News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway schedules opening November 15, 2017

Started by Kniwt, February 20, 2017, 11:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

The highway from Inuvik to Tuk, and the two ferry crossings on the Dempster Highway needed to get to Inuvik, are now open with advisories, per this morning's GNWT highway conditions report.

I hope this is soon enough for corco to make his own trip. I still plan to wait until August for my trip up there, since now I have other plans for this month.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: oscar on June 02, 2018, 01:01:38 PM
The highway from Inuvik to Tuk, and the two ferry crossings on the Dempster Highway needed to get to Inuvik, are now open with advisories, per this morning's GNWT highway conditions report.

I hope this is soon enough for corco to make his own trip. I still plan to wait until August for my trip up there, since now I have other plans for this month.
I think corco already decided to bail on it based on highway conditions at that time. It still needs to be rebuilt to true all-season capabilities.

oscar

Quote from: Alps on June 02, 2018, 11:14:44 PM
It still needs to be rebuilt to true all-season capabilities.

I think the maintenance crews working on the road later this month plan to take care of unfinished business left over from last November when the road was opened (mainly adding and compacting gravel), not exactly a full rebuild. Once they're done, I'll check in with the rental car company on whether they'll let me drive one of their vehicles to Tuk.

The current conditions between Inuvik and Tuk sound, from the road conditions site, no worse than the Dempster Highway from the Yukon border to Inuvik, which has been open for decades. So maybe some progress has been made already on getting the Tuk road tourist-friendly.

CBC reported yesterday that the highway was being reopened, but with a weight limit of 5000 kilograms (about 5.5 tons) which will keep off most trucks for now. The accompanying photo (which might have been taken before the pre-reopening work on the highway) is not encouraging, showing lots of mud and deep ruts.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: oscar on June 02, 2018, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 02, 2018, 11:14:44 PM
It still needs to be rebuilt to true all-season capabilities.

I think the maintenance crews working on the road later this month plan to take care of unfinished business left over from last November when the road was opened (mainly adding and compacting gravel), not exactly a full rebuild. Once they're done, I'll check in with the rental car company on whether they'll let me drive one of their vehicles to Tuk.

The current conditions between Inuvik and Tuk sound, from the road conditions site, no worse than the Dempster Highway from the Yukon border to Inuvik, which has been open for decades. So maybe some progress has been made already on getting the Tuk road tourist-friendly.

CBC reported yesterday that the highway was being reopened, but with a weight limit of 5000 kilograms (about 5.5 tons) which will keep off most trucks for now. The accompanying photo (which might have been taken before the pre-reopening work on the highway) is not encouraging, showing lots of mud and deep ruts.
That rutting looks worse than the top 50 miles of the Dalton. That's not something I'd traverse in a passenger car.
At least, I've heard, the two ferries are now open so it is possible to even get to Inuvik.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.