News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PEI's first freeway segment?

Started by froggie, August 14, 2018, 11:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on October 22, 2019, 09:14:35 AM
I don't think it's possible to argue, for example, that NY 104 from Williamson to Wolcott is not a Super 2.

Sure it is. NY-104 is not a Super 2.

oscar

I drove the Cornwall Bypass earlier today. Some quick notes, with more to follow:

-- The bypass is two lanes undivided with some passing lanes. One interchange in the middle, plus one at its west end (the east end is at a roundabout). And no at-grade intersections. I would call it a freeway, and a Super 2 at that.

-- No obvious plans or potential for expansion or extension. I drove it westbound during Charlottetown's rush hour, no problem handling the volume.

-- No exit numbers. There will be exit numbers on Saskatchewan's soon-to-open Regina Bypass. That might leave PEI as the only province with a freeway but no exit numbers.

-- 90 km/h posted speed limit. That's the max I've seen on other parts of the TCH in PEI, and IIRC on any other PEI highway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 22, 2019, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 22, 2019, 09:14:35 AM
I don't think it's possible to argue, for example, that NY 104 from Williamson to Wolcott is not a Super 2.
Sure it is. NY-104 is not a Super 2.

That's just a (false) statement, not an argument.

Rothman

Hm.  I liked PEI when I visited it back in the late 1980s. 

A bypass?  Sounds like PEI has built up considerably and I wonder if it has been for the better.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on October 22, 2019, 09:18:36 PM
Hm.  I liked PEI when I visited it back in the late 1980s. 

A bypass?  Sounds like PEI has built up considerably and I wonder if it has been for the better.
Mostly around Ctown, and not enough to destroy the island's character that I've noticed.

ghYHZ

Here...take a drive....(found this posted on YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGG7Ap9UETs

Hope to get over to the Island this weekend for a drive.

X99

And with that video, I have marked the Cornwall Bypass on OpenStreetMap as open between its east end and the Cornwall Road interchange, tagged as a motorway. Everything west of the interchange is still marked with construction tags because the west end needs to be redrawn and I don't know what it looks like.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

paulthemapguy

Wow!  I didn't realize when I drove across PEI on October 1st that I'd be within one month's time of the new freeway opening!  I tried to take some pictures driving through there, but this was the only good one that turned out.  This photo shows the westbound on-ramp at the western end of the new freeway.  Flaggers routed us around the two new roundabouts at the interchange.

Sections of TCH-1 on the north and northwest sides of Charlottetown are super-2-esque in nature, too, but with no ramps to make it plainly obvious (see the overpass over Provincial Highway 236).

IMG_4347 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

oscar

Quote from: X99 on October 23, 2019, 12:32:59 PM
And with that video, I have marked the Cornwall Bypass on OpenStreetMap as open between its east end and the Cornwall Road interchange, tagged as a motorway. Everything west of the interchange is still marked with construction tags because the west end needs to be redrawn and I don't know what it looks like.

Since it's open to traffic, why mark it with construction tags? The part west of the interchange needs some corrections, mainly to show the interchange at the west end, and eliminate the supposed at-grade intersections. But the greater error is to show it as not yet open to traffic.

The interchange at the west end is roughly similar to the one at Cornwall Rd., with ramps from both EB and WB TCH 1, each connecting to a small traffic circle (from WB, just a partial circle, since there's no road continuing north of the circle). There is a small bypassed fragment of Main St. south of the interchange, which is not signed with a route number.

You could also mark the old TCH through Cornwall and Clyde River as PEI route 27. The video shows route 27 markers at the west end of the bypass in both directions. This photo I took the day after the bypass opened shows a route 27 marker for the off-ramp for Main St., at the traffic circle at the east end of the bypass.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

X99

Quote from: oscar on October 26, 2019, 08:31:32 PM
Quote from: X99 on October 23, 2019, 12:32:59 PM

Since it's open to traffic, why mark it with construction tags? The part west of the interchange needs some corrections
You kinda answered your own question for me. I can't make those corrections since I don't know what they look like. I live in South Dakota, not Prince Edward Island.

But I see your reasoning. I will mark the rest of the route as open, with a fixme request and a map note at the west end.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Richard3

I dust off that topic just to say...

Yes, it's a super-2.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.