News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A Roadtrip Through the Congo

Started by Dougtone, November 24, 2010, 10:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

JREwing78

They're absolutely nuts. That's probably a desirable attribute in someone seeking to do this. ;-)

Alps

yanksfan6129

Gach. I was on page 40 of this and suddenly that website stopped working on my browser...

So interesting!

corco

That really stokes my inner wanderlust fires. Great find.

iwishiwascanadian

I finished the whole thing yesterday, it was riveting. 

I went to Google maps and looked at parts of their route from satellite and it makes the trip seem even more amazing.
Congo supposedly has 60 million people. There has been only one census so who really knows but I would sure like to know where they are.It really looks like true wilderness there still

Scott5114

An amazing story. It really goes to show you the benefits of having good roads (think of that other truck that was stuck waiting for parts for a year!)...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

DR Congo covers a rather large area, and the large cities are pretty populous with shanty towns. There's also a lot of refugee camps. There's also not a developed economy meaning that there's not a huge amount of travel. You'd have a lot of people near to the River Congo, which the road doesn't really follow. Plus it's probably sensible to stay away from major highways, given the war-torn nature of the country.

There are apparently has 70.9 million people, not 60, and given that the population density is just 75.9ppl/sq mi. The (rather sparsely populated - especially away from the Pacific in the West) United States has 83 people/sq mi and the UK has 660. There's plenty of room for these people that you wouldn't see many.

Given all that, one would imagine it's pretty empty looking along the road.

mightyace

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 26, 2010, 05:57:56 PM
An amazing story. It really goes to show you the benefits of having good roads (think of that other truck that was stuck waiting for parts for a year!)...

It put's into perspective our grumbling about potholes, I-99 and Breezewood!

Not that we shouldn't fix our potholes and such but, warts and all, the USA has one of the best road networks on the planet.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

The Premier

Quote from: mightyace on December 01, 2010, 10:48:09 AM
the USA has one of the best road networks on the planet.

But not for long if we can't get our roads and bridges fixed.
Alex P. Dent

Sykotyk

It was definitely an interesting read.

mightyace

Quote from: The Premier on December 01, 2010, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: mightyace on December 01, 2010, 10:48:09 AM
the USA has one of the best road networks on the planet.

But not for long if we can't get our roads and bridges fixed.

Agreed.  I was thinking about saying something about that myself, but that is a subject for a different thread.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

Even so, it would probably take a half century of neglect before the US road network could even begin to sink to Congo's level.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.