News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coloring the Utah Beehive

Started by Rover_0, February 10, 2012, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Rover_0 on March 08, 2012, 12:07:28 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 07, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on March 07, 2012, 05:39:30 PM
How about 'coral'? It is an official FHWA color, but it hasn't been used. Might work well with Utah's desert landscape.
I think we in the southwest would call that "adobe". It's a color used extensively on the structural members of bridges in New Mexico, often with turquoise trim.

I'm confused, though; I thought coral was this pinkish color (not unlike fluorescent pink), but according to the Traffic Sign website, it's more of a brick red. Not a bad color choice, and it could fit Utah nicely.
Coral is more of the Crayola color Melon. Don't look at it online, you'll get the wrong idea.

CenVlyDave

Being a native Californian, I am partial to the Green BG, but I also like the Blue BG, and I do not mean the sissy light blue, lol.  The only issue with the Blue BG is that blue is normally used to sign motorist services, food, gas, lodging, and hospitals.  Also blue is used as the background for Rest Areas and water turnouts on mountain passes.  With all this said, I definetley like the Blue BG, but the Green BG is more practical.

Desert Man

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 10, 2012, 04:49:16 PM
I've mentioned to UDOT the concept of using color on the Utah state highway shield, wherein my message has been sent to the appropriate UDOT employee on what the deal is. I mentioned South Carolina and how they went from a black-and-white shield to a blue-and-white one, as well as Colorado's, Vermont's, and some others (Washington and their occasional non-BGS green-background signs were mentioned by them). I also stated that these signs would be put up as the old black-and-white ones are taken down, and I should've mentioned that these signs could also help unify a single beehive design.

I also sent them some sample pictures to give them an idea on what the shield would look like, and I left out red, black/yellow, and orange in order to avoid confusion with common caution/warning/construction signs. Here are some example mockups (colors are approximate):

Light Blue on Black Background

Blue BG

Brown BG

Light Blue BG

Green BG

Purple BG

What looks best to each of you? Would any of you give any of these a chance?

Good idea, Bro! I recommend a gold/yellow colored sign to fit the beehive scheme (since bees are yellow and the gold found in them bare hills in Utah)...but the color is used for road construction purposes and yield signs.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

nexus73

I like the "sissy" light blue as it is the color of the clear skies.  Utah has plenty of them!  The green sign is also attractive.  Both of these colors offer effective contrast to my eyes and they're not the best...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

"sissy blue" ( :-D ) works great in my opinion

but have we thought about a cutout beehive?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 11, 2012, 06:05:43 AMI do not think light blue is a MUTCD-approved color. 

Kansas City uses it for some of their guide signage.  (at least, as of 2006) downtown attractions are on a two-part sign.  standard blue background with white text, and then below that a light blue background with icons. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Guys. Can I be honest? I think I like black and white the best.

But if in some alternate universe it had to be changed, I'd go for Kansas-sunflower-shield yellow.
Infrastructure. The city.

Alps

Quote from: CL on August 01, 2012, 12:52:37 PM
But if in some alternate universe it had to be changed, I'd go for Kansas-sunflower-shield yellow.
This. I actually grew up thinking it was yellow, probably because it was a beehive (I only visited the state once).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.