News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-17Fain Rd connector, new link to Prescott

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 04, 2012, 07:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

AZDOT study a new road who'll like I-17 and Fain Road near Prescott
http://www.azdot.gov/highways/projects/I17_FainRd/Index.asp with a map showing the various studied alignments.

A bit off-topic, here a video showing the reconfiguration of I-17/AZ-69 interchange.

The High Plains Traveler

That very strange AZ-89A freeway around the north side of Prescott Valley will make much more sense with this connection.

Interesting to me how ADOT put so much into improving AZ-69, the historic Black Canyon Highway, between Cordes Junction and Prescott over the past 30 plus years, and now it is implementing that road's successor - at least as the main connection between Prescott and I-17. Prescott Valley's growth around AZ-69 has really made this necessary.

The west extension of the 89A freeway, Pioneer Parkway, has an interesting end at Williamson Valley Road. It almost looks like ultimately the highway will be extended from there, though it gets mountainous quickly west from that point. The I-11 Arizona planning map on that road's web site also shows a "Prescott West Loop" that this could be part of. Terrain along AZ-89 south of Prescott would be pretty challenging for major expansion, so it would seem logical to look at an Iron Springs Road/Skull Valley route.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

national highway 1

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 04, 2012, 07:11:25 PM.
A bit off-topic, here a video showing the reconfiguration of I-17/AZ-69 interchange.

That I-17 shield reminds me of those white square interstate shields they have in Washington.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

swbrotha100

I got to drive around Prescott and Prescott Valley a few weeks ago. I was shocked to see that AZ 89A has a freeway segment. AZ 69 looks like it could maybe have a freeway segment near its south end. It would be nice to see a safer road that goes from the Prescott area towards Flagstaff, or some parkway or 4-lane divided highway to go north or northwest up to I-40.

akotchi

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was just in this area over the last few days.  The exits on the freeway carry the AZ 89A mileposts, but the mileposts continue on the Fain Road connection to AZ 69, even after AZ 89A peels off toward Jerome.  Will the Fain road connection carry a state highway designation?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: akotchi on September 09, 2012, 08:04:03 PM
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was just in this area over the last few days.  The exits on the freeway carry the AZ 89A mileposts, but the mileposts continue on the Fain Road connection to AZ 69, even after AZ 89A peels off toward Jerome.  Will the Fain road connection carry a state highway designation?
I haven't seen the Arizona highway log recently, but at one time it had AZ-48 for Fain Road. If you look at the plans for the extension to I-17 above, though, it refers to the portion of Fain Road that is mileposted as AZ-89A Spur (spur of an alternate...interesting concept). What the final route would be called isn't referenced in the alignment study above, but many of the corridors parallel AZ-69 - or a 69/169 combination - fairly closely. Since the final total route would trend southeastward from Prescott, it would make a continuation of the NB 89 mileposts along the new route a little non-systematic. One of those little details that would have to be worked out in the end.

akotchi

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 09, 2012, 11:25:02 PM
I haven't seen the Arizona highway log recently, but at one time it had AZ-48 for Fain Road. If you look at the plans for the extension to I-17 above, though, it refers to the portion of Fain Road that is mileposted as AZ-89A Spur (spur of an alternate...interesting concept). What the final route would be called isn't referenced in the alignment study above, but many of the corridors parallel AZ-69 - or a 69/169 combination - fairly closely. Since the final total route would trend southeastward from Prescott, it would make a continuation of the NB 89 mileposts along the new route a little non-systematic. One of those little details that would have to be worked out in the end.
I saw that, but I also think that would be an unusual designation.  Perhaps another AZ x69 route would work better for now.

Interesting to note that one of the figures in the presentation provided on the webpage showed the state routes with U.S. shields, which they were at one time . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: akotchi on September 10, 2012, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 09, 2012, 11:25:02 PM
I saw that, but I also think that would be an unusual designation.  Perhaps another AZ x69 route would work better for now.

Interesting to note that one of the figures in the presentation provided on the webpage showed the state routes with U.S. shields, which they were at one time . . .

I think the Spur 89A designation is temporary, since I don't think the state maintains all of Fain Road, but just the portion to the projected point where the new connector will take off. Also, Arizona has been getting away from the xNN numbering for the past 20 years or so. Since Arizona has a relatively low state highway density for the existing road network, I wonder whether, once the new connector is finally completed, the current AZ-69 will revert to county/city control.

hm insulators

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 04, 2012, 07:11:25 PM
AZDOT study a new road who'll like I-17 and Fain Road near Prescott
http://www.azdot.gov/highways/projects/I17_FainRd/Index.asp with a map showing the various studied alignments.

Now I know what that second new bridge just north of the junction is going to be. (I took a day trip to Flagstaff last month and was wondering what the extra bridge was going to be for.)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: hm insulators on September 12, 2012, 04:56:15 PM

Now I know what that second new bridge just north of the junction is going to be. (I took a day trip to Flagstaff last month and was wondering what the extra bridge was going to be for.)

And here one more video, posted on August 28, showing the progress of the interchange reconfiguration.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.