News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Will weather be a problem driving I-70 thru Glenwood Canyon in April next year?

Started by QB93Z, November 09, 2013, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB93Z

Hello, I am planning a vacation road trip to the Southwest (Maryland to San Diego & return) for April, 2014 and I would like to make the return leg on I-70 thru Glenwood Canyon.  For the third week in April, can I expect good weather, or will I have to worry about getting rerouted due to snow?

Thanks,  Jim

SSOWorld

Don't bet on it being good for sure.  You have a good chance of snow there.  I drove through the rockies on May 27 of this year and there was snow at the divide.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thenetwork

Glenwood Canyon in April and May can be feast or famine when it comes to snowy roads.  The good news is by April, if there is any snow on the roads through the canyon area, it is usually short-lived and well treated/plowed by midday.  The speed through most of Glenwood Canyon is 45 - 50 MPH and going eastbound is a bit better than westbound as the latter is up on the bridges most of it's length.

Further east, going over Vail Pass and through the Eisenhower Tunnels, there is a better chance of snow into Mid-late May, but if there are closures, they are usually short-lived by then (a few hours or less).  CDOT is pretty good at keeping the roads passable.

One word of advice -- if your trip through the Colorado Mountains is on a Sunday in April, make sure you get past Vail before 11 AM!  Otherwise, you will have the normal Denver-bound ski traffic going home with an extra helping of Spring Break Ski-bums, creating a lot of jams all the way to Idaho Springs.

Billy F 1988

Map out a couple bypass routes in case you need to dip south or head north of I-70 to be rid of the skiers traveling between Vail and Idaho Springs. It would be best to map out actually five or six routes just in case if you're on 70, and something happens where you need to detour from course, you have at least a few options to choose from so you're not scrambling to get out of 70 to bypass trouble only to get yourself in further trouble.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

QB93Z

Thank you for the replies.  I will certainly make contingency plans.

Jim

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.