News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Longest you've gone without stopping for gas

Started by tidecat, February 17, 2013, 07:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammi

Alps

JKRhodes

On a really good day I can stretch about 340 miles out of my F150, and a fillup is about $70 with current gas prices. We take my wife's vehicle on longer road trips  :D

TEG24601

394 Miles from Dickinson, ND to Alexandria, MN in January 2006.  Driving my 1991 Ford Taurus, on 12 gallons, getting about 32 MPG.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Gnutella

Exactly 400 miles in a 2000 Dodge Dakota (V-6 engine) from a gas station in Brookfield, MO to a gas station in Paducah, KY.

CtrlAltDel

The last time I got gas was on December 23. I should be able to make it three months before I'll need more.

For a nonjoke answer: My car has a 13 gallon tank and gets 38 miles to the gallon, so the maximum distance I could get is just shy of 500 miles. I have never gone nearly that far, though, since I am loath to go below half a tank. My record is a whopping 312 miles or so, from Cheektowaga NY to Lapeer MI via Canada (90-QEW-403-401-402-69), where I did in fact let the tank get below half full in order to avoid having to pay higher Canadian gas prices.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

slorydn1

I'm assuming we are talking about during a trip and not sitting in the driveway unused for months, right?

During my driving years, 483 miles from the Shell station on GA-40 in Kingsland Ga (I-95 Exit 3) to the Shell station near my house in New Bern NC. I did it 4 times in my 2004 F-150 (only about 19 mpg but that 27 gallon tank really gave me range-albeit with a sore wallet).

When I was a kid charting my dad's trips, I do remember 615 miles (roughly) from somewhere around Cleveland Ohio to the Springfield/Union New Jersey area in an 86 Caprice Classic (a 25 gallon tank and we were getting 25+ MPG that day). I wish I could still access my 5.25 inch floppy disk with my old trip info on it, I hate giving un-exact numbers, lol.

My current Mustangs only have 16 gallon tanks, and even though I range from 24-28 mpg on the highway I have never really been able to get farther than 365-370 miles on a tank so far.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

mrfoxboy

The longest I've really gone in one shot was through Québec, in about 40 liters, in March of 2014, in the 2014 Matrix 1.8L 5-speed.
From Rivière Beaudette, QC to Edmunston, NB, via A-20, A-30, A-20, A-85/R-185, works out to approx 600KM. (I hate giving rough numbers, this was before I used Fuelly).
Typically I can touch 6.0 to 6.2 L/100KM in that car in the summer.

jmd41280

Longest I went was 419 miles, from I-77 Exit 65 (Richburg, SC) to I-68 Exit 10 (Morgantown, WV) in my Elantra.  If I recall correctly, I still had a little under 1/4 tank left when I made it to Morgantown.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

SquonkHunter

V-8 1/2 ton pickup with a 34 gallon tank. Longest trip on one tank of gas: Grand Prairie, TX to Van Horn, TX; 501 miles. Still had another 9 gallons (180 miles) left. More than enough to make El Paso. That was one hell of a long ride considering I hit the Great Abilene (TX) Blizzard of Good Friday 1996 on the way. Over 18" of snow and total whiteout conditions between Abilene and Sweetwater. None of which was forecast, of course.  :-/

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm currently planning a 350 mile round trip which I'll attempt to do in one tank. I did a 250 mile one which consumed a little over half a tank, but it was expressway all the way, while this planned trip takes a considerable amount of regular roads, so I expect fuel consumption to be lower.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

I94RoadRunner

Just yesterday I filled up in Lexington, KY and made it to Galesburg, IL including a loop in Cincinnati to clinch I-471 ..... Probably over 500 miles total
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

mrfoxboy

Since my last post I managed (with cautious speed control and relatively flat terrain) to drive 645.8 KM in the Matrix, from Lancaster, ON, through Montréal rush hour traffic, and on to Edmunston, NB. Driving for 40+ KM with the  low fuel light on wakes you up (only used 41L of a 50L tank o.O

PHLBOS

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 01, 2015, 10:47:24 AMMy current Mustangs only have 16 gallon tanks, and even though I range from 24-28 mpg on the highway I have never really been able to get farther than 365-370 miles on a tank so far.
Unless you're running that 'Stang on fumes on those 365-370 runs (which would yield about 23 mpg with a 16 gallon tank); I'm assuming that you still have 2 to 3 gallons in your tank at the time of your fill-ups.

