful skill, in front of the mike or on the tech side.  I know a lot of people who learned the radio business at WMUL, went back home to the small towns, and who could moonlight at the local radio station for some $$.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.