News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bilingual Signs In Nova Scotia.....And It's Not French!

Started by ghYHZ, December 19, 2010, 07:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Some signs seen along the highways of eastern Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island.....

Stephane Dumas

xcellntbuy

For those who do not know, Nova Scotia means "New Scotland" in Latin.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 19, 2010, 08:02:37 PM
It's a variant of Gaelic, Nova Scotia got a wave of Scottish immigrants.......

Yes but the signs are more of a "tourist"  thing........not many residents would speak Gaelic. St Francis Xavier University in Antigonish does have a Celtic Studies Department where Gaelic is taught to help preserve the language.  

Truvelo

The last picture shows a place called Arisaig which also exists in Scotland, together with the Gaelic version called Arasaig. If this was to be in Quebec would the signs have to be trilingual?

Speed limits limit life

Dr Frankenstein

It depends if it's spelled differently in French :p
... or they might just leave English out, like they usually do.

in New Brunswick, though...

english si

Quote from: Truvelo on December 22, 2010, 10:03:13 AM
The last picture shows a place called Arisaig which also exists in Scotland, together with the Gaelic version called Arasaig.
Until I got to that one I was confused, as I couldn't think of a place that would speak Irish Gaelic in North America, as Gaelic is more common in Ireland and the names I recognised as Irish, not Scottish.

mhallack

These signs must be fairly new. Been to Nova Scotia in 96 and 2000, never saw any Gaelic signs anywhere (and have been all thru the province)

Alps

Quote from: mhallack on December 22, 2010, 10:49:05 PM
These signs must be fairly new. Been to Nova Scotia in 96 and 2000, never saw any Gaelic signs anywhere (and have been all thru the province)
They're in Clearview, to answer your question.

ghYHZ

Quote from: mhallack on December 22, 2010, 10:49:05 PM
The signs are recent and a "Tourist"  thing only. They're found in Pictou County where the first Scottish Settlers arrived. In Antigonish County "The Highland Heart Of Nova Scotia"  and Cape Breton Island. You're not going to see them in Halifax or western NS. There is no one in NS speaking only Gaelic where a bilingual sign would be required.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.