Not sure what year your car is; but on my 2007 model, the 50 MILES TO EMPTY indicator warning shows up when there's about 3 gallons remaining.  During one of my trips to MA; I let that indicator drop to as low as 2 or 3 miles to empty & my fuel gauge lighting turned red (mine has the MyColor feature that allows one to change the color of their instrument panel lighting).  While I did make it the gas station (I forget how many miles were driven from the previous fill-up); I'm not going to push that envelope again.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 21, 2015, 11:45:25 AM
I'm currently planning a 350 mile round trip which I'll attempt to do in one tank.

Just returned from this one. I managed to go 390 miles and still have 1/4 of the tank left. Since my car has a ~12.4 gal tank, I got an astounding 42 mpg in this trip.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

J N Winkler

This afternoon I ended up filling my tank a little earlier than planned when I went out on a two-hour, 104-mile roadtrip with the needle just barely on E.  There were stiff 45° crosswinds nearly all of the way.  About 35 miles into the drive, the needle bottomed out completely.  After a further 47 miles of driving, I felt uncomfortable about going any further, so I stopped for fuel at a Dillons supermarket clear on the other side of town from the one I would ordinarily have used.

I pumped 11.681 gallons into a tank with a book capacity of 12.8 gallons and when I dumped GPS tracks and calculated mileage (I use GPS tracking on my phone since the odometer is nonfunctional), I discovered I had gone 405.3 miles on the tank, so I had gotten 34.6 MPG.  (354 out of the 405.3 miles were highway miles, the remaining fifty or so consisting of city errand-running.)

This is pretty much as far as I like to go on a single tank, since I prefer not to go much below one gallon left in order to keep the fuel pump from burning out.  My all-time tank distance record on this car is 406.1 miles and I have only two other recorded tanks over 400 miles.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 19, 2015, 03:00:04 PM
Just returned from this one. I managed to go 390 miles and still have 1/4 of the tank left. Since my car has a ~12.4 gal tank, I got an astounding 42 mpg in this trip.

Since I haven't filled up yet, today I have hit the 400 mile mark with only one tank :sombrero:. Still a bit less of a quarter tank...

slorydn1

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 16, 2015, 03:41:26 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on March 01, 2015, 10:47:24 AMMy current Mustangs only have 16 gallon tanks, and even though I range from 24-28 mpg on the highway I have never really been able to get farther than 365-370 miles on a tank so far.
Unless you're running that 'Stang on fumes on those 365-370 runs (which would yield about 23 mpg with a 16 gallon tank); I'm assuming that you still have 2 to 3 gallons in your tank at the time of your fill-ups.

Not sure what year your car is; but on my 2007 model, the 50 MILES TO EMPTY indicator warning shows up when there's about 3 gallons remaining.  During on of my trips to MA; I let that indicator drop to as low as 2 or 3 miles to empty & my fuel gauge lighting turned red (mine has the MyColor feature that allows one to change the color of their instrument panel lighting).  While I did make it the gas station (I forget how many miles were driven from the previous fill-up); I'm not going to push that envelope again.

Wife's 2012:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1082

My 2014:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1074

Their fuel logs:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/slorydn1

I have found that when my distance to empty indicates 50 miles (when the low fuel alarm first activates) that I actually have 50 miles plus 2 gallons distance (my 2014 shows fuel consumed in the LCD display and it seems to hit 50 to go right at 12 gallons burned, + or - a few tenths).

I don't like to go inside the 2 gallon buffer so I try not to unless absolutely necessary, although I have done it 3 times in my car and once in my wife's.

My old F-150 was like that too, when I reached zero to go on the monitor I had 2 gallons left (I had quite a few 25+ gallon fuel ups on that 27 gallon tank on long trips through the years)  :biggrin:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

J N Winkler

Refueled this afternoon, after a 41.5-mile drive to, among other things, check out the small hamlet of St. Mary Aleppo in western Sedgwick County.

The damage:  411.3 miles (a new tank record), 34.2 MPG, 12.002 gallons (first fillup to break the 12-gallon barrier, which--for the fuel pump's sake--I prefer not to exceed by much).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Atomica

In my case it is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 425mi from Wichita Falls to Jeff Davis County Texas, or maybe it was Pecos TX to Lawton OK, roughly the same distance, in either case, it  was rather impressive for my 2000 Cadillac Seville, Northstar V8, which crossed the 100 000mi mark on the way back from a concert in El Paso.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

CNGL-Leudimin

And finally filled up after 435 miles (I prefer it in metric, which gives the round figure of 700 km). Since I know there are still ~2 gal in the tank when the bar drops to zero, I may have gotten as far as 52 mpg in my last roadtrip!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.