News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Canadian Highways Pictures Thread

Started by haljackey, February 16, 2009, 03:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haljackey

Here's a chance for us to show pics of Canadian highways to the rest of the world.  Simply post pics of your favorites here.  Just remember to keep your pics at a max of 800 pixels wide.

I'll start with some pics of Ontario's 400-Series during the wintertime.

401:

Full size: http://www.onthighways.com/hwy_401_images/401_cl_357_west_signs_lg.jpg (1440x960)

Full size: http://www.onthighways.com/hwy_401_images/401_cl_393_west_lg.jpg (1280x960)

403:

QEW:

Now, let's see some more pics from across Canada.

Michael

Is that last picture the Skyway in Hamilton?

haljackey

deathtopumpkins

Nice pics Hal! And thanks for keeping them within the right size.  :cool:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

haljackey

lol DTP, thanks!

Here's some more:

Full Size: http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7672/71654909a6a722d6b9opn7.jpg (3008x2000)

I hope to see some more pics soon!

DanTheMan414

I have to double-check with him, but I may caution you against posting further photos from OntHighways.com until I speak with the webmaster/photographer.  I know he is very sensitive about his photos popping up elsewhere on the web.

un1

Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: DanTheMan474 on February 17, 2009, 01:10:35 PM
I have to double-check with him, but I may caution you against posting further photos from OntHighways.com until I speak with the webmaster/photographer.  I know he is very sensitive about his photos popping up elsewhere on the web.

I don't see why that would be necessary... Hal is not claiming to have taken the pictures himself, and AFAIK pictures posted on most sites are free to be used non-commercially, like posting on a forum, but do feel free to contact him about any concerns. If there are any then it would certainly be possible to require people to post the source when embedding an image.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

broadhurst04

Quote from: haljackey on February 17, 2009, 12:43:28 PM
lol DTP, thanks!

Here's some more:

Was this picture taken in Hamilton? What is that city that appears in the background on the far shore of the lake?

AsphaltPlanet

^ I took that photo, it is of the Red Hill Valley Parkway in Hamilton, shot a couple of weeks before the Highway opened to traffic.  The city on the opposite side of the lake is Toronto.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

St. John's, Newfoundland: Outer Ring Road (TCH1) Canada's eastern most freeway:

Halifax (Dartmouth): Circumferential Highway (NS111):

1995hoo

A lot of my Canadian pictures come from the pre-digital days. Went on a lot of family vacations throughout eastern Canada when I was a kid, but I don't have a negative scanner (though I've thought about getting one) and so can't easily upload old pictures, and I haven't scanned any of the prints. So here are some more recent ones. Except for the last picture, all of them are from a trip to Nova Scotia in July 2008.

^^^^^ Cable ferry near LaHave. I view the ferry as being part of the highway network.

^^^^^ View to the north from the same cable ferry. I found it interesting that the white "Cable Ferry" sign would be facing the water, as anyone already on the ferry presumably knows there's a cable ferry there. I assume the sign is probably intended as a warning to other boaters not to put in at that spot.

^^^^^ Leaving Peggy's Cove. The sign is perfectly accurate that you can go either way to Halifax. I just found it a bit amusing.

^^^^^ The Seal Island Bridge, part of the Trans-Canada Highway on Cape Breton Island.

^^^^^ The Englishtown cable ferry, also on Cape Breton Island. We were en route from Louisbourg to the Keltic Lodge and decided to go this way instead of going further south to the official start of the Cabot Trail.

^^^^^ The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park near Pleasant Bay.

^^^^^ Looking the other way at the same pull-off in the previous picture.

^^^^^ Starting to descend on the western side of the Cabot Trail.

^^^^^ Perhaps THE most famous road picture in Canada? I think everyone who drives the Cabot Trail takes a picture here looking south to Cheticamp if the weather permits.

Finally, this picture is of chemin du Village in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, in January 2006. I like the way they do the four-way stop as a diagram.

Edited to add: The stop sign might be hard to make out in the picture above, so here is that part of the image at full size:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2011, 11:09:21 AM

That is beautiful.  Highway 17 across the top of Lake Superior is similar, though I don't think is quite as dramatic:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

agentsteel53

one from almost the other side of the country: Mackenzie Highway in Alberta - maybe about 75 km south of the Northwest Territories line.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

AsphaltPlanet

^ Cool pic.

A former coworker of mine took a contract position with the Government of Nunavut, she says that the neatest thing about being up there are the Northern Lights.

(Not sure if the lights are that amazing ... or there just isn't that much else going on ... I think the latter).

agentsteel53

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 13, 2011, 08:39:31 PM
(Not sure if the lights are that amazing ... or there just isn't that much else going on ... I think the latter).

I've spent lots of money on airfare and traveled many thousands of miles to see them ... so there is an element of the former.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 13, 2011, 06:23:35 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2011, 11:09:21 AM

(image omitted from quote)

That is beautiful.  Highway 17 across the top of Lake Superior is similar, though I don't think is quite as dramatic:

(image omitted from quote)

Thanks. The Cabot Trail is an amazing drive if the weather is nice, well worth the trip. I've wanted to do the north shore of Lake Superior but have never been able to make the time to go out there. Saw a good portion of the south shore, plus Isle Royale, on a 1987 trip, but we didn't have time to go all the way around to the west and so instead crossed over at Sault Ste. Marie, saw Manitoulin, and then took the ferry to the Bruce Peninsula and headed on back towards the Buffalo area to cross back into the US.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.